Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ultimate Deer Rifle

As I'm not so patiently waiting for the AZ elk and antelope draw results, my mind wanders towards guns, specifically mule deer guns, what would be your ultimate rifle, scope, and caliber combinations for the following mule deer habitats:

Rolling Sage Brush (Nevada, southern Idaho, Wyoming)

Canyon Country / Desert (Southern Utah, Southwestern Colorado)

Alpine (Colorado Western Slope)
This is mine. I’ve worked long and hard for her. She is light and superbly accurate. It is a custom Tikka T3x Veil Wideland in 6.5 cm topped with Sako’s premium rings and a Vortex Viper 4 to 16. A few of the custom bits are Mountain Tactical, bolt handle, bottom metal, and billet clip.0D230D3C-58AC-4EED-BF3C-91901359B859.jpeg7CE41CC7-EFB7-466D-A272-BE816557E9AA.jpeg

257 Weatherby IS the ultimate deer rifle.
Everything else is just trying to keep up.
But man, you add 7 thousands of an inch, it’s one of the worst calibers ever 🤣🤣!

.257 + .007 = .264 = 6.5 mm = HT’s Achilles heel!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about this long and hard. My first choice would be my Rem 700 270, or Win Model 70 featherweight 308 but no . It had to be Rem mountain ss 280Rem with Talley rings and lightweight Leupold 2x7. Shots like a dream with very little recoil,140 gr Barnes ttsx 3000 FPS , perfection at a reasonable price.

If I had to pick a rifle for just deer hunting and it meant short and long shots. I'd pick a .270. I'm old school and would choose a Win 70 for a rifle and of course a Leupold scope.

Then if you decide to hunt for elk too. The .270 would be fine with a good bullet.

Last edited:
Rem 700 SS
7mm Rem Mag
160 Grain Accubond hand loads
Leupold VX 3 4.5-14 x 40 mm CDS
You never know when you will need a heavier bullet to buck the wind. Not that I know from experience or anything.:LOL:

Attachments

• remington.jpg
    remington.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 9
.270 Win. bolt gun of your choice. Shooting 130-140 grain Accubonds or Partitions. Will handily kill deer further than must of us should be shooting at game anyways.

As I'm not so patiently waiting for the AZ elk and antelope draw results, my mind wanders towards guns, specifically mule deer guns, what would be your ultimate rifle, scope, and caliber combinations for the following mule deer habitats:

Rolling Sage Brush (Nevada, southern Idaho, Wyoming)

Canyon Country / Desert (Southern Utah, Southwestern Colorado)

Alpine (Colorado Western Slope)
Signature McMillan 300 win mag, built by Gail himself. 24 inch tube, Zeiss 3x9 talley rings and mounts. 150 grain nosler partitions. Bug holes at 200 yards.

I’m pretty sure I have the caliber figured out…. 5mm out of my Mathews ha ha….

In all seriousness I have 2, 6.5x.284’s and there accurate and hard hitting with 140’s, my wife has one and kids have one. Great rifles, only downside is you have to reload or purchase custom ammo.
Matt

Lots of love for McMillan stocks here. Are they the best or are other manufacturers equal (Manners, Allterra, Mesa Precision, etc?)
Manners is equal or better, but finding a used one in my price range has not happened yet. Occasionally I can get my hands on a McMillan in my price range, and yes they are better than a B&C or HS.

Last edited:
Ultimate mule deer rifle? 9.5lbs. Detachable mag. Any cartridge that will push a 6.5mm 140gr bullet at 3000fps+. Scope with a max power of 16X or more and a minimum power of 6X or less.

Good mule deer rifle? Anything from 6.5-13.5lbs that will push a .243”-.308” bullet with an SD of .250 or higher at 2500fps or more.

What stock brand? Manners or McMillan in a hunting profile. What optic? Anything European or Leupold. Barrel? Something stainless…custom is better. Trigger? Most aftermarket triggers are better than almost all factory triggers, but I am partial to Jewel.

Last edited:
For me, I think I'd go with a Browning X-bolt in either a 270 Win or 270WSM, topped with a Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44.

Back