walking efficiently

Ok I have another question. When I am packing out heavy pack the thing that gets to me the most is my shoulders. They start burning like crazy. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Yup. A pack that has two features; 1) A good waist belt that shifts the weight from your shoulders to your hips, and 2) a pack that properly fits your torso length.

Look at the time results for most ultra marathons. The 40-60 age group is always well represented. In fact, there usually aren't very many competitors from the <30 age group at all. Obviously, a person's athletic potential is greater at 20 than at 60 but the mental game takes years to master. I don't see where hunting in the mountains is any different.
Absolutely this. I don't run many super long distances anymore. I used to run utlras, etc in my 20's but now take a more moderate approach. The mental aspect of exercise has changed a ton for me. I may not be as fast (and probably shouldn't be) but I can hike all damn day long if I need to. Once you accept that fact and don't expect to be done until it's dark it's much easier.

Also on the ultra thing my cousin has run multiple 100 mile races. What's the difference between 50 and 100 mile races? You just have to decide how long you want to suffer.

You didn't train enough when you were younger if you're in the best shape now.

I agree 100%! When I was younger, I thought I was in great shape and never bothered. About 10 years ago, the doc told me that I had diabetes and slightly overweight. I took my health very serious at that moment and do everything possible to stay in shape, knowing that I'm not getting any younger. I now use my elk hunting as a motivation to stay in shape. Knowing that I live 2500 miles away and at 650' elevation, and although not old yet, but will be there soon enough. It's all a mental thing.

Yup. A pack that has two features; 1) A good waist belt that shifts the weight from your shoulders to your hips, and 2) a pack that properly fits your torso length.

Both true. I would add ''Functional'' load lifters. Functional, meaning that they transfer weight from the shoulders in as direct a path as possible into that good belt.

Both true. I would add ''Functional'' load lifters. Functional, meaning that they transfer weight from the shoulders in as direct a path as possible into that good belt.

Good for you. I agree elk hunting will keep you young. (as long as you don't look in the mirror)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back