Wall Tents

I wouldn't worry about the floor. Plus I second what Buzz said about the room, you can never have enough it seems. I have a 10 X 12 that i inherited from my grandpa (they will last forever!) but the one that we use all the time is a 14 X 16 with 5 foot walls. The extra headspace is a must. Even if you pack it somewhere with horses it works fine, and if you're at the truck the size isn't an issue. Here's a couple of pictures of ours at work on a weeklong elk hunt about 8 miles from the truck. My dad's sitting in front of it. Also you can see how it got there on the horse! Get a wood stove and you can weather about anything.

Attachments

• 1GIG CARD 146.jpg
    1GIG CARD 146.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,863
  • 1GIG CARD 153.jpg
    1GIG CARD 153.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,480
For the floor:
I use a regular "joe" tarp or a painters canvas drop cloth..
Either are around $10... Think the drop cloth may have been a few $'s more...
I have seen a friends camp that had the floor attached... I did not see any advantage... in fact more con's than pro's for such.

Doug, that looks pretty darn relaxing! :) Need the season to get here to excuse myself back to the woods!

Last edited:
BD,

I weld for fun / hobby. Welded some 10 camp stoves, 3 of my most recent have been really nice, easy to use - collapsible camp stoves (all one piece too.), using 16g steel w/5" hole. Material for such, $60.

Sytes,

You should put some pictures of your stoves on here. Plans would be nice too. I need a camp stove and would like to save money if I can make it myself. I have a welder, but it is a pipeline special, too big for this. I may have to find a smaller one to borrow.

One word of advise that we learned ther stupid way: When you build your own barrel stove make sure you lite a hot fire in it before you stick it in your tent. Last spring we smoked ourselves out of our tent for hours because of the paint fumes;)
DSC02623.jpg

Wall tents & mule packing

Those of you who pack in with horses,,do you packin internal frames, or just use the downed lodge poles. I've been using the Springbar tents for all my packing but I'm going to purchase a wall tent now that the family of hunters is growing.

ore06055.jpg

Please forgive the low lite photo but I really liked this set up that my buddy in Oregon has. Internal frame, 5 ft walls and a 10x12 Kitchen, with a 12x16 sleeping area that has the woodstove. No point heating the whole thing all night. 3 of us were in it for a long week and had plenty of room The 3 burner campchef stove heats up the kitchen area plenty fast and you have covered firewood storage.

Sorry I don't know the tent brand...

For a 2 man camp it is hard to beat the Alaknak II 12x12

13432_1492154512516_1493630849_31275741_3281329_n.jpg

with a Kni-Co Packer Stove

13432_1492133952002_1493630849_31275583_4675878_n.jpg

Great... now I am really droolin for the seasons to turn! Great pics 2Rocky!
Looking forward to camp time!
Truck Camping - Base camp... As stated - the more the merry in space. A buddy has a 14x28 desert military type wall tent... He has a divider canvas cloth that attaches to the internal frame... We have the r&r kitchen area and our sleep area... Open the "mock" canvas wall (just like a door entry), stoke up the stove - and presto... a comfy stay... At night, close the doors to the mock wall and a warmth confined sleep area is available.

Dig the pics guys! Man - I am doing a fishing trip as soon as I get back home! Or as soon as the snow reduces enough...

Not wanting to spend a grand on a tent and needing a shelter that I can set-up alone, I chose to make my own wall tent out of a 12X12 straight wall canvas family tent. I've used it for about 12 seasons and it works fine. Total it's set me back about $300. It has windows on the sides and back and plenty of room to sleep and cook for 2 people with the stove or 4 without.

023crop.jpg

GB- I've thought long and hard about doing that with a Springbar or Kodiak tent. Any pics from the inside so I can see what you did to the floor and ceiling?

GB- I've thought long and hard about doing that with a Springbar or Kodiak tent. Any pics from the inside so I can see what you did to the floor and ceiling?

Sorry, I don't have any photos handy. Heres everything I've done over the years;
  • Added a stove jack
  • Painted the inside with Canvak paint to hold in the heat and keep out wind.
  • Replaced plastic floor with heavy coated floor, made from the tarps long haul truck drivers use to cover loads. comes in many colorsand I choose white to match the inside walls and it really brightens the interior The floor is heavy and helps anchor the tent some what.
  • Replaced blown front door zipper with a larger gauge

I use a poly tarp as a rain fly as needed. I rarely get any water inside and it has not yet collapsed under a snow load.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back