Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico 16C Archery

Mikenxn

My dad got lucky and drew a New Mexico 16C first archery elk tag. First time hunting the Gila after applying for many years. Any information on the unit will be helpful. He is the hunter that wants to enjoy the experience of having a bugling elk within bow range. Could not be more happy for him!! The unit looks thick from my little knowledge, are optics needed in this unit? Are bulls responsive to bugles or cow calls? Any information that you guys maybe willing to share is much appreciated.

Have not hunted that unit, but hunted the area a good while back. The problem you might encounter is that the rut isn’t wide open yet. They might bugle a little early in the day, then shut up. I would try to find waterholes when the bulls are quiet.

My dad got lucky and drew a New Mexico 16C first archery elk tag. First time hunting the Gila after applying for many years. Any information on the unit will be helpful. He is the hunter that wants to enjoy the experience of having a bugling elk within bow range. Could not be more happy for him!! The unit looks thick from my little knowledge, are optics needed in this unit? Are bulls responsive to bugles or cow calls? Any information that you guys maybe willing to share is much appreciated.
Your best chances of calling a bull in are going to be during the second week of the hunt. They will pry be doing some bugling and all during the first week but it's mainly going to just be during early morning and late evening unless it ends up being a cooler year than last year when I hunted that area. But you should see elk and lots of them if you get out and walk.

You drew my tag! lol I hunted there during second rifle in 2017. Find water and you will find the elk.

Hopefully its not too hot down there. Terrain is fairly easy to get around. Hardly any private land. Just gotta get out and put the miles in. Great unit. My first time there I had a cow tag during december in 16C. Driving in I saw the biggest bull I've ever seen right after you cross the continental divide. Coming from winston. My favorite area for elk now. Drew the 2nd rifle hunt for Mb there this year. Good luck.

Good job on getting a tag ! We haven’t had good luck on getting drawn in New Mexico anymore... we hunted 16c archery first season the last time we were in New Mexico.
I snuck up on a very big bull, and tried to shoot him in his bed, a bad idea, i hit him in the shoulder bone and didn’t get any penetration, never found him.
Calling didn’t work for me, I tried cow calling at one bull, he got out of there.
there were a fair amount of elk in the unit, but it was still tough. Good luck!

Hey! I drew the New Mexico 16C second archery elk tag this year. Pretty excited! Last year I drew a NM 5B first archery elk tag. My brother-in-law came down from WA and helped me. We talked to several other hunters that weren't seeing anything but they were driving and staying on the top of the ridge. My brother-in-law and I spent all of our time hiking, glassing, calling and working water. Man did we have fun! We had encounters every day! Had a nice bull come straight at me, stop, bugle, lick his lips, spin on his hind legs and bolt back down the hill. Coolest thing I've ever seen. Funny thing is, my brother-in-law was about 15 yards behind me, beating the crap out of the brush and the bull came in so fast, I was still crouched under a tree limb when he showed up and couldn't get into shooting position! Anyway, I ended up taking a cow on the last day. Only had to pack her out a mile, in the rain. Didn't think I'd draw two years in a row. Can't wait to hunt the Gila. My brother-in-law is already planning his flight. Best of luck to your dad.

I hunted 16C last year during the second season. Be glad to share any information with you (Mikenxn/Harpster)! Just shoot me a pm. Congratulations

Kind of an old thread I guess, but maybe someone who hunted 16c before will see this and chime in. I drew a 1st archery season tag for 16c this year. Quickly running out of time to scout and have been watching the Black fire, wondering what will do to the hunt. It seems the south/west area is still open and likely where i'll be at. I welcome advice!

I doubt anyone is going to be racing back to chime in. The guy who started the thread hasn’t been back in 2 years and the guy who said he shot a cow has also been awol for 2 years. Maybe you will be in the minority though and someone will help.

Hopefully you have a successful hunt and can’t report back. I’d love to draw that tag someday.

thanks for the input!
I also drew 1st archery. I'll be down there with only one other guy (no tag for him). Much like yourself I'll be in the SW part of the unit. Shoot me a msg, maybe we can get together.

Kind of an old thread I guess, but maybe someone who hunted 16c before will see this and chime in. I drew a 1st archery season tag for 16c this year. Quickly running out of time to scout and have been watching the Black fire, wondering what will do to the hunt. It seems the south/west area is still open and likely where i'll be at. I welcome advice!
Send me a PM. I can give you some data of the area.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back