MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wall tent on trailer?

IdahoRoger

I'm thinking about getting a wall tent to fit my flatbed utility trailer, 6x10 with 2 foot side rails. Has anyone tried this?

Have you considered building panels that you can assemble/disassemble into a shelter? You could have bolt down points on the trailer and you could insulate etc. I have seen quite a few "camps" in the UP that have built hooches this way.
I have been dreaming up something like this for a 18ft utility trailer I have. Do you have any pictures of setups like that?

I considered that, but I thought a wall tent would be lighter and faster to set up. I would secure the base of the tent into the wood flooring before I left home, and then raise the sides and peak once I got to the campsite. I would have some carpet for flooring. I would hopefully stay at one central place while I went coyote hunting. I hate to stay in a motel 30-50 miles from where I would be hunting.

I already have the trailer, so the cost of putting a wall tent on it would be much cheaper and user friendly than a camper. I would raise the wall tent once I got to the campsite.

8x10 is a standard wall tent size, could you add a foot of floor on either side of the trailer? Seems like side rails would be an obstacle. You could put an 8x10 platform on top of the rails, and have storage underneath.

I think this idea is what you get when someone has to much time on their hands to think about this stuff. It is going to me very unstable and much more difficult to put the tent up on a trailer than it is to just put the tent up on the ground like it was designed. Wall tents are simple. IMO you are making this to complicated.

8x10 is a standard wall tent size, could you add a foot of floor on either side of the trailer? Seems like side rails would be an obstacle. You could put an 8x10 platform on top of the rails, and have storage underneath.
That's a good idea, but I wanted to keep things small and simple. The side rails would actually help with making the walls of the tent stable. There is a custom canvas manufacturing place in Boise that will make the tent for me.

Good plan:)
I used to own a wall tent, and lived in it for a month while trapping back in Kansas. It's amazing how much you learn about the ins and outs of a wall tent while doing that. I have put a tremendous amount of thought into this project and really appreciate all of the input, it makes me think---and that is a good thing!

I used to own a wall tent, and lived in it for a month while trapping back in Kansas. It's amazing how much you learn about the ins and outs of a wall tent while doing that. I have put a tremendous amount of thought into this project and really appreciate all of the input, it makes me think---and that is a good thing!
I'm funning you with the above^^^
I really enjoy my wall tent.
Without a doubt I could live in one for a moderate amount of time. I once spent 3 months in a two man tent sooo..

I'm funning you with the above^^^
I really enjoy my wall tent.
Without a doubt I could live in one for a moderate amount of time. I once spent 3 months in a two man tent sooo..
A wall tent is really comfort camping for sure. The best memory for me was hanging venison hind quarters on the front of the tent, and then trimming little scraps of meat off the back bone and frying them up on the wood stove with some taters and onions. Of course an adult beverage had a lot to do with that memory too.

That's a good idea, but I wanted to keep things small and simple. The side rails would actually help with making the walls of the tent stable. There is a custom canvas manufacturing place in Boise that will make the tent for me.
If you’re going anywhere other than ThunderMountain in Nampa you’re doing yourself a disservice.

Toby and his folks will get you set up right.

I have always wanted to turn one of these into a mountain ready mobile camp. High clearance, the structure is almost completely there except maybe add some pitch to the roof, hang heavy canvas or plywood for sides/roof. Add a wood stove and a cot, and a door.
42acea14-3ed5-4323-bc5d-f59a28840c95.jpg

Back