Used vehicle prices

It is crazy here in PA what used trucks are bringing. They say it’s because they can’t get new trucks because of the chip shortage. I know at the local Ford dealer they have one or two new ford truck and sometimes they don’t even have that.

New ones ,you can't find , will cost 22% more next year.
My 98 Tacoma should be up to $ 30k in price by then. Only 336k on it. Cost $24k new. I paid $15k with 36k on it in 2 years.

Getting ready to sell my 2019 4Runner with 30k miles on it. Should fetch more than I paid for it new, or about equal to what I paid after some aftermarket upgrades. Truck I bought to replace it is selling for 1.5x what I paid a month ago. Crazy times.

Last edited:
It’s insane. In 2020 I had to put a new engine in my F150. Over the weekend the timing went to shit on my new engine with 44,000 miles on it. It’s under warranty, but we’ll see how much they stand behind that.
In the meantime I need a truck. I was just going to buy a new one, and then once this one gets fixed sell it.

I just called about a truck that is listed online at 62,200, and the guy kind of laughed and said oh yeah that’s just the Ford MSRP price shown online. That truck is for sale for $84,000.
Since that one is a lariat, I was hoping to see what an XL or XLT of the same cab/engine/bed would be.

$84k for a half ton truck. No F’ing way.

Looks like I’ll be surveying out of a 21 year old two door Jeep while I figure out what’s going on with this truck, and hopefully get it fixed up to keep on using it.

Rolling my old GMC till the wheels fall off. Then, right into the 86 Chevy. mtmuley
I baby my old 98 Tacoma and it will probably outlast the 01' Offroad Lariat I got for $13k w/36kmi, 6 years ago. It has 136k on it now.

It’s insane. In 2020 I had to put a new engine in my F150. Over the weekend the timing went to shit on my new engine with 44,000 miles on it. It’s under warranty, but we’ll see how much they stand behind that.
In the meantime I need a truck. I was just going to buy a new one, and then once this one gets fixed sell it.

I just called about a truck that is listed online at 62,200, and the guy kind of laughed and said oh yeah that’s just the Ford MSRP price shown online. That truck is for sale for $84,000.
Since that one is a lariat, I was hoping to see what an XL or XLT of the same cab/engine/bed would be.

Looks like I’ll be surveying out of a 21 year old two door Jeep while I figure out what’s going on with this truck, and hopefully get it fixed up to keep on using it.
I know of one dealer here in NC that lost their dealership over running new vehicles with just a few miles on them through the auction to make profits. ( Manufacturers control MSRP but not resale value ) and they were selling new cars as used because they could get more money in this crazy market and GM took the dealership away from them.

I know of one dealer here in NC that lost their dealership over running new vehicles with just a few miles on them through the auction to make profits. ( Manufacturers control MSRP but not resale value ) and they were selling new cars as used because they could get more money in this crazy market and GM took the dealership away from them.
Thats crazy.

Lots of dealers adding ADM (additional dealer markup) to high demand models and still selling them as new. Big problems with this with both the Bronco and Mustang Mach e. $20k+ markups over MSRP. I’ve heard Ford is cracking down on this though.

I just did the same thing. Bought an 01 cherokee until I can find an alternative

Lots of dealers adding ADM (additional dealer markup) to high demand models and still selling them as new. Big problems with this with both the Bronco and Mustang Mach e. $20k+ markups over MSRP. I’ve heard Ford is cracking down on this though.
Yeah, i was looking at new broncos today and all were 10k over msrp.

I about threw up last May when we got my wife a new car. My absolute favorite thing in the world is to negotiate with car salesmen. There wasn’t much negotiating then. Now it would be even worse.

My 2014 ram 3500 with 238,000 is just gonna have to do for a while.

I can’t see myself being happy buying a nearly $100,000 pickup to put $6 fuel in it, but I guess that could be the new norm.

I'm in the same boat, I've been looking for a used 3/4 ton for the past year.... 35-45k for a truck with 175,000+ miles is the going price in my area. In the meantime I just keep running my 05 1/2 ton Silverado.

Last edited:
Back