Washington Blacktail 2008

Leanne

Dad and I left the house at 3:15, We were walking in together, dad has his bow and I have my muzzleloader. We got to a point where the trail branches off into two, one goes to a open field and one keep going into the bottom of the timber. Dad and I decided that he would head toward the field and I would head into the heavy timber.

Dad headed south toward the field through a little patch of timber, and I headed west.

I was going VERY slow, we are talking like 12 feet in five minutes. I stopped to pull my glove up, and as I was I looked slightly to my left and right past a large fir tree about 17 feet away , I saw big dark horns. I knew he was going to walk past the fir tree, so I put my gun off and took it off safety. I took one small step forward, he kept coming, as soon as my bead was at his shoulder.....BOOM.

He took off at mach speed, and I last saw him at about 45 yards. I put my ram rod back in my gun, it had flown out with the shot. I shouted to dad "I NAILED him dad get over here!!!!!" it took dad about three minutes to get back to me. He asked me how it happened and I explained it, I shot him at no more than five yards and he took off and I pointed to where I saw him last.

We went to where he was standing, I was already there, bright red blood. We started trailing him, steady blood. I was too excited, I was shaking like a leaf. We got to where I last saw him, lots more blood. We started up the ravine, more blood everywhere, about 10 yards more there he was!!!

I was so excited, I picked up his head and I was surprised by what I saw, I told dad when we started tracking that I thought it was a decent three point.....he was a little more than that!

CopyofIMG_0459.jpg

CopyofIMG_0458.jpg

CopyofIMG_0456.jpg

Congratulations! You've had great luck with the blacktails the last few years.

WTG! congrats on a fine trophy.

Good job Leanne,you've got the stalk down pat.Not everyone has the patience.

Back