Caribou Gear Tarp

Was 2020 your best hunting year ever?

As mixed as 2020 was for me...I would still call it my worst year. I finally got a shot at an elk and couldnt find it. As thankful as I am for my first mule deer and turkey, losing that elk just really sucked. Didnt even see a bull during rifle. I'm ready for this year to be over and start scouting for better spots.
Good year for trail camera pictures though
View attachment 168346
Keep with it your determination will get you a bull! I'm betting 21 has one for ya

Didn't make it out hunting (technically legal here, but holy cow does Japan make it difficult) or fishing once. I did enjoy living vicariously through you guys and observing your successes.

2020 started off as my best year and quickly turned into a "meh" season.

I started with a true trophy colour phase 21-7/16th bear in the spring. Fall rolled in and it started pretty well too, came home empty handed from an archery and rifle OTC elk trip but learnt a ton of stuff and these hunts were definitely successes. Then, I started hunting my draw mule tag. It started REALLY well, I passed several 170+ deer early on and had great opportunities at very nice whitetails too.

Then crap went sideways, work took me away for 5 weeks during my favourite time of year (the last two of Oct and the last 3 of Nov). I went from two weeks off planned during the "optimum" time to cancelling my leave and working full time. On top of that, we got a massive snow dump the 2nd week of Nov. Massive snow drifts blocked access to 75% of the area I hunt and made walking around without snowshoes impossible. I quickly turned to a saying I say often to new hunters "don't pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last" and did just that, I told myself I would shoot the next mature mule deer I saw and the next 8 point whitetail. Well I did just that, with a handful of days available, I managed to fill my tags. Great season for opportunities, definitely don't regret the decisions I've made early in the season but things went sideways quick but it is what it is. Still an overall good season.

The good: Was able to do a pheasant hunt out of state with my dad and uncle and cousins. Was kind of a check off hunt.
Had more time off this year to hunt than ever before.
Killed my first (of about a dozen) doves. Got to introduce our black lab to retrieving game.
My daughter killed her first turkey, and I arrowed a turkey with my girlfriend watching.
Won second place in my division in 3D this year.

The OKish: first time hunting Mule deer in a new unit never saw a live buck during the season, makes me question my researching skills. Even my first out of state hunt in a second draw area I SAW a buck...

The bad: Localish OTC deer/bear area was closed from fires. First choice area out of state closed by a fire.

Last edited:
2020 was an interesting year, I spent more time scouting this summer than ever before and learned alot from that. Didn't even really hunt the area I scouted. Shot a bull with my bow 1.5 days into the season first archery elk in a very long time, turned out to be my biggest. In that stretch between archery elk harvests there were many close calls that I just didn't have things go my way. Made it out deer hunting fow 3 days, had a 160" mule deer at 153 yards for 45 minutes as I sat there an watched him; it was just neat to watch him not leave the hot doe he had. I took the round out of the chamber and went back to camp and called it a fall as the freezer was full from the elk. All in all I spent alot of time in the field, would have like to have hunted a bit more but plan on making that happen in the coming year.

Nope.
1st time in many years I used no tags.
Had to just watch the critters and help out with a dozen hunters,4 here at home.
Waahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! LOL

I would say flat out no but on the same side it was not the worst. From 2007-2016, I was out of commission as far as hunting starts. First my wife has to have emergency surgery related to sepsis related infections, then followed by gall bladder then several hernias. She has also had numerous kidney disfunction issues that required rather pricey treatment. In 2010 I had my first shoulder surgery. In 2012, I had a bad kidney stone and had lithotripsic surgery on it where they go up yer manhood and blast it. Then in 2014 I completely severed my right biceps main tendon and tore the other one. In 2016 I had an umbilical hernia surgery repair done. In all that, I was either laid up or forced to sell all my hunting gear to pay the bills. How we ever made it, I do not know. I just feel blessed we came out of it without losing the house and everything else.

Then during my elk hunt, my wife had to put our oldest dog down and as attached as we get that is very hard to do, especially alone. Then she was sent home after a positive COVID test and forced to self quarrantine. I cut my elk hunt way short to take care of her. Then that followed by two negative tests so we think she had one of those false positives.

As far as 2020, it was epic in the sense I got to experience going out for elk and deer again with some of the greatest guys in the world. And people like @Wildabeast allowing me to use his cabin to celebrate my retirement in 2020. I would say that 2020 is the start of many better things to come. 2021 will be the ramp I jump off of.

Last edited:
As far as hunting it was meh compared to my previous three years. Only wound up with my in state tags.

Nearly killed my first turkey, then my turkey spot burned to hell in the fall.

Didn’t manage to go bear hunting which was a big priority for this fall, that bummed me out. At least turned up a mule deer thoughlove mule deer more than anything so far when it comes to species to hunt think.

elk hunting sucked, I bailed early on that hunt

that said, I’m not upset at all about this years hunting. Sure, coulda been better. But I’m young, healthy, happy, and to think I still have hopefully 40+ more years of chasing critters makes it hard to find anything to be upset about

Actually, it was a relatively poor year as far as harvesting. My second trip to hunt Africa went in the toilet due to pandemic. Never saw an elk; I killed a deer ... but with my Jimmy (only able to hunt them with a rifle one day); and shot just ten honkers for two days hunting (almost none came through this year ... usually shoot forty or more per season). Weather and snow conditions made pheasant hunting downright miserable for most of six weeks but the dogs and I still managed to bag an average quantity. It was not easy. I have been nursing a hernia since last February when my appendix was removed. COVID killed all "elective" surgery so I have been stuck with it. Then after arriving in Montana I developed gallstones. Ugh! Definitely not fun! Some days pheasant hunting I was worried I wouldn't get back to the vehicle. But persevered. Finished up my obligatory two week quarantine on return to Ontario just in time for another blizzard to wipe out Christmas shopping. Yeah, it wasn't a great year. Nevertheless, it yielded some great memories camping and hunting with the two dogs and my brother. And best of all ... I found this forum.

Best ever no, but a great one for sure. Awesome AZ javelina trip last January, picked up some great sheds this spring, killed a couple big turkeys, caught a pile of saltwater fish in Oregon and Alaska, shot a raghorn bull at super close range with my bow, passed on a big muley I shouldn’t have, shot some birds with my young lab and finished it with a whitetail doe out of a treestand with one of my best friends sitting next to me filming. Outdoor wise I’ll take years like this one every year and be super happy

Been a decent year with some good hunts. Called in and killed several turkeys for my friends and kids. Killed a couple elk and an antelope. Icing on the year was braving the elements this morning with my brother and shooting a double limit of roosters. Happy new years and looking forward to what 2021 has to bring!View attachment 168344View attachment 168345
Go Griz!

The second half of September was certainly the most dynamic elk rut I’ve ever been in. I just hope it wasn’t a fluke and 2021 is more of the same!

Thankful to have spent another year in God's great outdoors. Pandemic didn't stop me from my local shed hunts in MN after the snow melted. Had a nice solo antelope hunt south of Casper, WY in Sept and put a buck lope in the freezer. Met two of my sons and two grandsons in Ten Sleep in Oct for a one more buck in the cooler muley hunt. Did a second solo hunt near home in northern MN and put a whitetail buck in the freezer. Topped it off with a third solo hunt (socially distanced from family) in Wisconsin. Got lucky for the 4rth time but that buck was given to a legally blind friend that lives near there.

My season was sucessful before i loaded my rifle in every hunt. At 69 years it is never taken for granted. Any time you return from the field with all your bones intact and a smile on your face it was a good day.

Happy New Year to all and may God bless.

I've been very fortunate to have many great years of hunting. 2020 was pretty good : two spring turkeys, a few limits of yellow perch, a 7 point buck in NY with a ML, 8 point NY buck with rifle, 2 Vt. does with crossbow, 8 point Vt. buck with rifle. A very nice 8 point buck in Kansas on a hunt with two good friends. A few limits of Canada's and mallards. The very best day of 2020 was opening day of the Vt. rifle season when both my wife (huge 6 point) and I tagged out within an hour of each other. The border closures cost me a long planned Quebec walleye trip with high school teammates, a DIY annual Saskatchewan waterfowl trip, and another Quebec walleye trip with old friends.

However, with family and friends still healthy, we look forward to getting after it in 2021 !!!

Awesome year for us..
Wife got Idaho Wolf with rifle, big whitetail back home with her bow.
Bro in law got 5x5 bull, and mule deer doe with bow in Colorado.
Same trip I got Cow elk, mule deer doe, and cinnamon colored black bear with bow.
I took big gobbler in Spring on film my wife filmed.

Pretty decent

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back