Caribou Gear Tarp

Vacuum Sealers

I like the Cabela's 15" Commercial-Grade Vacuum Sealer.
The double seal features work really well. Cabelas warrenty is also easy to work with.

Whatever sealer you end up buying, my advice is to get the widest one you can get. Also there is a difference between the good bags and the cheapo bags. It's the thickness of the bags so you get what you pay for. It's much easier for ice crystals to poke a hole through the thinner bags and loose vacum.

I have the 3880 food saver model and really like it. It is easy to use and no problems so far (in my 2nd year).

I've processed 13 elk and dang near just as many antelope and deer in the last 7 years, if you want to go really cheap steal a hand full of straws from McDonalds the next time you are there and invest in some Ziploc bags. Haven't lost any meat to freezer burn since.

I have heard that you put the bag in water and it will force the air out than seal it.I have never done it,so I cant say how well it works.

Great thread Dave! I too have been wondering the same thing. Is it worth the extra $ to get one that lasts and does a better job. I have a FoodSaver Vac550 that is probably 6-8 years old but it hasn't been worked that hard. I have tried to do meats and vegetables and fish with it but about 2 out of 5 packages will get sucked down tight and sealed and then several minutes later they have air in the package and have to be redone. I want to buy a new one but I'm not wanting to go through that hassle anymore. Maybe this is a common problem?

Muskeez, try freezing your meat/fish before vac-sealing. Then it WILL suck out all the air. Sometimes I will partially freeze meats, then place a folded paper towel in the bag just ahead of the meat/fish to soak up the liquid before vac sealing the bag. Either one works. I prefer to freeze the items hard before the sealing though.

I bought the foodsaver that Costco sells on sale, it works great so far and if it craps out I'll put Costcos return policy to use and get a new one. I packaged about 60 butchered chickens this spring and random stuff since then and can't wait to use it this fall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back