Unplanned night in the woods

Bambistew

I've been thinking a bit about this for a while. I've ended up spending a few nights in woods/mountain unexpectedly due to killing an animal which requires a lot of work before you go to bed... aka moose, or terrain being unsafe to navigate in the dark, cliffs, rivers, etc. Camping out was really the only option.

So far I've been lucky and managed to get through the night(s) without issue as the weather was decent. I always have enough cloths to stay warm and dry and usually pack a large space blanket along for a real emergency. However this year after shooting my sheep, we contemplated camping out on the mountain to save us a trip back up the next day to get Larry's sheep. We finally decided against it as the hike back up wasn't terrible, but it was going to set us back a day for a round trip. On the way back it started raining and finally a soaking rain settled in. Wasn't fun but were glad that we weren't 2000 feet above getting drenched. This made me ponder...

I've got a really light shelter that sets up with trekking poles, but didn't bring it as weight is an issue on an extened backpack trip. I think I can find something lighter, along with a quilt or something light/compact for a bit of added warmth. I usually have a 1/3 of a Z-rest pad in my pack to sit on while glassing or when the ground is wet. I've used it a few times as a sleeping pad when needed and it works fine. I'd like to find a combo shelter and maybe a quilt that will top out at 2ish lbs if possible.

Currently I have a G-Lite SL2 shelter, its close to 2lbs and usually stays at the extraction point as a secondary shelter.

I hate thinking about packing 2 shelters and two "sleeping bags" but I think it might be a good idea? I think I've spent about 5-6 nights out away from camp in the last 3-4 years, and once the work is done its pretty hard to get much sleep especially without a fire and the temps are in the high 20's to near freezing.

Anyone been in a similar situation? If so what gear are you using?

Bambi: No help here, however, hypothermia is not a fun thing. 2 lbs. sounds like "little" to save your life. Good luck to that Alaska hunting.

good luck to all
the dog

One night we spotted a ram just before dark up higher on the mountain. My brother and I decided to throw a sleeping bag in just in case. Well we didn't get the ram that night and so having climbed all that elevation and looking down where we dropped the camp decided to stay up there for the next morning. Now here's the deal the weather was nice (no rain) We just layed on the soft tundra and covered ourselves with the 1 sleeping bag.
I'm not sure what I would be carrying for an overnight emergency. Maybe a Goretex bivy and light tarp. The downside of a tarp and poles is that if it's raining hard the water is eventually going to work it's way under you and get you wet. That's why I would think a goretex bivy, lightweight down bag and the tarp would be the best thing. IMO

The thing is you need to be thinking about this stuff before you head off after the critter. Sometimes we get caught up in the hunt and don't think properly about the "What if's"

I used the AMK SOL escape bivvy the other night on the mountain. About 9kft on top of snow with the temps in the 20's-high teens. I put it inside my 0 degree bag, and wore all my clothes. I was toasty warm, but I doubt I would've been with just the SOL bivvy, it would probably keep me from having hypothermia though.

I would suggest having some stuff to make a fire (fuel source and starter). Fire will keep you warm and help you dry your clothes.

Hilleberg makes a thing they call the Bivanorak. I've never used it but it looks like a pretty versatile piece of equipment to have in your pack in case you find yourself in a bind. Weighs about 1 1/4 lbs

After this goat hunt, I've decided to stop hunting where I can't walk to from the Camper:)LOL

Oh, and if its snowy or under 35 degrees, not going anymore...;)

I've not been in that exact situation, but have backpacked with some pretty minimal sleep systems.. Here's one guys thoughts on an option.

Carry an ultralight bivy sack. There are near waterproof options for 5-8 oz and waterproof options for 11-16 oz. The bivy alone, combined with a puffy jacket if you are carrying one, would improve your night. If you want more than that but you don't want to tote your regular sleeping bag with you, consider the quilt option for a pound and change. You could put the quilt over your regular bag when in camp, and either stay warmer or carry less sleeping bag to start with ( say a 30 degree bag plus a 30 degree quilt).

Maybe 3/4 lb for the bivy, 2 lb for both, if you save some on your main bag maybe you only gain one pound overall.

I've not been in that exact situation, but have backpacked with some pretty minimal sleep systems.. Here's one guys thoughts on an option.

Carry an ultralight bivy sack. There are near waterproof options for 5-8 oz and waterproof options for 11-16 oz. The bivy alone, combined with a puffy jacket if you are carrying one, would improve your night. If you want more than that but you don't want to tote your regular sleeping bag with you, consider the quilt option for a pound and change. You could put the quilt over your regular bag when in camp, and either stay warmer or carry less sleeping bag to start with ( say a 30 degree bag plus a 30 degree quilt).

Maybe 3/4 lb for the bivy, 2 lb for both, if you save some on your main bag maybe you only gain one pound overall.
I think this plus a couple of chemical hand warmers could get a guy through some pretty rough weather. Might not be as comfy as a 'real' camp, but I think it'd work. For their weight, the chemical handwarmers inside an insulating layer can add a lot to the temps one can withstand.

I've read some good reviews of this bivy and it's not very heavy or expensive. Might be worth a call to see if they could make the whole thing with the waterproof material they use on the bottom.
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

For me, it's an OR Advanced Bivy (just over 2 lbs) and a Mont-bell 0 degree bag (right around 3 lbs). So with ~5 lbs of gear I know I can survive the night in any weather MT will throw at me. Here's the Advance Bivy:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/accessories/advanced-bivy.html

The Bivy doesn't breath that well - so I tend to get some condensation. But for 1 night it's not an issue. I was able to pick this one up when Pipestone Mountaineering had their close-out sale.

I've done unplanned nights out without these. If you can build a fire - then it's not too bad. But there are many times when you can't build a fire (ie above tree-line).

I'll be carrying this stuff on Saturday - just in case.

I think this plus a couple of chemical hand warmers could get a guy through some pretty rough weather. Might not be as comfy as a 'real' camp, but I think it'd work. For their weight, the chemical handwarmers inside an insulating layer can add a lot to the temps one can withstand.

I decided to start carrying these this year. Most of the lost hunters make it though the night but wind up with pretty bad frost bite on their toes. The legendary Joe Gutkoski just packed a tarp in the old days. The rest of us are just pretenders :D

That is is sweet article on Joe Gutkowski RobG - thanks for posting that.

We live in a pretty cushy existence as elk hunter's now-a-days.

I tell you the few times I've tried to sleep out my biggest problem was the ground sucking the warmth out from me. Even a small chunk of cheapy foam pad would help a bunch.

I recently started carrying a surplus poncho. Very easy to make a wind break with a little paracord. Put a fire at the entrance I would be golden.

I usually carry one or two fire starters: Take the bottom of an egg carton, fill each hole with a little bit of dryer lint. Put a spoon full of vaseline and push it into the lint to get mixed up. Crush up some trioxane and sprinkle it over every one. Melt wax and cover each ball, the wax will be absorbed into the egg carton. The wax water proofs the mix. Cut the egg carton into 12, 18, or however many you made parts and the cardboard burns well too. To light it, simply crush the ball and put it under your tinder, 15 minute burn time. No exageration, great for cold wet seasons like the one I have had this year.

I decided to start carrying these this year. Most of the lost hunters make it though the night but wind up with pretty bad frost bite on their toes. The legendary Joe Gutkoski just packed a tarp in the old days. The rest of us are just pretenders :D

Fin mentioned this guy at the BHA thing in Bozeman, and it made me want to hear more about him. I know Lawnboy and several others who have seen his carvings throughout the Lee Metcalf. Man, I can't imagine some of the things he's seen. Wish I was tough enough to sleep like that.

Some good recommendations, keep them coming.

Fire is usually not an option, as there is nothing to burn, or what is available doesn't burn well.

Any thoughts on puffy pants?

Any thoughts on puffy pants?

I haven't used any yet, but I'm working on getting a good set of down jacket and pants. Sometimes sitting up on a ridge glassing late season I don't last very long until I'm up bouncing around to warm up. I think a down set to slip on would go a long ways, and it'd definitely be handy for one night survivals like your talking about. I also plan on using them at night so I can use my 30 degree bag a little longer before switching to the 0 degree.

That's one of the few items that I think might be worth the money from Kuiu is their down jacket and pants.

Sol makes some sweet onetime or multi use bivy sacks, and they don't weigh much. I have started packing one, plus a small light weight tarp...had a few nights on the hill sheep hunting, said never again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back