Caribou Gear

Unlimited Hunt- Update

dustinf

Well Men, prepare for disappointment. Obviously, I'm sitting in front of a computer and not up on the mountain for the opener.

In 4 days of scouting it became painfully obvious, it's just physically impossible for a lone person to get a sheep out of those mountains.

I came off the mountain Friday to regroup, and thought of finding a packer in the Red Lodge area that could assist if I did kill. I eventually decided it wasn't a financial possibility for me this year.

I also explored the maps and information from the biologist, and the only feasible way for me to hunt/pack out a sheep in the unit was to glass the rock slides along the Beartooth Highway. Basically, sit in my truck and glass the mountain hoping to catch a ram crossing into Montana from Wyoming. This really isn't how I hunt, or how I wanted to spend the week.

After some brief discussion with my Wife, I decided to leave Montana Friday evening, saving a week for a possible return later in the season.

Here's my pictures and a brief summary of my 4 days on the mountain.

Tuesday morning just on the trail. I covered 9 miles to my camp for the night, and then spent the evening bushwhacking, exploring a possible route to the area I thought may hold sheep. Couldn't find a safe way up.
JB0A3204.jpg

My first night camp spot, and by far my favorite.
JB0A3228.jpg

Wednesday I climbed up further, to explore another possible route. Luckily, I crossed paths with a fisherman who had just fished the lake I hoped to hunt near. He explained the route up, and warned of the near vertical last 25 ft. That required hauling his pack up with a rope.

A view from the climb.
JB0A3247.jpg

With detailed info of the route from the fisherman, I decided to hang my camp and just carry up a days worth of supplies to the lake I hoped to hunt. Well that was a wise decision, even with the light load it took me almost 3 hours to travel the 2 miles up to the area. At this point, I'm 14 miles and 3400 vertical feet from my truck. Reality started to sink in.

I spent Wednesday and Thursday morning exploring the area. There was no sign of the sheep yet, and according to some locals I talked with Friday the sheep are still in Wyoming.

Last edited:
No doubt frustrating to travel so far and find out what you did. What you encountered is the reason that Montana can have unlimited sheep tags in these few areas. Hope you enjoyed your travel.

Crap... I expect you would have been miserable yesterday anyway as it was raining. However fall has moved in so they might be moving soon.

Crap... I expect you would have been miserable yesterday anyway as it was raining. However fall has moved in so they might be moving soon.

I'm sure they'll be there soon.

On my way down, there was an outfitter heading up with 5 horses and 2 hunters. No doubt, he was heading there for a reason.

No doubt frustrating to travel so far and find out what you did. What you encountered is the reason that Montana can have unlimited sheep tags in these few areas. Hope you enjoyed your travel.

It was an awesome trip, just wish I had 3 Sherpas(or a couple llama's) with me.

Yep, those mountains are steep, rugged and not for the faint of heart . That is why I love them.

Amazing photos - tough run on the sheep. Rooting for your spare week go at it. Man, you covered some tough ground! Beautiful area!

Thanks for the pics!

Awesome area to hunt! But it looks like you will need to make
all the right decisions along the way.
No luck this time, but you will be a better man/hunter for giving it a
go and at least you are thinking of getting back in there if the season
stays open.
Be the sort of place a good keen hunting partner would come in handy
to keep the moral, momentum and attitude positive.
All hunts are a success and I'd say you should be proud of what you achieved.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I wish it had a better ending, but it looks like you had a good time anyway.

Unless you are dedicated to that unit, some of the other unlimited units are a little bit more doable for a solo hunter.

Awesome area to hunt! But it looks like you will need to make
all the right decisions along the way.
No luck this time, but you will be a better man/hunter for giving it a
go and at least you are thinking of getting back in there if the season
stays open.
Be the sort of place a good keen hunting partner would come in handy
to keep the moral, momentum and attitude positive.
All hunts are a success and I'd say you should be proud of what you achieved.

Yes, a couple of your co-workers would have helped.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I wish it had a better ending, but it looks like you had a good time anyway.

Unless you are dedicated to that unit, some of the other unlimited units are a little bit more doable for a solo hunter.

I think the unit is productive, but the pack out requires 3-4 people to make the 48 hour deadline.

Thanks for sharing the pics and story. Part of hunting is the experience. Those that are only in it for the meat shop at the store. Looks like you had a great hunt in spite of not finding the sheep.

Nice pics, good luck later in the season if you are able to get back out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back