Ultimate Deer Rifle

If deer only there are so many choices that will do the job. Anything from .223Rem to 458 Lott I suppose. But (dare I say . . . dare, dare) a 6.5manbun will give you all the range you need, fire sufficient bullets for the task, be easy to find ammo (if we ever return to normal on this front), and give really light recoil in your really light rifle - and less recoil always means more accuracy. And even you are a top shot with a 416 Rigby, you will shoot better with a 30-06.
The .270 Win will do the same thing as the 6.5 manbun. I would also say the .270 shoots flatter than the Manbun and ammo can be found even in the most remote of places for the .270. ;)

If you cannot tell, I am a huge .270 Win fan! :)

Will confess to surfing the Weatherby site and getting snagged on the Weathermark page....snazzy configurations & semi compelled to ponder the inefficiency of a 7 wby mag powder hog.

...or a Mickey Edge for the 700 .257...the process never ends

The .270 Win will do the same thing as the 6.5 manbun. I would also say the .270 shoots flatter than the Manbun and ammo can be found even in the most remote of places for the .270. ;)

If you cannot tell, I am a huge .270 Win fan! :)
I love my .270. I have never used a 6.5cm for anything other than target shooting, but am building 6lb in 6.5 - less powder, less flash, less recoil, better available bullets, should be fun. But for now, my 25-06 is my favorite.

Call me simple- but my Tikka T3 Super-Lite in Stainless is a joy to carry and plenty accurate for any shot presented by any of the three scenarios. Sure I could dream a bit, but having not shot anything coming off the "top shelf" at the local gun store, I'll stick to the 6lb, weather resistant Tikka. For caliber, I love my 7mm Rem Mag shooting 168gr Bergers, but could be convinced to go to a 7mm-08 shooting 140gr Accubonds. The Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16 on top of it is fine, but maybe I'd opt to spend my dream money on something a little different, like the Razor HD Gen II in 3-18x50. I like the Nightforce ATACR 5-25 on my work rifle, too, but I don't need that much magnification to shoot a deer.

Honesty with oneself does wonders for self esteem. Many men want to brag about dropping game at some absurd distance, but lack the competence to do so. Even then, who wants to deal with a 15lb rig costing thousands of dollars in the woods? No man, get yourself a 270 win with any Leupold scope. Wood/blue if you care to maintain or synthetic/cerakote if you want to be more negligent. Whatever shoots well in 130gr.

As I'm not so patiently waiting for the AZ elk and antelope draw results, my mind wanders towards guns, specifically mule deer guns, what would be your ultimate rifle, scope, and caliber combinations for the following mule deer habitats:

Rolling Sage Brush (Nevada, southern Idaho, Wyoming)

Canyon Country / Desert (Southern Utah, Southwestern Colorado)

Alpine (Colorado Western Slope)
I have always toted a 7mm-08. Mine is a Savage that I swapped out the barrel with a Shilen barrel and Boyd stock. Now i want to update my glass. But for mule deer its a highly effective round.

I prefer to hike several miles from where I park my truck and for this reason a short carbine is often my first choice. This Remington 660 chambered for .308 has served quite well for very long shots out upon the open prairie as well as hunting forests and foothills. The barrel channel has been glass bedded and trigger lightened a bit. The attached photo shows my brother and a dandy buck he downed at slightly over 300 yards. The other photo shows a big forky I toppled.

TR

John's antelope.JPG

big muley .308.JPG

I'm going to have to go with the 7mm/08 vote. Personal choice would be a Ruger topped w/a 3-9-40 Leupold and 140 Noslers. Red tip/White tip take your pick. Hmmm, come to think of it, that just happens to be what I shoot.

2nd choice.... same rig in a 270 w/130's.

It's harder to find & hit a deer properly than it is to kill one when you do. Ya don't need a cannon.

My 270 WSM. Leupold VX3i. 4-14x50
I LOVE my Tikka T3 lite in .270 WSM. Caught a lot of grief from my FIL over it as he is a "30 caliber guy" who totes a very heavy 30-06. He still calls it a "pop gun" with "crap bullets" even when he watches 3 vertebrae disappear from a whitetails neck at 100 yards when I shot it as it was facing me. Have shot lope, whitetail and mule deer with it and it will probably be the last rifle I buy.

I LOVE my Tikka T3 lite in .270 WSM. Caught a lot of grief from my FIL over it as he is a "30 caliber guy" who totes a very heavy 30-06. He still calls it a "pop gun" with "crap bullets" even when he watches 3 vertebrae disappear from a whitetails neck at 100 yards when I shot it as it was facing me. Have shot lope, whitetail and mule deer with it and it will probably be the last rifle I buy.
I have been dressing mine up with hydro dipping stocks.

Attachments

• IMG_3949.jpg
    IMG_3949.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 16
I use a Tikka Veil Wideland in .308 for the alpine in SE AK. Has a Leupold 2.5x8 with the Boone & Crockett reticle.

I love my Mauser in 257 Roberts with a Boyd's stock and a 4x12x40 Vortex loaded with 110gr Accubonds. It'll drop any deer within a reasonable range.
I used a Sako Forester in .243 for years and years. . . and always hankered for a .257 Roberts.

Lots of love for McMillan stocks here. Are they the best or are other manufacturers equal (Manners, Allterra, Mesa Precision, etc?)
They're decent. I'm not sure about better. In my opinion, they've gone past the ROI for what they cost now.

i have lots of rifles but if it come down to one i would go the 300 wsm,im really enjoing the journey with mine,,from wallabies to tahr to whatever,,i like the vixen scopes re money for value

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back