Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wasted bull and poor choices story

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
can the landowner shoot you for trespassing?
How much trouble do you get in if you just started to process it and the warden showed up?
There is a public hunting spot I have hunted where the deer come from private onto this section of public to feed in the ag fields. My buddy shot a buck 100 yards downhill from the border of private and the buck turned, ran back uphill, cleared the fence, and died 10 yards on the wrong side of the line. Perfect double lung shot. Called the warden and he got in touch with the landowner to get us permission to drag the buck back under the fence. All we had to do was mail the landowner coupon back in exchange. Had the answer been, "no you can't go get him", I think I would have lost cell reception and the buck would have come back to life and struggled to the right side of the fence.

can the landowner shoot you for trespassing?
How much trouble do you get in if you just started to process it and the warden showed up?
That’s called murder and we have some rather strict regulations about it, despite what some landowners might think.

If you’re there cutting it up without permission you’re trespassing.

He has the shot on video. It would be cool to see it but doubt we will get to.

Pretty sure that sheep was limping on hind leg prior to having her rear landing gear taken out. Chit happens, pity parties don't
Where are you getting this intel? [edit: Nevermind, see it on the slide]

Last edited:
Who knows where the landowner or game warden were or what their circumstances were.
While technically legally allowed to go on "any lands or waters", wardens around here aren't in the business of violating a landowners wishes to help someone recover an animal. While I've arbitrated a few disputes generally it's between you and the landowner. You made the mess, figure it out. Owning private property comes with certain rights, the right to tell someone to buzz off being one of them... animal wasted or not

He has the shot on video. It would be cool to see it but doubt we will get to.

Pretty sure that sheep was limping on hind leg prior to having her rear landing gear taken out. Chit happens, pity parties don't
I watched the shooting one time, and that was all I could take. I thought as well that he hit her in the back half with the first shot, but was hard to tell with the way she was running.

The immediate whooping after that sequence of shots did not set well with me.......oh well.....

I had a similar situation where I shot a bull with a rifle and it made it to private. Long story short the landowner gave this non resident permission to get the elk and even drove his side by side in some sketchy terrain to get it. It was a roller coaster of emotion for me first being told in a not so polite manner no. Contacting the local game warden for assistance. After talking with the landowners son that helped me I understand why they don't just allow people to retrieve game/trespass on their land. People do it anyway, they have even had trespassers push them and run off. If word got out that they allowed people to retrieve game on their land then people would simply just shoot game on them and claim it ran on them from public. The land owners son and I are friends but I hope I never have to ask permission to trespass on them again and will take extra measures to prevent it.

I had a similar situation where I shot a bull with a rifle and it made it to private. Long story short the landowner gave this non resident permission to get the elk and even drove his side by side in some sketchy terrain to get it. It was a roller coaster of emotion for me first being told in a not so polite manner no. Contacting the local game warden for assistance. After talking with the landowners son that helped me I understand why they don't just allow people to retrieve game/trespass on their land. People do it anyway, they have even had trespassers push them and run off. If word got out that they allowed people to retrieve game on their land then people would simply just shoot game on them and claim it ran on them from public. The land owners son and I are friends but I hope I never have to ask permission to trespass on them again and will take extra measures to prevent it.

Yep! You see here, it’s hunters that ruin it for other hunters. If we all respected private we wouldn’t have issues. Shut gates, pick up trash, ask for permission only when necessary or an honest situation.

“I’m shooting a .28 Nosler,” he said. “The bullet blew though both shoulders and both lungs. But what happened was, my bullet was blowing through so fast because the shot was close, it just made a tiny hole.”

This line is killer. Shot through both lungs don't live 2 hours.

Reminds me of a guy I use to work with. He had the same line on most everything he shot, " I hit it perfect just a little far back." Rifle or bow, it didn't matter. He was originally from Austin, so I cut him some slack.

Last edited:
“I’m shooting a .28 Nosler,” he said. “The bullet blew though both shoulders and both lungs. But what happened was, my bullet was blowing through so fast because the shot was close, it just made a tiny hole.”

This line is killer. Shot through both lungs don't live 2 hours.

Reminds me of a guy I use to work with. He had the same line on most everything he shot, " I hit it perfect just a little far back." Rifle or bow, it didn't matter. He was originally from Austin, so I cut him some slack.
I'm going to guess there is a picture floating around of this perfect shot and it will show a hole about 12" behind a double shoulder/lung shot. 😉

“The bullet blew though both shoulders and both lungs. But what happened was, my bullet was blowing through so fast because the shot was close, it just made a tiny hole.”
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the opposite happen? In my experience, at close ranges, the bullet, having more energy, just explodes when it hits the animal. At farther distances, the bullet has less energy, so it merely punches a hole. I rememeber shooting a cow at 60 yards and it looked like her lungs exploded, large entrance wound. Another cow, shot at 295 yards, had a small entrance wound and the bullet was intact against the inside of the hide on the other side.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the opposite happen? In my experience, at close ranges, the bullet, having more energy, just explodes when it hits the animal. At farther distances, the bullet has less energy, so it merely punches a hole. I rememeber shooting a cow at 60 yards and it looked like her lungs exploded, large entrance wound. Another cow, shot at 295 yards, had a small entrance wound and the bullet was intact against the inside of the hide on the other side.

Conventional wisdom is that higher velocity and higher penetration resistance = more bullet disruption/expansion/fragmentation. I've never seen info backing faster velocity contributing to penciling through. Seen plenty of people share instances with very narrow wound channels from monolithic bullets though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back