Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wall Tents

bdidaho

Just wanted to know from you guys that use wall tents what features you like or wish you had and which ones are not worth the money. I'm looking to buy one, but would like some input from the voices of experience. Things like 5' vs 6' walls, windows, etc. How big of a tent for 3-4 guys? I have a Cabellas Big Horn III now that is ok for 2, but want something a bit heavier and warmer when it gets colder.

I absolutely love my range tent from David Ellis Canvas, www.cowboycamp.com . The tent is extremely easy to setup, literally less than 5 minutes by myself. It also does not require poles if you hang it from a tree. The most unique feature of the tent is the awning on the front that keeps rain from coming in the door and gives you a covered to store items. Simple design that holds up well in any weather.

I have a 10 x12 and a 14 x 16 from Davis Tents and they have been awsome. I have had them for 6 or 7 years and they are very durable and are definatly water proof. They usually have big sales around March or April I believe. As for 5 or 6 foot walls mine both have 5 foot walls and they work fine for the way I use my tents. A couple of the features I like on my tents are the Colorado doors, which are buckles that are used to help close off the doors and makes it eaiser to zip them up. I also like either a back door or a window on the back wall to help air out the tent.

As for size of tent it depends on weather you plan on cooking in the same tent.With the Davis tents you can Buy a 14 x 16 and add a cook shack which will attach to your sleep tent, and that way you can help keep the smell down in the sleep tent and it also will give you more room.I hope this helps.

CABugle

I am a rookie at this - just got a 10x12' reliable tent with 5' walls. It is fine for 2 without cooking inside. It was warm enuf at 18F that the stove was hardly used. Things I like best are the ground cloth, rear window, buckle door with heavy duty zipper and the fact that at 65 years old I can put it up by myself with an interior frame.

Check Yakima tent company. I got a 12x14 with poles and free shipping for a really good deal, they usually have online specials. You will definately want 5 foot walls, I had one that had shorter walls and it is amazing how much more comfortable it is w/more headroom.

I have a 10 X 12 with an internal frame. If I had it to do over I would have added a zippered fly to store all of unneeded stuff outside of the tent. Pretty roomy for 3 people. Bunk bed cots make a big difference for the amount of space taken up.

Hunted with a 14x16, 5' walls for many years.

I now prefer a 19' tandem axel model. Too many deep snow storms setting up and breaking down camp in a foot of snow. Constantly stoking the fire, finding a spot to cook...liked the atmosphere for awhile but I prefer the trailer method now.

I've got a 12 x 14 with 5' walls and find that it sleeps 4 guys with all their junk pretty comfortably. The feature that I like the most is having a door on each end. It makes getting in and out a lot easier when you do have 4 guys and all their junk inside.

bdidaho,

Go big...14x16 isnt too much tent for extended hunts with 3-4 guys. Make sure to have a window in the back of the tent, its great to have when the weather is hot. I'd not have a wall tent with less than 5 foot walls.

I'd also go internal frame, angle kit and 1'" EMT are gold...I can set my tent up alone in 20 minutes.

Sun Forger brand mildew and water treated 10 OZ canvas is the only way to fly.

Add a good wood stove, a good cot, and a 2 burner camp chef...you cant slum much better.

DSCN2928.JPG

Last edited:
Buzz- Would you be okay with a smaller size for 2-3max? What about for a family of 4 and 2 dogs? 14X16 seems palatial compared to the pup-tents I'm used to.

Good point- I'm always saying I wish I had more room. Kind of like money, I could always use a little more.

My 12x14 sleeps 2 with cots, wood stove, table for cooking and a weeks worth of clothes very comfy, 3 in a pinch. For more people i would go to a 14x16, you will appreciate the extra room!

BD,

I had to purchase another wall tent as my last one I destroyed by mildew... Had her many years though simply forgot to air / dry her out on my last trip...

I stayed with the same size:
12x14 - 5' walls, 9' ceiling. I had a door added on the rear wall also whereas my last tent had a window. The door has been a great addition. It is "doable" with 3 people and comfy for 2.

Internal frame... they cost a TON for something pethetic as provided... though if you have some welding ability or a friend - you can make an internal frame for $30. It is simple as all heck!

I weld for fun / hobby. Welded some 10 camp stoves, 3 of my most recent have been really nice, easy to use - collapsible camp stoves (all one piece too.), using 16g steel w/5" hole. Material for such, $60.

In this pic, you can see the difference between my friends 4' walls and my 5' walls. IMO, it makes a world of a difference when a seat, table or cot is along the wall...
picture.php

Last edited:
BD,

I weld for fun / hobby. Welded some 10 camp stoves, 3 of my most recent have been really nice, easy to use - collapsible camp stoves (all one piece too.), using 16g steel w/5" hole. Material for such, $60.

Sytes,

You should put some pictures of your stoves on here. Plans would be nice too. I need a camp stove and would like to save money if I can make it myself. I have a welder, but it is a pipeline special, too big for this. I may have to find a smaller one to borrow.

I went with that fake green astro-turn looking stuff from Lowes/Home depot for a floor. You want a floor, but I wouldnt have one sewn in. My floor covers all but the front 4 feet, leaving room for the wood stove and cooking stove.

Sod cloth...Yes.

Pointer,

I wouldnt worry about the tent taking up much room, they fold up pretty small.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred Powell Sr
Back