PEAX Equipment

Utah General vs. Limited Entry Units

glassy

I'm looking to purchase bonus points for Utah elk this year, but am hesitant with how long it will take to draw one of the limited entry hunts there. Does anyone know what the general units are like in Utah. I know they will not have the same trophy potential as the limited entry hunts and will have many more hunters, but how do the general units in Utah compare to say Colorado OTC tags? Is it possible to get a decent bull there if you really work at it?

Bottom Line: Is it worth it to look at general units for elk in Utah, or am I better off just waiting 10-15 years to draw limited entry?

Thanks for any help,
Paul

I've never hunted UT but do apply. Everything Ive researched says the General units in UT are way worse than CO OTC. Low elk numbers,terrible success rates, and lots of pressure even compared to CO. I'm sure u could have a good hunt there but overall u have much better odds of having a better hunt in CO on average comparing General ut vs. co. Now the limited units are a diff story. Plan on waiting 10 yrs minimum to draw even a mid tier tag there with a outside chance of drawing sooner in the random pool.

Thanks, Thomas. Everything I have read so far about the general units is pretty consistent with what you just said. I'm hoping someone who has hunted them will give some first hand testimony to what they are like. Part of the reason I'm considering them is because I've never hunted elk before, and I don't really want to spend a bunch of money (or points) on a first hunt which will be a learning experience. Utah general units are by far the cheapest NR elk tag I've found so far. But...if I'm not going to learn anything about elk and elk hunting because there are no animals there, then I don't want to bother with it.

Cow tags can help you learn about elk and elk hunting. Many of the LE units in Utah have lots of those. If one was up for it, it'd be possible to hunt a LE unit on cow or general season spike tags multiple times while trying to draw the bull tag.

Cow tags can help you learn about elk and elk hunting.

This is a good point, 1_pointer, but, being located in Wisconsin, and for the cost and time of traveling out west I'd like to be able to at least have a chance at harvesting a decent bull if I were to see one. It would suck to pass on a 6x6 because I don't have a tag. Driving out west is too much of a pain in the ass for a cow or spike bull, IMO. More power to you if you're willing to do it, though.

pfrater, I left Wisconsin in the 70's and moved west to California and now Arizona. The first thing I learned about living in the west is that its nothing to drive 40-50 miles for a coffee and a burger. If driving out west is as you say "a pain in the ass" you haven't figured it out, its part of the charm of coming out here to hunt. Enjoy the trip and the country on your way. One of the best hunting tips I ever received was from a cop out of Panguich UT, I got stopped for speeding with a Uhaul full of moose meat from a BC hunt. He told me about the paunsagunt unit in UT. I didn't get a ticket but did draw a tag some years later. As Forest Gump said,"Life is like a box of chocolates". You now the rest of the story. FWIW. GJ

Last edited:
Thanks for calling me out, grandejuan. I didn't really mean "pain in the ass" in the sense that I hate doing it. I love the adventure, beauty, and often loneliness of driving out west. What I meant was that I work, have two little kids, and often can only get away for a week at a time, so I have to make the most of the experience when I am able to trek westward for the short time that I have.

I tried leaving Wisconsin...it just keeps drawing me back...can't figure it out.

I went to Marquette and if the USN didn't send me to California I'd be walking in your shoes right now. Wisconsin is a nice place. GJ

I have hunted Utah general tags and LE tags. I lived there for over 20 years. They are night and day. The LE units are world class experiences (for the most part) and the general seasons can leave you feeling crowded and underwhelmed. That being said...I have taken and seen my best deer in Utah on general season archery and muzzle loader hunts. I live our east now and will for the next couple years. I will continue to apply for Utah tags (as well as four to five other states). There is something really special about being in the middle of a bunch of rut crazed bulls. I have had that experience many times in both LE and general season elk units in Utah. I am a big proponent of people utilizing the archery spike and cow tags on the LE units to learn the area and how to hunt elk. Then when you do draw the tag you know where to go and how to hunt the bigger bulls.

Best of luck and let me know if I can answer any specific questions about units.

This is a good point, 1_pointer, but, being located in Wisconsin, and for the cost and time of traveling out west I'd like to be able to at least have a chance at harvesting a decent bull if I were to see one. It would suck to pass on a 6x6 because I don't have a tag. Driving out west is too much of a pain in the ass for a cow or spike bull, IMO. More power to you if you're willing to do it, though.
It would also suck to have your first year of elk hunting be on a tag that took a decade or two to draw. I've driven out for cow elk. I've also flown/driven out just to help a friend with a once in a lifetime tag. It's your time, money, and priorities.

I'd recommend you find another state to hunt elk. There are better general season tags from CO, MT and ID. Plus, you're getting sucked into UT's bonus point drawing system which will take you 10 years to draw a lesser quality elk unit.

It depends on what you want.

Utah General tags are tough sledding, but if you can figure it out then you have a NR elk tag less than $450 with license a year. I know a few residents that have figured out the General Area and now put in for deer instead, because they kill good bulls every year.

Utah has cow elk tags for $218 that can be drawn with a few points and you can hunt a dream unit multiple times for cows before drawing for a bull.

The Utah LE Elk hunts are special, because it is a limited amount of people in the area and you get to see the elk behave more naturally than in other elk hunts.

I drew an LE for a late rifle with 6 points last year and the bulls and cows were still talking in November.

Colorado, Idaho, and Montana are probably a better bet starting out at killing a good bull.

I live in Utah and still haven't figured them out. I now have 16 points and will likely have 17 points by the end of May. That said, I love to eat elk. Between me and my kids, we have had opportunities to fill out freezer regularly with cows over the past many years. I have hunted the general season bull hunts, both spike and any bull, and have killed a couple of small bulls doing this. That said, I have gotten to know some amazing country, eat great elk steaks and roasts, and learn a little bit about how they act during certain times of the year. Someday, I am going to draw a big bull elk tag and I can't wait. Until then, I will continue to learn what I can about elk behavior, patterns, language and habitat so that I am better prepared for my big opportunity.

FWIW, I didn't have a dad or grandpa teach me to hunt elk. I had hunted elk for 6 years, that is right 6 years, before I shot my first cow. I learned a lot of really hard lessons during that time, but since then, I have harvested 8 elk myself (2 bulls and 6 cows) and helped each of my three teenage children shoot cows and my brother and buddies harvest them too. I have told my kids that they don't understand how good they have it with their dad putting in the time to teach them the ropes.

Anyway, through all those years of trying and learning hard lessons, I learned one really important lesson "You can't kill any elk sitting on your couch". I literally told myself that this past January on my cow hunt. I had hunted hard and my boys had decided that they were done trying for the year. I hate doing it in deep snow by myself and so when my 15 year old son bailed last minute on a planned Saturday jaunt to the elk hills, I decided that I wasn't going to go either. The whole time I sat on my couch working on backed up emails and other "necessary" items, I kept hearing that great advice once told to me, "You can't kill an elk sitting on the couch". I finally gave up on my emails and watching hunting on YouTube and talked my buddy into one more afternoon with me. I left the house at 2:20pm and was home with a suburban full of cow elk about 9:30 that night. Thank goodness for good friends, and thank goodness I live so close to the elk. Boy she sure does taste amazing too. Those Reverse Seared, smoked elk tenderloins were absolutely awesome. My point, I am lucky to live close to where they live, but that doesn't matter if I don't get off my butt and into the mountains to learn more about them.

Good luck, and Idaho is pretty awesome for really good opportunities without worrying about all the points. But you will spend a pretty penny to go up there. My buddy has gone the last two years and I am jealous. But....I also have created amazing memories with my 18 year old son and daughter and their 15 year old brother that I couldn't have created if I chose to only hunt for me.

FH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back