Water filtration

I have the Katadyn Hiker and the Steri-Pen. So far, no problems with the Steri-Pen, you just have to think about where you store it in your pack. Yeah, if you toss it in the bottom, you'll probably break the bulb, but as long as you are marginally careful, it does just fine. I put lithium batteries in it and used it on 2 4-5 day backpacking trips with no problems and just the one set of batteries. That being said, you don't get the volume out of it that you do from a larger filter like the Katadyn, but it sure does save some space in the bag. But I never go anywhere without my trusty steel mug (I think it holds 2 cups) that I can use if I absolutely had to boil water. I also should note that I wouldn't want to use it on water that was turbid.

I have used both the Katadyn gravity filter and hiker for years and love them both. I run catarafts on river trips and do not like to carry the extra weight of water containers that some rafters do so I carry both filters. The gravity filter is slow but for base camp who cares. I've used the hiker on several long backpack trips as well and have never had a problem. I would buy the Vario if I was going to buy a new one but the Hiker is fast enough for me. One thing with both but especially with the gravity filter, the cleaner the water to start with, the faster the filter will work. I bought the gravity filter the first year it was out and used it on the Salmon River. I used the water out of the main river and the small sand and dirt particles clogged the filter and it slowed way down. I used water from the small side streams and had no problem. The next time I had to use main river water, I used a 5 gallon bucket and let the water settle for an hour before I used it and had no problem. Much better than straining with your teeth!

I have the Pur Hiker, but prefer to use the Aquamira as well. Cuts down on the weight and bulk, and easy to stomach when compared with the iodine.

I tried using a Katadyn water bottle this year, and it was frustration. I resorted to Iodine tables with the neutralizing tablets and was very pleased tasted good.
I use a 3-liter camelbak with water and. one water bottle with flavored energy mix and usually had water left over at the end of each day.
If I were going to do this a lot, I would check into one of the gravity filters, The MSR gets good reviews

Katadyn Hiker Pro. It fills a bottle fast enough. Probably wouldn't be great for large scale filtering at base camp, I usually have lots of water in my truck so I never really worry about filtering large quantities.

I prefer the iodine tabs with clearing tabs option. Tried a Katadyn base camp water filter this year and it was the first time in 15 yrs of backcountry hunting that I have gotten sick. Water tasted great and it was really handy, but It was a rough couple weeks after the hunt. Luckily it didn't hit until I was back to civilization. I would like to think it must have been user error of some sort, but it will be hard to trust it again. I think I will stick with the iodine...

I have an MSR pump filter that I seldom use. Iodine has been considered the standard for water treatment in that it was the only thing that would kill everything, bacteria, protozoans, cysts and viruses. For a water filter to be effective, it must not allow any particles larger than 0.2 microns (0.000008") to pass through the filter. Some viruses are smaller than that. Filters with that small a pore size plug up easily and usually require a pump. If the filter doesn't say 0.2 micron rating, then be suspicious of it. If water flows easily through the filter, it probably has a larger pore size. If you use a filter with a larger pore size, then you need to follow the filter with a disinfectant, usually Iodine, but Chlorine Dioxide is an alternative. Iodine gives the water a tang, but should not pose a hazard in the short term. It's been used by the military since the second world war. Thirty minutes is the normal residence time for chemical treatment, meaning wait thirty minutes before drinking any of the water. If I were way out in the country and had no source of clean water, I would probably use filtration followed by disinfection. A one micron filter should be good enough for that. Most back country water sources are probably OK, but there is no certainty.

If you have a filter system that uses a ceramic filter, it can be cleaned by scraping the outside of the ceramic element. The ceramic filter catches the debris on its surface. Filament filters can't be cleaned in the field.

I use the katadyn hiker pro at 11 oz its worth the weight even on a day trip.

Same here but it is very slow for filtering large amounts of water at base camp. I am very interested in the new tablets or those Aqua drops. Might have to give those a try this year.

For large amounts or a base camp type situation, I'd really like to try one of the big gravity filters. As long as it got the critters out of the water it can't suck worse than pumping no matter how long it takes.

When I backpack into areas, having plenty of drinkable water is the key. So, I pack in a gravity base camp filtering system (ceramic filter). My hunting partner will pack in a collapsible 5 gallon plastic container. With this set-up, you'll have plenty of water.......simply fill up the filter reservoir and let it run into the container. Fill as necessary. Great tasting water and you won't have to ration it.

Last edited:
I use the Aquamira tablets and have not had a problem. They are compact and light weight and it doesn't taste bad either. At times I will mix in gatoraide with it for some flavor.

CABugle

(I knew I saw this thread somewhere. Placed this under gear) Spent Sunday at the Sportmen's Expo in Denver and ran across various water filters from a company called Seychelle. They look pretty impressive and very inexpensive compared to the others on the market. I know there was a thread somewhere on the site discussing filters so I thought I would post this here. I have ordered one online will let you know how it works - the demo that was given by the distributor was pretty interesting but since he did not have a website I held off until I could do some more research. If anyone knows more about these please post. Website Seychelle.com.

Ron

Well I finally got a chance to test the Seychelle filter bought the pitcher for camp and the advanced bottle filters to 99,99999 retail $31.99. Both worked very well and the water tasted great. Added some mud in the bottle and squeezed and nothing got through. Tried up on a creek in the foot hills outside of Denver. Think it is a pretty good deal saw the same in the Cabellas catalog for $40+ ouch. Found this code on the net "snwfb" took 50% off the price. Bought two more bottles today one for my wife and son. As a disclaimer I have no interest in this company or product. Much better than those tablets.
Ron

Randy,

I use the Katadyn as a base camp water filter, the MSR Miox for pack in trips. I always have a colapsable 5 gallon cube and treat/filter water each night when required. I too require lots of H2O while on my boots, especially at altitude.

Good Day

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back