USDA national forest maps

jakesdad

Anybody ever used any of these maps? Was going to order some for national Forest in Nebraska but wasnt sure on how the quality was for these. Any other recommendations for National Forest mapping appreciated!!

It is the First step in Scouting a new area. Mark it up where maintained trails and Trailheads are, Which roads are open during the season, figure out where the public campgrounds are, and take note of the trail and road numbers.

I think most are 1:250:000 scale. For detailed scouting and orienteering, and topo information a topo map of 1:50,000 seems to be the most useful to me.

Depending on what you are wanting as far as maps, but I'd definitely take a look at the free .pdfs that can be used on a phone through the app Avenza. Many/most are travel management maps. They can work with your phones GPS and show you where you be. I used one in AZ back in Feb and it worked well for navigating.

Anybody ever used any of these maps? Was going to order some for national Forest in Nebraska but wasnt sure on how the quality was for these. Any other recommendations for National Forest mapping appreciated!!

I still use old fashion paper maps. They are usually where I start whenever I go into a new area. They work great for getting the big picture, then once I've narrowed down the areas that I want to take a closer look at I move on to more in depth maps and Sat photos.

Nebraska game and fish has a nice app for your phone. I bought the chip from hunting gps maps for Nebraska but it isn't accurate, for some reason. It marks a lot off land as NF but it isn't. I really like the plat books that you can get from the county.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back