MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wall Tent Rookies - When is too cold?`

teej89

As the title speaks, the three of us share a 3 man wall tent, 12'x14' davis tent and we also have a wood stove and a generator and electric heaters. This would be our first time using this tent and we'll be in MT the first week of November for the general season. We're looking at staying at a campground with it and because we've never used it or stayed in it are the temps/snow going to make it miserable? I've heard great things about wall tents but I guess I just have my sense of doubt, because, well it's a tent and the fact my old man is a chronic overthinker/pessimist and I really need to sell him on this in lieu of driving over an hour from a motel room. I've heard people talk about using these in single digit temps and never having an issue/discomfort.

Just looking for the experienced users thoughts and tid bits and the "just make sure you" or "just don't" comments.

Thanks guys!
T.J.

You'll be just fine. Give him the cot closest to the stove and the warmest sleeping bag if he's worried. I've spent many of nights in tents with no heat with temperatures down to -10 and survived just fine. You guys should be snug as a bug in that thing.

To me the notion of a generator running all night to power an electric heater contradicts the experience of camping in a wall tent. If the campground has electric power, run the heater from that if necessary (it won't be). Have insulating sleeping pads on cots, sleeping bags rated to 20, maybe 0 for Dad, and someone gets to stoke the fire every 4 hours. Wood stove can keep that tent T-shirt warm.

Your cot, pad, sleeping bag and PJ's will have the largest effect on your sleeping comfort. I like LP as an alternate heat source vs. a generator and electric heaters. Quieter and more efficient. Also, self contained in tent and easier to manage.

Make sure you have a good pile of dried and clean burning wood for the fire. Stoke it up and damper it down before bed. Should at a minimum be some good coals left in the morning for a quick stoke. I've used a Davis 14x16 for over 10 years. Temps have gotten to -30. As long as you stay on top of the fire, you can run around in a T-shirt inside the tent. Agree, put your "coldest" member closest to the stove. IF you have the coal grate, you can also buy lump coal for the overnight fire. It works, but I prefer to skip the mess and just use wood.

We have used our 12X14 Davis the last two seasons. I haven't had the need for the wood stove yet. We use a LP buddy heater with 20# cylinders. A cylinder will last at least 2-3 nights on high. We haven't needed much past medium yet and it keeps it fairly warm. The lowest temps we have saw though are probably 20 or so. Love the wall tent!

In my experience the coldest part is getting out of the sack in the morning to take a leak, start the fire or turn on the heater. But that's temporary. I know plenty of folks who have overwintered in Alaska and Montana in canvas tents and tipis. And none of them had electric blankets. Have plenty of dry would or ready propane and you're good. And if it gets really cold you have a good story to tell when you get home.

We use a canvas Army surplus tent with a GI pot belly stove in our camp. In second season we have had temps down to the -10 to -15 range and the stove (not the most efficient of wood stoves) will keep it shorts and t-shirt weather in there with no problem. As said above, make sure you have an ample supply of wood. We are on the edge of the wilderness and supply ourselves with downed and standing dead wood from the area (suits me as well because I LOVE running my saw). We do bring some lump coal as a back up/overnight and that stuff is no joke :) If wood is readily available I don't think you can beat it as a heat source. A big plus is that there is something special about sitting around a fire shootin the bull :)

During the Yukon gold rush most of the prospectors wintered over in canvas tents with wood stoves. The area around the stove would thaw out to the soil. The rest of the floor packed down to ice so hard that the sour doughs could sweep the floor with brooms. Temps there were well below zero (-40). I've stayed in my "Canvas Cabin" tent down to -10 and if the stove was stoked, we often had to open the front flaps to cool the place out. Be sure to have some kind of heat during the day. Snow will accumulate on the canvas and if deep enough (5+) inches can cause the roof to collapse all the way or partially. Its kind of a bitch to come back after hunting all day and have to knock the snow off and re-tighten the guys. You will be amazed at how well these tents work. GJ

I haven't personally sleep in one at -25 at night and 0 in the day, but we only had about 5-6" of snow also, but 4 years ago we stayed at a campground in Montana south of Broadus, no electricity at the camp ground. Our neighbors stayed in a wall tent and they we fine, Probably better than we were in our insulated enclosed trailer. It was this week of hunting and staying in that enclosed trailer that made me go buy a wall tent. Best investment that I've made for our trips to Montana. Mine is a Davis 15x18

I would also suggest putting a plastic tarp over the roof and staking it down, this really works well for keeping the snow from accumulating on the roof

Last edited:
awesome thanks guys for your input! I think I feel confident that we'll be okay, we have the cots and the 20 and 0 degree sleeping bags. Now I just gotta muster up my best salesman pitch and see it to the old man.

I appreciate the input and positive feedback!

During the Yukon gold rush most of the prospectors wintered over in canvas tents with wood stoves. The area around the stove would thaw out to the soil. The rest of the floor packed down to ice so hard that the sour doughs could sweep the floor with brooms. Temps there were well below zero (-40). I've stayed in my "Canvas Cabin" tent down to -10 and if the stove was stoked, we often had to open the front flaps to cool the place out. Be sure to have some kind of heat during the day. Snow will accumulate on the canvas and if deep enough (5+) inches can cause the roof to collapse all the way or partially. Its kind of a bitch to come back after hunting all day and have to knock the snow off and re-tighten the guys. You will be amazed at how well these tents work. GJ

What exactly would you use for heat during the day tho when we're not there? A propane heater on low? Or just smoldering coals in the stove?

We also have a 12x14 wall tent, and you will be plenty warm with the wood stove. We have had it so warm we had to open the door when it was about 5 degrees out. As others have said, stoke the stove before bed, resupply it every 3-4 hours when you get up to go to the bathroom, use cot pads and you will be surprised how comfortable it is.

We use a Montana Canvas 12'x17' with a sealed cylinder stove, a couple years ago it was -30 with 6-8" of new snow.
It was so cold during the day our sandwiches would freeze solid in our packs.
As long as the fire was going it was warm and cozy inside, as soon as the fire went out it got cold fast.
Whatever heat you decide to use make sure it stays stoked, its easy to maintain heat but it takes longer to build it up.
There is nothing better than a wall tent with a wood stove.

Wall tent.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture, it was so cold my camera fogged up.

Last edited:
What exactly would you use for heat during the day tho when we're not there? A propane heater on low? Or just smoldering coals in the stove?

Make sure it's completely out before you leave the tent. It will heat up very fast once you get a fire going and you don't want the tent (at best) or the forest (worst) burning down in your absence if something goes awry.

It's usually a fun game @ 01:00/02:00 to see who can hold out the longest (especially as we've entered our 40's). But make the rule that if you get up at night, stoke the fire.

I have a catalytic heater that runs on propane. We run it if it looks like snow during the day. Its just enough heat so the tent roof is warm enough to cause any snow to melt and evaporate. Coals are enough if you come back for lunch. We've also used firelogs from Costco. They can be banked way down and burn for 5-6 hours. GJ

When the top of your stovepipe looks like an F16 afterburner, it will warm your tent up in no time.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back