Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Was 2020 your best hunting year ever?

Worst for me by harvest standards and luck I would say. Great opportunities in the turkey woods but never could seal the deal. Largest fire in Colorado history cancelled my western adventure. And out of a dozen or so whitetail sets, I only managed to harvest one about the size of a small goat. Still feel incredibly blessed with overall health and quality time afield, cmon 2021!

Not really, my best hound Henry got ran over in mid February and was never the same, he ended up dying on July 6th. His last cougar treed was in mid January. Big game season was fun but not very productive. I did manage to see some elk, got a shot at a cow, and shot a whitetail buck at my house. Hunting pressure was nuts. Hopefully this year will be better and I can find me another Leopard Hound pup this summer to train and hunt again. I’m always thankful to be healthy enough and live in a place where I enjoy Gods Country. Congratulations to those that got good ones this year.

Attachments

• 4D2F3C8B-1A39-43AF-9FA8-7DCF1FEC3FD7.jpeg
    4D2F3C8B-1A39-43AF-9FA8-7DCF1FEC3FD7.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
She's 13, we're just letting her get by with what she has. Over the last couple of months she's gained quite a bit of mobility back.
Sorry to hear that! It’s tough to see dogs suffer. I’m glad she has some mobility and fight left!

Every year is a good year and a blessing, sometimes things go sideways or things get way outta whack. It all adds to the adventure good or bad I still keep coming back for more.

There's things that absolutely suck and are unfathomable in the moment but a person can grow from them as well. It's called life.

Hunting wise I hunted elk hard this year and it payed ìn the end, the greatest part is my dad was there when it all came to fruition. Looking forward to hopefully many more adventures.

I had one of the best hunting seasons I've had in 2020. I got to hunt a few states and managed to kill a lot of firsts. I got to spend time in camps with old friends while hunting and fishing. The only reason I got so much time is because I had to cancel a 3 week trip we had planned to take my wife and kids out west. I'd have rather had the time with family but yes it was a great year.

Every year is a good year and a blessing, sometimes things go sideways or things get way outta whack. It all adds to the adventure good or bad I still keep coming back for more.

There's things that absolutely suck and are unfathomable in the moment but a person can grow from them as well. It's called life.

Hunting wise I hunted elk hard this year and it payed ìn the end, the greatest part is my dad was there when it all came to fruition. Looking forward to hopefully many more adventures.
Did I miss that write up?

Hard to say if it was the best ever. I've hunted. A lot. One of my best friends had to cancel two trips this year because of work scheduling issues related to COVID, directly or indirectly. I met new friends and hunted with them. I hunted with an old friend. I explored new country I'd never been in. I've watched my dog become exceptional at his craft. I've made a lot of empty shotgun hulls. The freezer is full and I need to grind burger this month.

Honestly, I don't compare each season to the next. It's kind of like comparing your kids, hard to do and not necessarily productive. Enjoy each one for what it is.
JLS has a way of making a point. That said, this year one kid was a little cuter than the others :)

Pretty good year- definitely was able to get out more and hunt during the week more. Shot my first turkey in the spring. Had my best duck season since moving from Montana. Great pheasant season (still going). Only big con was not making it out west this year, but I did get an Idaho general elk tag for Salmon Zone (don't worry, I WILL be asking for advice) for 2021 and will be hunting with my best friend for the first time.

2020 was a great year for us! I finally got to hunt for the first time, and my husband got a really nice antelope as well as his deer. We set a family goal last New Year's to spend at least 20 days as a family in the outdoors and we achieved 25 days. (I think this was an idea from an older Hunt Talk podcast and we enjoyed it so much we are going to do it again this year with a higher goal number.) Our kids learned to fish and the five year old was baiting his own hook, casting, catching fish, and releasing the little ones by himself by the end of the year. We made some amazing memories as a family and our kids got to learn things that I hope they take with them for the rest of their lives. Whatever else happened, and there was plenty of crazy, I will always remember 2020 fondly for those reasons.

2020 was neither the best or worst year I've had hunting overall. I did have the best spring turkey season of my life despite covid cancelling my Nebraska trip - taking three nice toms in Wyoming and having many awesome encounters.

The fall season was fun, but overall unremarkable. My shooting was as dialed as I could ask to be. Took 3 antelope and an elk with one shot each (two different rifles and my bow). Lots of meat, but no taxidermy projects besides an average antelope skull. Got to spend some chilly fall nights in my tents and truck topper and watch/help my buddy hunt a primo antelope tag.

All in all, lots of good stuff. Looking forward to 2021.

Yes, despite all the challenges this was an outstanding year for me from just about any measure. My best bull (350), best mule deer (163), and helped 3 good friends kill nice bucks including one muley over 180. Took my 2 yo son on a idaho wt deer hunt with his 2 grandpas and they each got a roughly 130" buck. What was most treasured, given the social disruption/distancing, was the sheer amount of quality time and camaraderie with good friends and family.

Hopefully 30 years from now a future grandkid will ask me about 2020 and the pandemic...I will take a long, slow swig of my drink as I start a thousand yard gaze...and with a twinkle in my eye will launch into a 'back in the good ol days' story...

Been a decent year with some good hunts. Called in and killed several turkeys for my friends and kids. Killed a couple elk and an antelope. Icing on the year was braving the elements this morning with my brother and shooting a double limit of roosters. Happy new years and looking forward to what 2021 has to bring!20201231_114245.jpg20201231_114142.jpg

As mixed as 2020 was for me...I would still call it my worst year. I finally got a shot at an elk and couldnt find it. As thankful as I am for my first mule deer and turkey, losing that elk just really sucked. Didnt even see a bull during rifle. I'm ready for this year to be over and start scouting for better spots.
Good year for trail camera pictures though
IMG_20201125_095726_526.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back