Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Used 25-06 help

Irrelevant

Anyone want to help me find a used 25-06, wood stock, $300-500? Something that could take a good poke out on an antelope. I was perusing gunbroker earlier and there seems to be quite a few older "custom" 25s that fit in that price range but I don't know nearly enough about them. I'd also be game to consider anything in that approximate size but a different caliber.

Well, you can't have mine!

But if I hear of anything available, I'll let you know. My 25-06 has been great on pronghorn, mule deer & coyotes!

Guy

I bought both my Ruger 77 (257 Roberts, 280 Rem) at a local gunshop for $400 each.
Right place, right time.
If i run accross one, i will let you know. IF i don't keep it for myself! Lol
Still no 25-06 in the stable.

I picked up a mid 80s ADL 25-05 at a local gunshop for $400 about a year ago. I hunted with a Browning Abolt in 25-06 for a decade or so before that. I see a few older ADLs and BDLs on Gunbroke occasionally.

Reactions: Guy
Tired of the .270 already?
Not exactly but the more I shoot it the more I wish I'd bought a 25-06 instead. I used a 25 for a couple years just out of college, borrowed from a friend, when I went to buy the 270 I got talked into a cartridge that I could find a box of ammo for at any gas station as I'm prone to forgetting even the most important things on a hunt. Wish I would have stuck to a slightly smaller gun

Last edited:
can't have mine either! Was my deer killing rifle for years as a kid, can't wait to take it along after pronghorn one day.

I have one I got from my dad and have taken a heap of deer and antelope with it...but it is now my wife’s gun and she is quite partial to it.

If it’s any consolation it sounds like people on here including me really think you will enjoy the 25.06 once you do get one. Best of luck in your search.

Capable round with modest recoil. Chuck Hawks's table shows 10 lbs of recoil in an 8 lb rifle with a 100 grain @ 3230fps.

Have enough twist for these? That would be a fast mofo within much recoil.
How critical is twist rate? Most 25.06 are 1:10 as mine are, but I shoot bullets recommended for 1:9 or faster with no issues whatsoever.

I was in Dicks sporting goods last night and they had a wood stock ADL Rem 700 25/06 for $499. I almost bought it, good thing my wife was with me. The gunsafe only has room for one more and that spot is for her to get a semi custom.

How critical is twist rate? Most 25.06 are 1:10 as mine are, but I shoot bullets recommended for 1:9 or faster with no issues whatsoever.

I’m not a ballistic guru, but from my limited knowledge it can become pretty critical at longer ranges. At moderate (400 and in) I think it’s hit or miss how much it matters.

I was looking at using 80 gr barnes ttsx in the 25-06, which according the a stability calculator I was using and a 1:10 twist in all the 25-06s I've seen is quite stable and according to barnes comes out at a max velocity of >3600.

One thing that helps your case is elevation. Also, at a certain point the bullet will just not stabilize, but prior to that there's a bunch of gray area where your ballistic coefficient is not optimized but it still "works". Like JLS said, that slight decrease in slippery-ness would matter basically none at moderate ranges. Berger has a very user friendly twist rate stability calculator. Bullet length and twist matter a lot, temperature/velocity/elevation matter a little. https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back