Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Quilt Gang - Pad Ratings

WBouldin

New to the quilt gang. Went with a EE Revalation in 20 degree. I have a Nemo Tensor pad that has an R value of 4.5. I’ve read everything from you need a 7 minimum to make it work to quilt makers base their rating on using a R Value 4 pad.

If the latter, should be totally fine as I don’t plan on using this in temps much under 30. But what are others experience? Should I bump up to a warmer pad to be safe? Other option is to get a fleece liner that adds a few degrees of warm.

I use a thermarest neoair xlite. I’ve been down to -13 with my quilt and was just fine. The pad is perfect for year round use.

It sounds like you're thinking about this in kind of an odd way. Your pad insulation isn't going to make your quilt any warmer and vise versa. The quilt is insulating you from the air above and the pad is insulating you from the ground below. As your nights get colder, you'll need to bolster both the upper and lower insulators.

If your not planning on being below 20-30*, a midrange pad around that 4-4.5R should pair nicely with your existing quilt.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back