Unexpected Gift....

Horn Seeker

I was trying to mule deer hunt this weekend, passed up a few small bucks Saturday and busted ass most the day...didn't get back to the truck till about 1 1/2 hours after dark... Sunday I was not excited about getting up, but did anyways and was about 40 minutes up the hill by shooting light (when I say UP the hill...I mean it.... :hump:)

Anyhow, was seeing good deer sign, but no deer... Then I spotted 16 cows and a couple spikes about 500 yards across a canyon. I decided to back around a ridge and pop over in a different spot a little closer and with a different angle to see if there were any bulls with them. I walked about 40 yards through the timber and this guy posed for me...
Menoorangehat-1.jpg

I'm happy guy...now I can concentrate on a good buck!

I just weighed everything that came off the mountain... rears were 63#, fronts 41...bag-o-meat 63 inside my pack total was 76#, head/rack was 25...

I had a buddy help, we took one trip. I carried the 76# pack and drug the 63# rear quarter, carried my 25# head and my rifle off this hill... I have to say it was not one bit enjoyable....

Ahhhh....Yeah it was!!! :0)

Quartersandrack.jpg

Cool photo. Were those weights with the bone in?

Congrats on a great bull for where you were hunting! Tough to find 6 pointers there.

Heck of a nice bull for the area!! I've yet to get one that big on that range. Now we need a deer to catch to your interest.

Nice looking bull and a loser in a battle or two by the looks of things. If you were hunting anywhere close to the border country it is way steep.

Huh, thought I posted this earlier, but yeah Bart...find me a good one and I'll be All over him!!!

GH, those were bone in with forelegs and all... I finished getting him boned out and cleaned up real good a while ago and I came up with 198# of clean meat... Once I add about 20# of beef for burger and some piggy for my sausage...I guess I"ll be in the 230+ pound range for my freezer....

Yay

OH...and we had a sled... it sucked... It was actually easier to drag the quarters without the sled....

You still in Lolo? If so we've likely been running the same country. The snow is definitely a good change of pace.
I've been having great luck on finding good deer but elk are few are far between.

Congrats on a good one!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back