Caribou Gear

UT 2010 count down!!!

LOL, Misty told me to use chip-n-dales but I figured he'd quit hunt'n if we made it to real :)

Wow. Pat doesn't waste time and shoots quick. I heard that about him.:hump:

Regardless, I am looking forward to stories and pics (of an elk).

Yea I punched my tag.. long story too long to type on this little keypad. I have been humbled on elk hunting and on how much work it is, even more so in the 90 degree temps. I did not shoot the bull I intended to take on such a tag. I can have more details later but wo. Make it real short a great bull pushed a few cows into a thick oak brush drainage and I made a move on it at 1pm of all things. I was sleeping in the shade when I heard cow talk and seen them scurry into the oak brush lined drainage. I got 130 or so yards above them at a fork in the drainage and waited it out. 20 min later they popped out and side hilled and I had only a moment to take a shot. I shot, he rolled down the drainage breaking tines.I waited a while to see a few more cows and the big bull come out. Yes, the worst thing happened and I shot a different bull that I had watched earlier that day and passed on. Not a bad bull but not what I was looking for. But, it is what it is. I called for a horse asap with the heat,and I think I saved it by getting the quarters off in record time and in the shade. I ran out of water and was hurting pretty bad and drank half a gallon when the hoses got there. They only had to go 1.2 miles and it took then 2 hours and they still could not get to me because of the oak brush. Thry back tracked many times and finally came up the bottom of the drainage until the rocks got bad. Had to pack the meat .17 miles to the horses. I left all my gear and the head out there and got this am. Never will I shoot a bull in oak brush, no frickin way. I acually thought of moosie, that video he posted on his xheep hunt when he was so thirsty his mouth had no spit, that's how I was and was losing my voice. Working on that bull in the sun and humping the meat to the shade was rough. I am done solo elk hunting...

Glad he beat the crowds..gonna be lots of company on the mountain by sat with the general hunt opening.

The general deer opened the same day. Not many deer hunters where I was, and none today, I don't blame them that oak brush sucks

I know how you feel, bout killed me packing out my September bull a few years ago, the heat more than anything.

Congrats on the bull. I was meaning the general spike elk hunt opens on Saturday.

Post pics when you recover and congrats. I am guessing it's still a great looking bull!

The bull's not "that bad"... geez man.. you did great! With the conditions as such and the impact that unit had with spike hunters, you did damn good. Be proud of that bull and by hell, go find those broken tines!!!

picture.php

picture.php

He has good mass at the bases at least

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back