Caribou Gear

Unlimited Hunt- Update

Yes, a couple of your co-workers would have helped.

They might have been more of a distraction for you then an asset...

Do you think there were sheep in that area you hunted? Did you find beds, trails and sign indicating they were there but perhaps you just never located them? To me it looks pretty good mixed habitat for them, but i understand the complexities of early season alpine hunting with low animal numbers and high temperatures that can put animals into shade and heavy cover pretty quick reducing opportunities for visual encounters. What about the moon, i guess with a decent moon those sheep would have to feed a lot in the cool night air, studies have shown tahr in nz move a lot on the nights when the moon is large enough to allow visibility and safe grazing.

I could imagine it would be very easy to glass a high timbered basin or rocky outcropping, not see anything, then in the last 5 minutes of day have an animal ease out of cover onto grass. And even more so it is pretty tough glassing from lower down in valley floors up onto much higher elevations above, there is always a percentage of dead ground you just can't see into unless you are on the opposite ridge and level or preferably above where you are glassing.

Dustin,

That is some steep and dangerous country you picked! I was in the same areas as you in 1981, hiking and fishing. Two boys from a church group were caught in a rockslide at Rainbow Lake, and one of the boys died. Going solo in that country is not the best idea. Welcome to MT unlimited sheep hunting!

Part of the allure of what we do, is it's ability to humble a guy.

Great scenery and memories I'm sure.

They might have been more of a distraction for you then an asset...

Do you think there were sheep in that area you hunted? Did you find beds, trails and sign indicating they were there but perhaps you just never located them? To me it looks pretty good mixed habitat for them, but i understand the complexities of early season alpine hunting with low animal numbers and high temperatures that can put animals into shade and heavy cover pretty quick reducing opportunities for visual encounters. What about the moon, i guess with a decent moon those sheep would have to feed a lot in the cool night air, studies have shown tahr in nz move a lot on the nights when the moon is large enough to allow visibility and safe grazing.

I could imagine it would be very easy to glass a high timbered basin or rocky outcropping, not see anything, then in the last 5 minutes of day have an animal ease out of cover onto grass. And even more so it is pretty tough glassing from lower down in valley floors up onto much higher elevations above, there is always a percentage of dead ground you just can't see into unless you are on the opposite ridge and level or preferably above where you are glassing.

No sign of sheep in the area. Couldn't find a track.

I'm sure they move into the area.

That is some wild untamed brutal and awe-inspiring country! Best of luck in a possible return but remember no sheep is worth, well you know...

you did the right thing, and i am green with envy that you had boots on that ground. I hope you can make it work out in the end.

Thanks for sharing. A friend and I have been thinking about trying to plan an Unlimited Hunt in 2015.

I'm gathering a few things after reading your post and some stories about these Units.

1. Don't go solo. (Looks like you're making the best of it though.)
2. Harden up, BIG TIME.
3. Bring a large hand-gun.
4. Don't expect to see rams.

Must be the young and dumb side of me talking here, but I think I could go years without seeing a legal ram and still have the hunt be worth it. You've got a sheep tag, in sheep country..... that's the start.

BHR, I'd be interested in any help/info you would be willing to share. I'm sure you've got a way more detailed game plan than me and I have no desire to intrude, but any general tidbits or pieces of advice would be greatly appreciated.

How many folks do you plan on going in with? It seems that 3 is about the right number for such a hunt?

An elusive beastie for sure... :D

129_zps37ade552.jpg

133_zps7bbccb8d.jpg

135_zps30c21370.jpg

Is petting considered wildlife harassment?

Thanks for sharing. A friend and I have been thinking about trying to plan an Unlimited Hunt in 2015.

I'm gathering a few things after reading your post and some stories about these Units.

1. Don't go solo. (Looks like you're making the best of it though.)
2. Harden up, BIG TIME.
3. Bring a large hand-gun.
4. Don't expect to see rams.

Must be the young and dumb side of me talking here, but I think I could go years without seeing a legal ram and still have the hunt be worth it. You've got a sheep tag, in sheep country..... that's the start.

To be honest, I think carrying a handgun wasn't necessary. After spending a couple weeks in grizzly/brown bear country, having a rifle along is more than enough.

I think the key is having enough patience to wait until mid-October, hoping for a weather window.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back