Washington Youth Season

Cameron Hunt

Hi guys !!! Well the Wa. Youth Season was a good start for things to come. My Son Mark just got his hunter ed. and flew up from Ca. where I gave him his first new shotgun Huglu 12ga. O/U. And we hit the woods that day. About 7:30 we found the birds heading to the Roost. So up at 4:30 and downed the coffe, and hit the road. At 9:00 we started working a few (7 or so) birds. Well 3 jakes came a calling. Mark was sitting down with a large rock on his left and a tree to his back, I was on his left and Kevin was on my left with the Video. The Jakes decided to make a left turn and come down to the road with some trees between us. At that time I told Mark to turn, which he did. The Jakes hit the road and started toward the decoys. With my back to the birds, I told him to shoot. And with that Mark harvested his first turkey (Merriams).

As he said later that day....... First time hunting, First Turkey, One shot. Gotta love those 14 year olds.

And as I walked back to camp with Mark carring his bird over his shoulder, and Kevin carrying his video camera, I found a large smile cross my face.

I also have to give thanks to Keven, He took time out of his holliday weekend to spend time with us and video a young hunter on his first hunt. Hopefully he can get some pics up for you guys.
Next week we are off to eastern Wa. for the general season. Hope to read some good stories from all of you. Congrats to you that have already scored !!!!!!

WTG Mark! Congrats on your first turkey. :cool:

I know how you feel Cameron. Nothing quite like that emotion of a proud Dad.
elkgrin.gif

Cant wait for the pics.

That is one of the best stories I have ever read. Tell your son congrats from us at Hunt Talk. I can see why you would have a smile on your face. That was nice of Kevin to take the vids for you.

Congrats to your boy. Sounds as if it went perfectly. I am looking forward to pics.

Ya everything went well. I hope that we are going to have that much luck on our opener. I asked him if he wanted to stay another night and try to shoot another on sunday. He said that he wanted to wait and try with us guys. But he can get two more.

Hey Russ, I have a friend that lives in Idaho, his brother fights fires with you. His name is Chris, I cant think of the last name right now. he lives in souther Id. I will look up his last name in the addy book when I get home.

Great looking bird, thanks for the pic Kevin...
And Cameron, I will look forward to finding out who it is you know that I know... ;)
Russ...

Cameron, Missed your Call... Running 100 Miles/hour

Call me at the Office (208)342-3144 durring the day. I can Pretend it's work related that way ;)

Nice job, was there alot of youth hunters out. Did you guys see on the WDFW page that they might make a regular fall turkey season up in the colville-selkirk areas and couple more units because theres so many turkeys. Wont need a permit.

Hey Kirk we only saw one other father son combo in the woods last weekend in Goldendale,but man there were sure alot of birds in there tho.
Yeah Kirk there will be a genral season in the fall now for birds in select units but then there will also be a drawing for other units.IMO it is about time there are so many Merriams up in there its getting out of hand.This year we did the most trap and transplants ever for this state.
You still heading to that same area this year.How many birds have you guys been seeing in there?

It is a shame that there seems to be a lack of mentoring the next generation of hunters. I also have see it during youth seasons where there is not any crowds. Great for safety reasons but still doesnt seem right. ;)

Kevin, I havent been up in a while so I hope there there, been gone the last two weekends and been remodeling the house and trying to get that done before turkey season. theyll be there. Well just be up early tomorrow morning and lissten for gobbles and head that direction. So you guys saw alot of birds in goldendale huh, I need to get down there and talk to farmers to find some places to hunt. theres a pile of birds down there.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back