Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First Western Big Game Hunt where I am applying for tag/tags. Pronghorn and possibly mule deer.

Well mate, like your name says, you seem like a good guy

I think you’re overthinking it

If you’ve ever driven roads around a farm trying to shoot coyotes…antelope hunting is a lot like that but easier in my limited experience. Tough critter with a bow, super high success rates with a rifle in most western states

Find a turnback tag via CO this year or else next year just make it happen. Decide if you want to do it solo…you’ll lose more years than not waiting for people to join you

Also, good advice to spend your money on tags, not gear

Good luck

Reading this made my head hurt.

Priorities and planning. Not everything can be a priority, and if it’s not don’t waste time trying to plan it.
Sorry if my indecisive 🤷‍♂️ rambling made your head hurt. Everyone has to start somewhere. Even though I went to Idaho in 19, I was just a tag a long for the experience. I have never planned a hunt that far away from home. But I bet once I go through the whole process once and actually go, I will be much more comfortable and confident the next time, etc…

Don't let Analysis paralysis burn up your hunting slush fund. Use your gohunt and pick some hunts you can draw.

Use an online program to collect money throughout the year leading up to the hunt to make your group have $kin in the game. Cheddarup is an example. It breaks it down in to manageable chunks....If they have money saved up then they WILL want to go.
Yes I definitely suffer from over analysis paralysis. I have read lots of articles and watched tons of videos especially Randy’s.

That’s a good idea I will have to check it out. Within a year if I save $25 a week after 52 weeks that’s $1300 for a tag 🏷 buying budget. I will have to figure out travel cost and budget that in as well. So around $2000 or so should do it.

OP, I have read all your posts on this thread. ALL of the many barriers you list exist in your MIND. All of them…every last one. As long as you look around you and see why you CAN’T or SHOULDN’T or DIDN’T you will find endless good reasons. If you read my first posts on here they are full of can’ts that other members graciously poked holes through.

We have all been there before. There are real barriers to entry. One of the best decisions I ever made in my life was in 2018 when I got sick and tired of just listening to all the “cant’s” of big game hunting out west. I had more excuses than you have listed here, a good couple dozen at least. But I drew a line in the sand and said “No more.” From now on am just gonna do it. I want it bad enough and I am going to MAKE a way.

I could not believe how thin my excuses turned out to be. It’s a big hump to get over at first, but once you crawl over that hump there is nothing to stop you but you.

My first solo western big game hunt in 2020 I had unexpected cardiac problems spring up out of nowhere. I was faint, dizzy, drained of energy, blacking out, and literally falling on my face. Not to mention I felt like complete garbage and I was terrified - 36 y.o. and used to run half marathons, and now my heart isn’t working right.

Just a few years ago…
1656157339718.jpeg

Opening day of my antelope tag I was in the ER for hours. But I had come so far, this was NOT stopping me! Delayed trip, completely revamped how I would hunt, trying to reassure my wife and kids that I’d be safe and come home alive to them.

I dropped off my heart monitor at the hospital in Des Moines at 5:30 AM and killed a pronghorn fawn in WY at 7 PM. Got my buck 5 days later.
1656156765558.jpeg

OP, I have read all your posts on this thread. ALL of the many barriers you list exist in your MIND. All of them…every last one. As long as you look around you and see why you CAN’T or SHOULDN’T or DIDN’T you will find endless good reasons. If you read my first posts on here they are full of can’ts that other members graciously poked holes through.

We have all been there before. There are real barriers to entry. One of the best decisions I ever made in my life was in 2018 when I got sick and tired of just listening to all the “cant’s” of big game hunting out west. I had more excuses than you have listed here, a good couple dozen at least. But I drew a line in the sand and said “No more.” From now on am just gonna do it. I want it bad enough and I am going to MAKE a way.

I could not believe how thin my excuses turned out to be. It’s a big hump to get over at first, but once you crawl over that hump there is nothing to stop you but you.

My first solo western big game hunt in 2020 I had unexpected cardiac problems spring up out of nowhere. I was faint, dizzy, drained of energy, blacking out, and literally falling on my face. Not to mention I felt like complete garbage and I was terrified - 36 y.o. and used to run half marathons, and now my heart isn’t working right.

Just a few years ago…
View attachment 227490

Opening day of my antelope tag I was in the ER for hours. But I had come so far, this was NOT stopping me! Delayed trip, completely revamped how I would hunt, trying to reassure my wife and kids that I’d be safe and come home alive to them.

I dropped off my heart monitor at the hospital in Des Moines at 5:30 AM and killed a pronghorn fawn in WY at 7 PM. Got my buck 5 days later.
View attachment 227489
Such an awesome and inspirational story. Thank you for sharing this with me. Congratulations on your two pronghorn after being in the ER (I just got out of the ER a couple days ago myself).
I can’t stand having these excuses, I know that most are lame and on me for lack of planning accordingly. I shouldn’t rely on others to go and just plan on going solo, but if others can come all the better. I have spent too many years waiting on others and for the stars to magically align to go do what I have wanted to do for a long time.
I do like the safety and comradery of going with others and making memories with family and friends, but I can’t just keep waiting or I won’t get to go and do anything.

I actually wanted to go out west, have an adventure and journal 📓 that adventure and turn it into a First Western Big Game Hunt article for Eastman’s, Western Hunting Magazine or even a local eastern magazine to inspire others to know that they can do it too.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back