Wasted bull and poor choices story

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
Curious to your assessment of our neighbors blind 🙄

We border him on 2 sides red line.

View attachment 243673

It’s insulting to put a blind there in the first place. He’s basically saying either 1: he is beyond dumb when it comes to hunting or 2: He’s openly hunting your land.

Something like that deserves a notice that they aren’t allowed on your land before you even hear of them trespassing.

It’s insulting to put a blind there in the first place. He’s basically saying either 1: he is beyond dumb when it comes to hunting or 2: He’s openly hunting your land.

Something like that deserves a notice that they aren’t allowed on your land before you even hear of them trespassing.
Clearly you guys don't hunt out east as that is normal practice pretty much everywhere. The difference is that if the animal was shot legally on property you have permission on, you can through "legal ways" access property you don't have permission on

Question.
Is it trespassing in Wyoming to put a finisher in a wounded bull you can see 20 yards over the fence? Obviously far better to let is slowly bleed out just to be sure.

I 've never understood a landowners reluctance to allow retrieval of wounded game. mtmuley
If he had used a RUM this would never be a story... (queue caliber chit storm in 3.2.1...)

Ever been a landowner that frequently had people hunting your property boundary?

Lots of different situations but the story doesn't get the landowner's point of view. If I were a landowner that had a rare occasion where someone clearly shot an animal off my land that died on my land, of course you want that animal to be retrieved and go to good use. If I am a landowner that is providing habitat/food and refuge for wildlife from nearby hunting pressure and frequently have people camped out on the property line, sometimes not being able to resist temptation to shoot onto my property even, i'm going to go out of my way to discourage people from hunting the property line.
I have found people on my property who said they were looking for wounded game. Too bad they never came to my door first. 400+ yard shots with a P.O.S. REM 760 which he couldn't tell me the zero range on. "I dunno, I sighted it in when I lived in Maine a couple of years ago. I think it's maybe around a hundred...." I helped him follow the blood trail until it left our property and gave him the number of the other neighbor. I asked him to call or come to the door next time.

I've bitched here before about the renters behind us. The universe re-adjusted last year and there are new resident owners that we really like.

Last edited:
The private place I have access to hunt is pretty small. I can almost see every fence from where I sit. One neighbor is nice and I can retrieve a deer if needed. I do my best to make sure that I can drop them on my side. Several years ago I was hunting the very last day and shot a doe that crossed over the line to a different owner's side. This guy was from the Chicago area and bought a parcel from my friend who gives me permission to hunt. He wasn't there and I didn't know his number. Not wanting to leave my deer for the coyotes I went and got it. The very next day he showed up and saw the tracks in the snow and called it in. The warden found me eventually and got my story. Understood my situation and relayed the info to the landowner. Guy pressed charges anyway and I got a hunting deer without permission ticket. To make it worse, this guy mostly used his place to get access to the backcountry property of the neighborhood. Without asking. I learned the hard way about Illinois not letting you recover without permission and wardens can only contact the owner but cannot do anything else.

Clearly you guys don't hunt out east as that is normal practice pretty much everywhere. The difference is that if the animal was shot legally on property you have permission on, you can through "legal ways" access property you don't have permission on

Funny assumption. Based on @wllm’s picture it looked like the blind was sitting on a fenced in sand lot that appears to only possess characteristics that would make it undesirable for game compared to the area surrounding it.

I’m familiar with the practice out east as I live in MN and own a square 40 which I only hunt the edges of to minimize intrusion into the heart of the property. I have a neighbor that sits just on the other side of my NW corner and in turn blows his scent into what would be the best bedding area on my property when a cold front and NW winds roll in. That’s his right. The difference is the deer are actually likely to be on his property to be shot from that stand. I also hunt near our property line. I highly doubt @wllm’s fam goes to hang out by dudes sandy yard and hunt his fenceline.

Last edited:
The private place I have access to hunt is pretty small. I can almost see every fence from where I sit. One neighbor is nice and I can retrieve a deer if needed. I do my best to make sure that I can drop them on my side. Several years ago I was hunting the very last day and shot a doe that crossed over the line to a different owner's side. This guy was from the Chicago area and bought a parcel from my friend who gives me permission to hunt. He wasn't there and I didn't know his number. Not wanting to leave my deer for the coyotes I went and got it. The very next day he showed up and saw the tracks in the snow and called it in. The warden found me eventually and got my story. Understood my situation and relayed the info to the landowner. Guy pressed charges anyway and I got a hunting deer without permission ticket. To make it worse, this guy mostly used his place to get access to the backcountry property of the neighborhood. Without asking. I learned the hard way about Illinois not letting you recover without permission and wardens can only contact the owner but cannot do anything else.

I think this Josh guy works for university of IL, funny he isn’t making PSAs about the law there..

Edit to add- Odd about the “hunting without permission” charge - if you didn’t shoot the deer on his property or enter property with a weapon, how do they charge you with hunting? Seems like it should be a trespassing ticket. I’ve no idea which charge is worse, maybe the hunting without permission is a better one to have on your record?

I know in MN it is legal to trespass to retrieve game without permission IF you don’t carry a weapon and have not been told to stay off by landowner.

Last edited:
I think this Josh guy works for university of IL, funny he isn’t making PSAs about the law there..

Edit to add- Odd about the “hunting without permission” charge - if you didn’t shoot the deer on his property or enter property with a weapon, how do they charge you with hunting? Seems like it should be a trespassing ticket. I’ve no idea which charge is worse, maybe the hunting without permission is a better one to have on your record?

I know in MN it is legal to trespass to retrieve game without permission IF you don’t carry a weapon and have not been told to stay off by landowner.
Don't know which charge is worse. Doesn't matter. It's been a while now and it sure was funny that shortly after the guy had me written up his trailer he left parked on his place had a raccoon find it's way in through a roof vent. Darn thing just couldn't find it's way back out! 🤷‍♂️

Whether the landowner wants to let the hunter on his property to retrieve the bull is his choice ......not finding a way to put the animal down (either by call F&W and getting permission himself or calling and LE agency to do it) makes him a pissy POS.
The hunter should had called fish and game. He doesn't need the landowner's permission to use the phone

Once I read this, there was no need to continue "The bull made it about 20 yards back onto the private ranch property before it couldn’t move any farther, he said".
He's too close imo. We deal with the same issue here and the same 2 hunters know they will not enter the property without being trespassed and have known it for a few years now.

The hunter should had called fish and game. He doesn't need the landowner's permission to use the phone
You should read a little closer. The fish and game verified that they DID speak with the hunter and told him it was up to the landowner. The ball was entirely in HIS court to end the suffering of the animal. In no way am I suggesting he let the hunter TAKE the bull, but to allow him to end the animals suffering is just human freaking decency. Instead he chose to "stand on principle", let an animal suffer for hours and whine like a child. POS every day of the week......bad human.......sack of excrement ......take your pick.

BTW, I have seen well shot bulls travel over a mile before crashing.....how far away it was from the boundary makes zero difference as to the end.

You should read a little closer. The fish and game verified that they DID speak with the hunter and told him it was up to the landowner. The ball was entirely in HIS court to end the suffering of the animal. In no way am I suggesting he let the hunter TAKE the bull, but to allow him to end the animals suffering is just human freaking decency. Instead he chose to "stand on principle", let an animal suffer for hours and whine like a child. POS every day of the week......bad human.......sack of excrement ......take your pick.

BTW, I have seen well shot bulls travel over a mile before crashing.....how far away it was from the boundary makes zero difference as to the end.

The boundary absolutely matters. You said it yourself; an elk can travel a long way once shot. It's silly to shoot an animal that close to the property line without prior arrangements/permission to retrieve an animal. I get that permission every year or avoid the edges. I also have 2 guys that get reminded annually not enter a specific property if they wound an animal. They bow hunt treestands on the fence line lol. To top it off, they are hunting less than 12 acres when 1/2 mile down the road is about 80,000 public acres.

A few years ago a buddy of mine shot an elk that went several hundred yards and crossed onto private. The game warden negotiated access for him to recover the animal but the landowner charged him $400.00 to do it! It was a cow elk. Ouch!
Guess he had a cheap trespass fee hunt 🙄

Wow! Can't believe I only just saw this.

For my money, I do think the landowner was wrong to leave the bull to die like that. (IF that's really how it happened.) But the bulk of culpability in this goat rope goes to Joshua.

Problem number one:

"He was sitting there wounded, suffering,” Sunberg, of Iowa, told Cowboy State Daily on Tuesday. “I couldn’t shoot him again, because that would have made me a poacher."

I'm sorry but better a poacher than a coward. If you're that certain that the bull is going to die and have exhausted all avenues to legally retrieve him, get out that .28 Nosler and put one between his eyes. Either that, or shut up and quit pretending it bothers you in the first place.

Problem number two:

"The bullet blew though both shoulders and both lungs. But what happened was, my bullet was blowing through so fast because the shot was close, it just made a tiny hole.”

THIS is BS. Both shoulders and both lungs should've killed that bull in less than two hours. And even in the case of bad bullet performance above, how does Joshua know that's what happened? Did he trespass to check the wound channel? If yes, why is he comfortable trespassing but not "poaching"? If no, how the hell does he know that? (And why didn't the reporter ask him that last question?)

Finally, all the whining about how far he walked or how he flipped his truck or how a mean rancher yelled at him once has nothing to do with him making what was likely a poor shot on a bull too close to a property line.

This is the kind of thing that pushes residents towards a more disfavorable view of NRs and I think it should be seen as such.

But in conclusion, if we can learn anything it's here, from the best piece if advice in the whole thread:

My own rule: If I’m within 300 yards of the property boundary, I must be between the animal and the line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back