Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ultimate Deer Rifle

Sjackson

As I'm not so patiently waiting for the AZ elk and antelope draw results, my mind wanders towards guns, specifically mule deer guns, what would be your ultimate rifle, scope, and caliber combinations for the following mule deer habitats:

Rolling Sage Brush (Nevada, southern Idaho, Wyoming)

Canyon Country / Desert (Southern Utah, Southwestern Colorado)

Alpine (Colorado Western Slope)

Oh man. Only deer?

I have found myself hunting steeper canyon country in Wyoming, Colorado, and Oregon for deer. So, I'm thinking the Hells Canyon Armory Mountain Killer Rifle (6.5 lbs bare rifle with carbon barrel, Ibex stock, trigger tech, etc.) chambered in 6.5 PRC...or maybe 28 Nosler.

Toss a Maven RS.1 on top with a Spartan Precision attachment for tripods and bipods... yeah. I think that'd be the move!

Great rifle for out to like 500-600 yards without being an absolute log to carry around on your pack.

Lots of love for McMillan stocks here. Are they the best or are other manufacturers equal (Manners, Allterra, Mesa Precision, etc?)

Lots of love for McMillan stocks here. Are they the best or are other manufacturers equal (Manners, Allterra, Mesa Precision, etc?)
I prefer Manners to McMillan but the cost and lead time on both are kinda nuts. Stocky's just released their VG2 stock which I have on order, you're talking about $500+ for just the stock and some basic BDL bottom metal. The Manners is likely going to be over a grand, for just the stock.

This would be a pretty sweet setup:
Defiance AnTi action
Proof Carbon barrel chambered in 28 Nosler(Long Action) or 6.5 PRC(Short Action)
Stockys VG2 Carbon Stock
BDL botom metal
Triggertech Trigger
Talley Mounts/Rings
Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x50
APA Lil Bastard muzzle brake
Quake Claw Sling

This would be in the 9-10 lb range loaded with ammo ready to fire in the field depending on short or long action.

My Christensen Ridgeline in 300 PRC is setup pretty similar and its 9.0 lbs with fully loaded magazine.

I've always been a fan of the .257 Weatherby for deer. I'm a big fan of 110 accubond or 120 partitions out of that caliber. Gun manufacturer is preference but should be spending at least $1500+ (also a sub moa gun) with a 26" barrel. Personally I'd top mine with either Zeiss, Leica or Swaro glass with turrets. Beauty is with the .257 is you can pretty much keep the crosshairs on fur and pull the trigger up to 400...

I've always been a fan of the .257 Weatherby for deer. I'm a big fan of 110 accubond or 120 partitions out of that caliber. Gun manufacturer is preference but should be spending at least $1500+ (also a sub moa gun) with a 26" barrel. Personally I'd top mine with either Zeiss, Leica or Swaro glass with turrets. Beauty is with the .257 is you can pretty much keep the crosshairs on fur and pull the trigger up to 400...
The .257 Wby was my first impulse til I read CO Cross Canyon and Alpine. I have the Mash/180 set up and know it's capabilities at those conditions and distances. I have no doubt the 25Bee would work also tho.

...and I've seen what you can do with yours sneaks.

I'm not a huge fan of the .270 honestly, but if I was getting a rifle solely for mule deer hunting, I think it would be hard to beat that chambering. I'm shooting a Tikka these days, so I'll go with a T3x Lite, with a nice aftermarket stock and a good bipod.

Fun thread!

I think I’d go with a 7mm-08 and have always thought a 24” barrel might make it sing a bit more. Something in a sporter profile. Though I’m married to Savages lately, I’d be really tempted with a Browning X-Bolt or a new Winchester 70. Good rigid synthetic stock and a Leupold VX3HD 4.5-14x40 would have me at ease for a long time.

I already have mine built, Remington 700 in 6.5 SAUM with a Bartlein 3B fluted barrel at 24", McMillan A3 Edge stock, Jewell trigger, and a SWFA 3-15 scope. So far its been incredibly accurate hammering a 4x6 steel plate at 720 yards with ease. Build or buy whatever makes you happy and gives you confidence in the field.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back