Caribou Gear

Unit 17 New Mexico

Wapitiseeker

I just recieved an email from New Mexico Game and Fish congradulating me on drawing a unit 17 muzzeloader Bull Elk tag for Oct.13-17 It only took 16 years of applying! Can any one give me any helpful tips. I'll be going out 5 days befor the hunt, I'm a member of the Huntin Fool and according to Garth Carter unit 17 holds some of the biggest bulls in N.M.

Will be in Unit 17 for deer

Wapitiseeker,
Congrats on the tag. I didn't draw an elk tag this year. :( I did draw a deer tag for Unit 17 the first of Nov. Haven't seen much about deer, but hearing good things about elk down there. Please pass along any info you find on the Unit and I will do the same. Good hunting!

Unit 17 is a nice unit..The Oct.hunt should be good.. If you have a cow call use it,just dont over do it.. Good luck everyone shoot strait!

If you are a "Huntin Fool" member they will give you a list of people who have drawn that unit previously. I'm sure those people would have lots of info.

good luck to all
the dog

:hump:
I just recieved an email from New Mexico Game and Fish congradulating me on drawing a unit 17 muzzeloader Bull Elk tag for Oct.13-17 It only took 16 years of applying! Can any one give me any helpful tips. I'll be going out 5 days befor the hunt, I'm a member of the Huntin Fool and according to Garth Carter unit 17 holds some of the biggest bulls in N.M.

Last edited:
Feel free to PM me for some info on 17. Lucky for you and me the region got some good rain this weekend. Keep praying for rain and we could have an incredible year.

The best thing you will do for your hunt is spend 5 days before the season in the unit. These elk can and will move significant distances. Locate them and stay with them before your hunt and you will likely be into some good bulls. Congrats on drawing a GREAT tag.
-Cody

I too am looking for info on unit 17 for elk muzzleloader. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with the deer. I hunted elk in unit 17 for five years when I lived in New Mexico. It was 100 percent draw at that time for bow or mz. I'll bet that I did not see 20 deer in the entire time. We hunted the north end of the unit and we did see a couple that were real big, but they were a needle in a haystack. It took me five years to kill a bull elk, too.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back