Walleye on ice...

BuzzH

Been out a half dozen times ice fishing this year. Caught fish everytime but decided to snap a few pictures of some yesterday.

Walleye were caught in 32-35 feet of water...turned a bunch more loose after the five here. Always save one on the limit for a bigger fish. My fishing partner also caught 5 walleye about the same as these.

IMG_2869.JPG

After the morning walleye bite slowed, we moved into 40-48 feet of water and found a nice bunch of perch. We had to move around a bit to stay on them. Didnt beat them up too bad, but I caught 10 and my buddy Pete caught 14. The good thing is they're all nice sized and healthy. Nice filets off all of these fish.

IMG_2871.JPG

A close up of the biggest perch...according to a perch chart I have, a 13 incher should weigh 1.29 pounds, but I think with the shape and the girth, it was closer to 1.5...either way a jumbo perch for sure.

IMG_2876.JPG

Anyway, we had a great time yesterday on the lake, weather was pretty good overall and the bite pretty steady, but not fast.

Damn Buzz, that is some good grub right there. Think I might have to go thaw the last pack of walleyes I have in the freezer, which ain't nothing compared to when you have 'em fresh like that.

That is one huge perch. Hell, they are all nice perch. Wallyes are the perfect size for eating.

Does WY allow you to use live minnows for ice fishing?

Big Fin,

Yes, you can use live minnows and up to 6 poles on lakes where the special ice fishing rules apply.

We rarely use live minnows, in fact, I've never used live ones. Many times I dont use any bait at all, but if I do its usually a dead minnow (a head or a tail).

We use jigging rapalas, nils masters, and various jigging spoons.

I had days last year where I know I caught 70-100 eater sized walleyes (14-19 inchers) on jigging rapalas without bait.

Looks like a fun day. With good returns on a later day, also!!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back