Wall Tent transportation

Yooper906

In the research phase of a wall tent or Kodiak Cabin Tent style.

I currently bring a deep freezer with me and store a lot of things in the freezer for the trip out, then if successful cram everything in the truck for ride home. I do have a topper, which allows more room in the truck bed. Typically, only 2 and sometimes 3 people/gear in truck, so it’s manageable.

I know people with wall tents and they all have a designated enclosed trailer for the wall tent/accessories. I really don’t want to pull a trailer every time I go west hunting.

So my question is, is it even possible to fit all hunting gear AND 14x16 wall tent/frame into a truck bed or am I better off going another route?

Happy Holidays,
Yooper

Where there is a will there is a way. I have packed a 12x14 tent with internal frame, stove, cots and my hunting gear into a SXS. I looked like the Clampetts heading up the trail but it fit. Also I have taken this setup regularly in a short box with a tonneau cover.

In the research phase of a wall tent or Kodiak Cabin Tent style.

So my question is, is it even possible to fit all hunting gear AND 14x16 wall tent/frame into a truck bed or am I better off going another route?
Yes, do it every year and 1-3 elk thrown in for good measure on the way home.

Thank me later:

How big is your truck bed? I do a wall tent, ATV, and all my gear with no trailer every year. BUT its usually only two people in the truck max. Back seat is jam packed lol

The wall tent should fit on a hitch carrier (aka deer duster). Wrap it in a blue tarp and it should be fine. The tarp is always handy to have at camp. DO NOT buy a hinged fold-up carrier. They hang too far out and will break the hitch or carrier. The tent may fold up tight enough to be low enough for the tailgate to drop.

We pull a trailer. It’s really not that big of a deal and nice to have plenty of room especially if you get a few animals down.

I get my 20x16, frame, wood stove, two tables, chairs, kitchen box, propane bottle, three lanterns, two cots, shovels axe and chainsaw, two sets of tire chains, two 48 quart ice chests and a bale of straw in my f150.

Man, I need to start playing Tetris more reading all these comments on ways you all pack! Appreciate the comments!

The wall tent should fit on a hitch carrier (aka deer duster). Wrap it in a blue tarp and it should be fine. The tarp is always handy to have at camp. DO NOT buy a hinged fold-up carrier. They hang too far out and will break the hitch or carrier. The tent may fold up tight enough to be low enough for the tailgate to drop.
Hitch carrier is a great idea! Not sure how I didn’t even think of that!

How big is your truck bed? I do a wall tent, ATV, and all my gear with no trailer every year. BUT it’s usually only two people in the truck max. Back seat is jam packed lol
5.5 ft truck bed. I get a lot of stuff in the deep freezer and on the way out it’s well organized. On the way back, things can get cramped if we get some animals down.

Do you bring a generator for the freezer? I imagine that and the gas for it takes up that much more room.

No, we don’t bring a generator. Prior to going to an area, I make arrangements to drop freezer off at a predetermined spot and when/if we kill something. So we hang onto freezer, then if we kill something bring freezer/meat into town and drop off. I am fortunate to be in a line of work where I have connections in most parts of the country.

No, we don’t bring a generator. Prior to going to an area, I make arrangements to drop freezer off at a predetermined spot and when/if we kill something. So we hang onto freezer, then if we kill something bring freezer/meat into town and drop off. I am fortunate to be in a line of work where I have connections in most parts of the country.
I’ve thought about toting one of my freezers to use as a big cooler myself but so far I’m 0-2 on my western hunts.

You may be able to turn the tent sideways in the bed and run the frame down the sides.

On my bigger trips I gather everything I want to bring and do a test load way in advance just to see how things fit and make any sacrifices in gear.

Having this little truck for a decade now has me very efficient. I can’t wait to have a big truck again someday.

Tip for hitch carriers: When parking at Walmart etc, avoid drive through parking. Back out instead. If you do drive through, remember to drive ahead and turn carefully and slowly when you leave or the carrier may gouge the vehicle parked alongside. Hasn't happened to me yet but I have observed it twice.

My 12x12 with frame fits into a toppered k1500. Along with too much other crap. (Jacks, spares, recovery equipment, saw, table, chairs, coolers, kitchen, kitchen sink...)

Last edited:
I’ve packed the 14x16 wall tent, frame, all camping gear, 2 kids, wife and dog in the Yukon for a weeks camping trip more than once. Frame and chairs went on top with a soft cargo pack on top of that. Coolers, stove and whatever fit on the hitch cargo carrier. The dog’s in hog heaven because he gets to ride in the back seat with the kids. Lol

By myself without all the extra bodies its roomy. Lol

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back