MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wall Tent Rookies - When is too cold?`

For a well set camp site, the only time a canvas tent with stove gets too cold should be if it is out of fuel, or you are too far from the stove (the back corner).

Weather proofing includes getting out of direct wind, sealing the wall to the ground to reduce drafts getting underneath, properly taut roof to reduce sagging/snow buildup, and making sure the stove draws well and doesn't throw sparks. I have heard stories gleefuly told of a tent on fire, with narrow escapes by the occupants (neighboring ranch hands who got themselves too tipsy, and decided to load the stove over capacity)

I have a Davis 14X16' wall tent. I use their rain fly over the roof and one of their Peak (large) stoves. Had 5 inches of snow on the ground a couple of weeks ago and nearly zero snow on the roof. One early morning it was near white out so I stayed at camp. 20 degrees outside and 80 degrees inside, I had to open a couple of windows. Been way colder than that in a wall tent and as long as you keep the fire going dad should be happy. I run a clothesline through the gussets along the ridge of the internal frame and tie it to the eve so I can raise and lower it. I hang a smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm up there just because...and hangers to dry clothes. If you have a coal grate buy some Anthracite stove coal and toss a couple baseball size onto a good bed of coals before sleeping. You probably already know this but a trigger operated propane torch is a great way to renew your fire. I leave my generator at home (Listened to someones in a TT about 1/4 mile down from me for 3 nights straight). I keep a stove thermometer on the stove pipe above the fire box for safety and indoor and outdoor ones just for fun...You are going to love your tent.

I'll echo some of the things others have said. I had a chance to leave a wall tent up all winter, and spent nights in it that were below 0˚F with no trouble. The only source of heat was a wood stove. Several times when it was below freezing - maybe 20˚ or so I had to open the door for a while to get it cooled down.

IMG_2247.jpg

A long time ago one of my friends brought a thermometer to elk camp. We were hunting in November in freezing conditions. When the thermometer was hung near the ridge pole, it read over 100˚. We were heating that wall tent with just a wood stove too.

Been tenting it for hunting for 35 years. Now we have a sleeping tent, cook tent and outhouse/shower tent. Put a plastic tarp over the tent, not touching suspended a few inches over. Keeps the snow and rain off, no leaks. We use kerosene heaters, works fine.

I have a 12 x 15 Denver with frame 3 dog stove and have never been cold. Now if you want to be really hot get a Arctic Oven 12x12 with vestibule all you will need is a SMALL wood stove.

I have two wall tents that we set up end to end. Here are a few tips to increase your ability to stay warm.

1) We will put a plastic tarp on the ground (after set up) and then you can put a rug or two down atop the plastic tarp. Nothing that can burn under the stove;
2) You can pull a large plastic tarp over the entire tent to help keep heat in and the sun shine off the canvas; and
3) You can hang smaller tarps along the wall(s) (like hanging a towel or just one longer/larger one hanging from the horizontal "side" poles.

If you do all three, you be just fine. We often hang out in the tent in T-shirts and shorts/sweats. If you pull a larger tarp over the entire tent .... you will want to throw a rope over the tarp (like your lacing your shoes/boots pattern), so it does not flap in the wind. If you don't and the wind picks up, your tent setup will look like a loaf of bread with the wind blowing between the tarp and the tent.

I had a welder build me a wood pellet burner and use a wood pellet feeder. I load up the hopper right before bed, turn down the damper (burn rate) and sometimes have pellets left in the morning. Just make a "rule" whoever gets up and goes to the bathroom in the middle of night needs to check the stove.

Back