Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Water filtration

I just picked up a MSR sweet water brand new in the bag with extra filter and pre filter for $5 on a garage sale...all the seals are still on the filters, how long is the shelf life on these filters?

I use the" msr Sweetwater" alot. I have used it in the Grand Canyon and in Colorado also and it has worked flawlessly both times. I really like mine because it thread right on top of a Nalgene bottle and that is one less thing to worry about when you are trying to get drinking water. It may not be as small or compact as some other models out there but then again when you have big hand like I do, it is nice to have a product that I can easily work with. I hope that helps.

I use the Sawyer squeeze filter and I don't plan on using anything else. It works great and doesn't take up much room or weight.

I have used the msr Sweetwater pump filter for many years and still happy with it. I have replaced the carbon filter once and it still works great. It may be psychological, but when drinking Sweetwater filtered water from a backcountry clear stream in the heat of summer it seems to taste especially sweet, refreshing, and thirst quenching.

Used it for a week of volunteer trail work in the Bob Marshall WA and became the delegated water filter pump guy because the Sweetwater seemed to operate more quickly than other filters.

I use the vario with no problems.Fills up our water jugs pretty quick that last about 3 days.

Katadyn base camp, 5 gallon jug and Platypus water bladders. I've used this setup for four hunters without any trouble. Somebody must do water duty while dinner is being cooked. Make lunches and fill the bladders at night, then start another batch through the filter before lights out. You will always have plenty of water from a base camp. Never done a back pack hunt.

I had my son dip his pacifier in a stock tank and then back into his mouth once. Seems like the kid had diarrhea for a month afterwards. I'm glad people are filtering. However there still are a few springs I'll drink from with out a filter.

Fin,

The Katadyn Base Camp gravity filter is great. A group of four went bou hunting on the south side of the Brooks range on the Noatak, first trip we were pumping with two MSR filter for what seemed like a hour plus each day to give us sufficient water supply. The second trip I bought the Katadyn Base Camp,fill it up hang it up and let gravity do all the work while you are attending to other chores.

I always carry the katadyn hiker and have never had any problems with it. Works great!! For basecamp, I have 5 gal military water jugs. I take 3 for a 3 day trip and I always come back with water left over. Better to have enough than not enough..

When backpacking or backcountry hunting, I've been using a Katadyn Hiker for around a dozen years and have never had a problem with it or with getting sick (and I've purified some nasty looking water).

For base camp I've got six 5-gallon jugs and refill them whenever I'm near a good water source (town or campground). If I'm concerned, I add tablets to the jugs as as added precaution also.

We used a Katadyn base camp filter. It works good, BUT:

1) it doesn't store filtered water, only unfiltered water in the bladder, so be prepared to have containers that you can leave behind for the day to have filled while you're gone

2) the plastic tube coming out of the bottom of the filter is flimsy (because it's lightweight); so it moves all over the place in the breeze. It moves easily enough to knock over my lexan bottles that I'm trying to fill with filtered water. It's disappointing to come back to camp and find all of the filtered water drained into the ground.

3) To fill the bladder, you dunk the entire system into the creek/pond/etc. Then seal it up, hang it up, and down below you put the filter tube into your bottle. The problem is, the outside of the system is covered with unfiltered water, and it drains down the outside of the bladder, down to the outside of the tube, and flows right into your bottle.

Keith

In preparation for my visit i have bought the Katadyn vario, very pleased with it so far, i also have the platypus bladder.
Just to be on the safe side i also have some sterilising tabs in case of a filter failure.
Cheers
Richard

Back