Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

VX3I line going away

List of what's new or updated from Leupold (as per a different forum post)

VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 1.5-5x20 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 2.5-8x36 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 3.5-10x50 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Boone & Crockett

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (30 mm) Side Focus CDS-ZL Wind-Plex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Wind-Plex Burnt Bronze

VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 (1 inch) CDS-ZL Duplex

VX-3HD 4.5-14x50 (30 mm) CDS-ZL Illum. FireDot Twilight Hunter

VX-3HD 6.5-20x40 (1 inch) EFR CDS-TZL2 Fine Duplex

VX-3HD 6.5-20x50 (30 mm) Side Focus CDS-TZL2 Fine Duplex

VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 (1 inch) MOA-Ring

VX-Freedom 2-7x33 (1 inch) Hunt-Plex

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 (1 inch) Hunt-Plex

VX-Freedom 3-9x40 (1 inch) CDS Tri-MOA

VX-Freedom 3-9x50 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

VX-Freedom 4-12x40 (1 inch) CDS Tri-MOA

VX-Freedom 4-12x50 (1 inch) CDS Duplex

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) AR-Ballistic

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) Illum. FireDot SPR

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) Illum. FireDot BDC

Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 3-9x40 (30mm) P5 MilDot

Mark 3HD 3-9x40 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 4-12x40 (30mm) P5 Illum. FireDot TMR

Mark 3HD 4-12x40 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 3HD 6-18x50 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Mark 3HD 8-24x50 (30mm) P5 Side Focus TMR

Last edited:
Anyone know if they’ll be using the same glass as the VX5HD and VX6HD? It’ll be a screaming deal if they do and keep the price point about the same as the current VX3i.
If they were the same glass as the VX5 or VX6 they would be a VX5 or 6. This will be different and at a different price point.
Has it been determined if the glass has been upgraded?
I'm sure it will be, but at what measurable amount consumers will not know.
Most probably know this but I'm sure a few don't know what the 3 in VX3 means. It means the max magnification is 3 times the lowest magnification of the scopes range. Same goes for the VX5 and VX6 and so on. It takes a lot more tricks to make a scope have a good optical performance in a wider magnification range, hence the price difference as well.

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me! Make it official already Leupold! The Delta Point Micro seems cool and all, but let's see some scopes!

I think I'm going to pick up one of the vx-3i's while I can. I'm sure the new vx-3 line will be improved but will it really be that much different in a real world hunting situation? I've always like Leupold. their scopes are made to last.

I contacted schmalts about a VX-3i CDS ZL before I just saw this thread. Was all excited to put new glass on a new gun. But now I’ll wait and figure out the ammo first with my VX-1 3-9x40. That’s all I’ll really need forever truth be told, I do love that old scope.

I contacted schmalts about a VX-3i CDS ZL before I just saw this thread. Was all excited to put new glass on a new gun. But now I’ll wait and figure out the ammo first with my VX-1 3-9x40. That’s all I’ll really need forever truth be told, I do love that old scope.
this. my first deer rifle/scope combo was a pre-64 winchester 30-30 that my grandfather gave me. I put a side mounted Leupold 2.5x scope on it and shot multiple deer in the hills of WV. that little late 1980's 2.5x Leupold scope gathered light like you wouldn't believe. I could see deer clearly ALL the way to very last shooting light and that was with 16-18 year old eyes.

point being I'm sure a vx-3i may be one upped in some way by the new vx-3HD line but I'm equally sure a vx-3i will do everything you need in hunting situations you would buy that kind of scope for.

this. my first deer rifle/scope combo was a pre-64 winchester 30-30 that my grandfather gave me. I put a side mounted Leupold 2.5x scope on it and shot multiple deer in the hills of WV. that little late 1980's 2.5x Leupold scope gathered light like you wouldn't believe. I could see deer clearly ALL the way to very last shooting light and that was with 16-18 year old eyes.

point being I'm sure a vx-3i may be one upped in some way by the new vx-3HD line but I'm equally sure a vx-3i will do everything you need in hunting situations you would buy that kind of scope for.
You make a lot of sense sir. But unfortunately your kind of sense doesn’t sell new scopes, new rifles, new boats, new trucks, etc. I like the way you think.

You make a lot of sense sir. But unfortunately your kind of sense doesn’t sell new scopes, new rifles, new boats, new trucks, etc. I like the way you think.
I don't think he knows what he is talking about. mtmuley

The one scope I still show in stock that may still be around is the Leupold 170689 VX-3i 4.5-14x 40mm Obj 19.9-7.4 ft @ 100 yds FOV 1" Tube Black Matte Finish Duplex. I think because it is not a CDS model they are not killing that one off. The other reason I assume it is still staying current is because it is not being closed out at the big box stores. I show a few in stock yet. If that is of interest PM me.

Any word on how weights will differ from the 3i line? One of the things I really appreciate about Leupold in general, and my vx-3 in particular, is how light it is, for being such a nice scope.

This is how conspiracies get started. ;)

Leupold dominates this category, so there is not a chance they are going away from that. They are doubling down. The VX5HD and the VX6HD are both "HD" because of the coatings, lenses, etc.

The next line of VX3 will drop the "i" and will be VX3HD, as they are making some upgrades to increase the value proposition.

I suspect you will be hearing the actual details in the next week or so. Rest assured, it is taking their leadership position in this value class and making it even better.

And trust me, you will like the VX3HD a LOT!
DANG IT! I just took my VX3i off my 6.5 to throw on my new hunting rifle - it should be getting installed and sent back shortly from Double Broomed Mountain Rifles. He was waiting to mount it when my stock was finished. Now I'm going to have to look to go out and get the HD and put that back on my Creedmoor. HAHA

Might just have to upgraded all my scopes to the VX5, was thinking a few that I dont shoot often can get a VX3i and save a few bucks.

Just looked on the Leupold web site, can someone explain "side focus" to me?

Just looked on the Leupold web site, can someone explain "side focus" to me?
Normally side focus is for your paralx adjustment - set it to 50, 100, 150, 200, etc.
This is to normally 'set the focus' for those ranges. It makes it clearest around those distances if I'm correct.

I pulled this offline: Parallax occurs when the target and reticle are on different planes within the scope. ... But most scopes made for more long-range shooting do have a parallax adjustment, either as an adjustable ring on the objective lens or more commonly as an adjustable turret on the side of the scope.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back