Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wall Tenting in WY Unit 26

VikingsGuy

Pulled Unit 26 buck tags third choice after missing on 42 second choice. Kinda bummed about missing on 42, but happy to hunt whenever the chance comes. I am going with my 16 yr old son (his first western hunt as varsity football used to be in the way, but he has decided to focus on lacrosse freeing up his fall), my 30 year-old son in law, 30 year old daughter (just hanging around, not shooting), and life long buddy. We pulled 4 buck tags as a party.

This is the first year we are trying DIY canvas wall tent camping (went hotels last year to keep first pronghorn hunt simple). Super excited to put new Davis Wall tent to use.

And that gets us to the reason for this post - anybody have any recommendations on good places in (or very near) 26 to set up a wall tent campsite that would be willing to PM me your recommendations? And while of course not seeking any secret trophy sites, any general advice hunting this unit is also appreciated as it will be our first time in the unit (we did 9 last year) and work will prevent pre-season scouting. We will be there mid-day Sunday the 29th (5 days after opening) for the week, hopefully some of the guys who hunted opener and the weekend will be hitting the road by then. We are hoping to avoid the sea of orange at opener, even though we know a lot of animals will be pushed to private at this point — but we are meat hunters not trophy seekers, so we assume we will still fill tags with average animals.

We are also happy to pay trespass fees, but had zero luck getting any landowners to bite in 9 last year. Anybody willing to PM me some contact info for owners in 26 open to trespass fees would also be very helpful. We are a low key and respectful bunch, so wouldn’t cause any problems for the land owners.

Thanks in advance.

You must have applied in the special draw I take it? Most of the landowners are probably full up or leased to outfitters but it never hurts to ask.

Anywhere there is a creek bottom is a good place to set up. Dry washes with cottonwood trees usually have a flat spot one the benches where you can get some shelter and firewood

You must have applied in the special draw I take it? Most of the landowners are probably full up or leased to outfitters but it never hurts to ask.

Yes we did, in the hopes of hitting 42 second chance, wouldn’t have if 26 was original goal.

Anywhere there is a creek bottom is a good place to set up. Dry washes with cottonwood trees usually have a flat spot one the benches where you can get some shelter and firewood
Most creek bottoms are private, make sure you set up on BLM, camping is not allowed on state land.

When will you be there? I will be there a day or two before season opens but don't have a buck tag this year and might be able to point you in the direction of a nice buck.

When will you be there? I will be there a day or two before season opens but don't have a buck tag this year and might be able to point you in the direction of a nice buck.

We start hunting Monday Sept 30th. Thanks.

Pulled Unit 26 buck tags third choice after missing on 42 second choice. Kinda bummed about missing on 42, but happy to hunt whenever the chance comes. I am going with my 16 yr old son (his first western hunt as varsity football used to be in the way, but he has decided to focus on lacrosse freeing up his fall), my 30 year-old son in law, 30 year old daughter (just hanging around, not shooting), and life long buddy. We pulled 4 buck tags as a party.

This is the first year we are trying DIY canvas wall tent camping (went hotels last year to keep first pronghorn hunt simple). Super excited to put new Davis Wall tent to use.

And that gets us to the reason for this post - anybody have any recommendations on good places in (or very near) 26 to set up a wall tent campsite that would be willing to PM me your recommendations? And while of course not seeking any secret trophy sites, any general advice hunting this unit is also appreciated as it will be our first time in the unit (we did 9 last year) and work will prevent pre-season scouting. We will be there mid-day Sunday the 29th (5 days after opening) for the week, hopefully some of the guys who hunted opener and the weekend will be hitting the road by then. We are hoping to avoid the sea of orange at opener, even though we know a lot of animals will be pushed to private at this point — but we are meat hunters not trophy seekers, so we assume we will still fill tags with average animals.

We are also happy to pay trespass fees, but had zero luck getting any landowners to bite in 9 last year. Anybody willing to PM me some contact info for owners in 26 open to trespass fees would also be very helpful. We are a low key and respectful bunch, so wouldn’t cause any problems for the land owners.

Thanks in advance.
Heading to Unit 26 from MN this year, would love to chat with you about your experience a little more. I've never hunted there.

Heading to Unit 26 from MN this year, would love to chat with you about your experience a little more. I've never hunted there.
PM me and I can give you an overview and a bunch of ONX data if you are on that platform. You can even try on some corner crossing for size in light of newest WY law news ;)

PM me and I can give you an overview and a bunch of ONX data if you are on that platform. You can even try on some corner crossing for size in light of newest WY law news ;)
Will do! I am on that platform, really appreciate it. Will be in touch as soon as I figure out how to PM you. HA!

It is not WY law news. It was one case of a civil suit that did zero to establish law.

Thanks in advance.
So essentially what your saying is that all of you travel from across the U.S. to another state in order to shoot all of the yearling bucks so that the citizens of that state have no future in targeting quality animals?
Got it.

Back