Utah 2020 Draw Results Thread

Desk Pop

These should be out in the near future. Best of luck to all. Don't look up draw odds for OIL and elk...they are a gut punch.

Been in as a NR for 14 years...just a few years before you could put in for all species. Have drawn Book Cliffs deer and a good antelope hunt...anything other than deer and antelope have some pretty tough odds, so I am not holding my breath.

I want results out just so I can stop raising my debit card limit at midnight every night. Been doing it since the middle of last week. UT is rather haphazard with when they start hitting cards.

I want results out just so I can stop raising my debit card limit at midnight every night. Been doing it since the middle of last week. UT is rather haphazard with when they start hitting cards.

Debit Card? This has nothing to do with Utah draw results, but for the sake of your bank account, do NOT use a debit card. Use a credit card. Friends don't let friends use debit cards.

Debit Card? This has nothing to do with Utah draw results, but for the sake of your bank account, do NOT use a debit card. Use a credit card. Friends don't let friends use debit cards.
I don’t disagree. I watched my parents spend over a decade digging out of credit card debt and have a distaste for credit cards. Used responsibly there’s nothing wrong with them, I’ve looked into it a few times. I could certainly benefit from using one in various ways not related to hunting as well. I Haven’t pulled that trigger yet. I didn’t have any issue getting a mortgage with a great rate in spite of never having a credit card.

I don’t disagree. I watched my parents spend over a decade digging out of credit card debt and have a distaste for credit cards. Used responsibly there’s nothing wrong with them, I’ve looked into it a few times. I could certainly benefit from using one in various ways not related to hunting as well. I Haven’t pulled that trigger yet. I didn’t have any issue getting a mortgage with a great rate in spite of never having a credit card.

Sorry for my sideways manner and not being to the point. I am speaking about the differences in fraud activity and amount of potential damages between credit cards and debit cards. Ask any person who deals with banking fraud if they use a credit card or a debit card? There is a reason so many more will say credit card and how few use a debit card.

Sorry for my sideways manner and not being to the point. I am speaking about the differences in fraud activity and amount of potential damages between credit cards and debit cards. Ask any person who deals with banking fraud if they use a credit card or a debit card? There is a reason so many more will say credit card and how few use a debit card.

That is crazy. Can anyone explain to me why this is?

Apparently the new "correct" answer when it comes to fraud mitigation are digital payment methods like Apply Pay used in conjunction with credit cards. These mobile payment methods transmit tokens between buyer and seller rather than the actual card information.

Learned this and had it confirmed by two different cyber security auditors that we hired to do our annual checkup/ make sure we were secure for fully remote operations.

Last edited:

30k foot answer, your credit card company will immediately issue a refund for the fraudulent charges, your bank most likely will not, and even after confirming the fraud might not issue a refund depending on the amount. You are losing money directly out of your account in the case of a debit card, in the case of a credit card you are losing someone else's money.

Wllm has your answer. With a debit card, your bank account can get cleaned out in a hurry. Then it is on you to get your money returned, with varying cooperation from your bank (usually low levels of cooperation). When it is a credit card, it is the credit card going after the thief. They have the experience and resources to do that. You still have money in your bank.

CPAs go to many classes on fraud. This topic always comes up. I hammer my family members when I see them using debit cards. They all look at me like I'm crazy, but two of them got cleaned out and now are converts to the teachings. Too bad it took such a big pain in the butt for them to see the light.

Sorry for such a distraction to this thread. It just always bothers me to see folks taking such high risks so their banks can make more in transaction fees.

I figured that was the direction you were going. I don’t remember the year, but it was probably between 2006 and 2010. My card info got stolen. My bank shut it down immediately(before my account was completely drained) and called me to ask if I’d done that. I drove to the nearest branch, they issued me a new card on the spot(it was the first smooth card I’d ever seen) and told me to use it the way I would if all the money was still in my account. By the end of the week all the fraudulent charges were cleared up. I’m not saying it would go that way for everyone, or even people at my local bank, under all circumstances.

Ask any person who deals with banking fraud if they use a credit card or a debit card? There is a reason so many more will say credit card and how few use a debit card.
This is what I do for a living (run the Fraud and Security business for a major software company), and I’ll reiterate what BigFin stated. If your credit card gets compromised, the bank takes the loss. If your debit card gets compromised, then they can clean out your bank account (up to your limit) and the bank has no responsibility to cover you. We’re also seeing a big uptick in wire fraud the past couple of years. Mostly through email compromise. They intercept emails regarding a wire transfer or compromise an intermediary such as a title company. You think the email with the wire instructions is for the legitimate entity, but it’s been spoofed and they insert their own account information. Next thing you know, you’ve wired thousands (or more!) to an offshore bank in the Cayman Islands never to see it again. So always authenticate wire instructions verbally with a known person at the entity you are wiring money to!

Bottom line in the bank’s liability is that credit accounts and deposit accounts are different beasts. In a deposit account, if a thief uses your debit card (or counterfeit checks, etc), they are taking your money directly from your account. With credit products, the initial transaction is between the credit card company and the merchant, and you are merely the initiator of the transaction. Therefore, it’s the banks money that was stolen and they are not allowed to pass that on to you. They have started, however, passing it back to the merchant for “card not present” transactions. Think about online transactions, phone orders, etc. where the card is not physically swiped and therefore the security instruments built into the card are bypassed. In those cases, the credit card company can, and does, put it back on the merchant. Which is why you now see lots of fraud controls being implemented on e-commerce websites.

I call it all “job security”. :p

Identity fraud is by far the biggest thing we as individuals need to worry about. Almost every other type of fraud against individuals starts with someone getting information about you, your accounts, your passwords, etc. Be careful with your personal information folks. Every time you type it into a computer, there’s a good chance someone on the other end is stealing it or selling it. Also be careful with apps. Many of them look like fun games for free, but they are really just covert surveillance machines that sit there watching everything you do on your device and where you are, and then transmits that data to servers where it’s bulked up and sold. The bad guys put all the little bits from all the different sources together, and voila, they know everything about you. Companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc make tons of money selling your data. It’s their dirty little secret and they don’t want anyone to know about it.

Bottom line in the bank’s liability is that credit accounts and deposit accounts are different beasts. In a deposit account, if a thief uses your debit card (or counterfeit checks, etc), they are taking your money directly from your account. With credit products, the initial transaction is between the credit card company and the merchant, and you are merely the initiator of the transaction. Therefore, it’s the banks money that was stolen and they are not allowed to pass that on to you. They have started, however, passing it back to the merchant for “card not present” transactions. Think about online transactions, phone orders, etc. where the card is not physically swiped and therefore the security instruments built into the card are bypassed. In those cases, the credit card company can, and does, put it back on the merchant. Which is why you now see lots of fraud controls being implemented on e-commerce websites.

I call it all “job security”. :p

Identity fraud is by far the biggest thing we as individuals need to worry about. Almost every other type of fraud against individuals starts with someone getting information about you, your accounts, your passwords, etc. Be careful with your personal information folks. Every time you type it into a computer, there’s a good chance someone on the other end is stealing it or selling it. Also be careful with apps. Many of them look like fun games for free, but they are really just covert surveillance machines that sit there watching everything you do on your device and where you are, and then transmits that data to servers where it’s bulked up and sold. The bad guys put all the little bits from all the different sources together, and voila, they know everything about you. Companies like Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc make tons of money selling your data. It’s their dirty little secret and they don’t want anyone to know about it.

Scary stuff, really.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back