Ukraine / Russia

View attachment 257059
Well your son-in-law is same as me, a product of the shitass predatory college pricing and loans. We didn’t create this, was already in place by older generations. We are done paying.
I paid my student loans off in less than 4 years. It was around 9 or 10% interest in those days. It made sense to pay it off quickly. Thats what happens when you get a useful degree. You can payoff your debts and be useful to society. Best of luck to you and your friends.

Can we move the student loan discussion to a different thread or just skip it altogether? Not really wanting to get this locked after doing so well for so long.

I've been following the special operation in Ukraine pretty closely and would like to see this thread somewhat stay on topic if at all possible.

Can we move the student loan discussion to a different thread or just skip it altogether? Not really wanting to get this locked after doing so well for so long.

I've been following the special operation in Ukraine pretty closely and would like to see this thread somewhat stay on topic if at all possible.
Probably for the best.

I will if you agree Reese’s and all appendant Reese products are better than Snickers.

Based on the estimated casualties by the Defense Ministry of Ukraine (which likely are somewhat inflated), Russian KIA topped 100,000 today. Over 3,000 tanks destroyed and lots of other irreplaceable equipment due to the current sanctions in place and the way so many things are built elsewhere.

Even if that estimate is overinflated by 2X that is more than the US had in the 20 years we were in Vietnam. And we have double the population of Russia to start with. Think of the folks that were directly affected by Vietnam and how disruptive that was to our society and it is hard to fathom how big of an effect this is going to have on Russia going forward win or lose.

Have to ask, are we now sure that Putin won't go doomsday? Dunking on Vladdy with impunity was expressly prohibited before the blitzkrieg fizzed...
This is the best summary of why he won't go doomsday in my opinion.

"Defeating the Ukrainian army on the battlefield would require dozens of tactical nuclear weapons to achieve a decisive military effect – not just a single strike. In fact, the US Army planned to use 136 nuclear strikes to achieve a decisive result over a 60-mile-long front – and the frontlines between Ukraine and Russia now stretch for almost 400 miles. The risks of radiation from this many strikes, not to mention the psychological effects on Russian soldiers of witnessing destruction on such a scale, would be considerable, reducing their combat effectiveness and their already-low ability to exploit gaps in Ukrainian defensive lines. The radiation effects are not to be ignored, with immediate effects on all soldiers in the open regardless of their loyalty, as well as the spread of fallout into occupied Ukraine, and into Belarus and Russia, which would cause panic among populations already made wary by Ukraine’s strikes in Russia and occupied Crimea. Further, if the intent is to break Ukraine’s will or the West’s resolve, any such strikes would fail utterly. Breaking the 77-year taboo on nuclear use in war would only galvanise Ukraine and the West’s support for it while rallying more countries to the cause."

I paid my student loans off in less than 4 years. It was around 9 or 10% interest in those days. It made sense to pay it off quickly. Thats what happens when you get a useful degree. You can payoff your debts and be useful to society. Best of luck to you and your friends.
“useful to society”. Like our doctors from India because they could afford college, right?

when my mom gave me 5 or 10 bucks to take with me when we went to the neighborhood pool in the summer is kids, i would just buy reeses cups with it all at the snack shack.

i'd unwrap them and leave em in the sun for 5 minutes so they'd get a bit gooey too.

reeses are the undisputed king, followed closely by butterfinger. no candy should ever be frozen either. only ice cream should be frozen. frozen thin mints are an abomination. it's like cold pizza: if it was better cold they'd never serve it hot to begin with.

Based on the estimated casualties by the Defense Ministry of Ukraine (which likely are somewhat inflated), Russian KIA topped 100,000 today. Over 3,000 tanks destroyed and lots of other irreplaceable equipment due to the current sanctions in place and the way so many things are built elsewhere.

Even if that estimate is overinflated by 2X that is more than the US had in the 20 years we were in Vietnam. And we have double the population of Russia to start with. Think of the folks that were directly affected by Vietnam and how disruptive that was to our society and it is hard to fathom how big of an effect this is going to have on Russia going forward win or lose.
The amount of blood that is on Putin's hands is hard to fathom.

"Defeating the Ukrainian army on the battlefield would require dozens of tactical nuclear weapons to achieve a decisive military effect – not just a single strike. In fact, the US Army planned to use 136 nuclear strikes to achieve a decisive result over a 60-mile-long front – and the frontlines between Ukraine and Russia now stretch for almost 400 miles. The risks of radiation from this many strikes, not to mention the psychological effects on Russian soldiers of witnessing destruction on such a scale, would be considerable, reducing their combat effectiveness and their already-low ability to exploit gaps in Ukrainian defensive lines. The radiation effects are not to be ignored, with immediate effects on all soldiers in the open regardless of their loyalty, as well as the spread of fallout into occupied Ukraine, and into Belarus and Russia, which would cause panic among populations already made wary by Ukraine’s strikes in Russia and occupied Crimea. Further, if the intent is to break Ukraine’s will or the West’s resolve, any such strikes would fail utterly. Breaking the 77-year taboo on nuclear use in war would only galvanise Ukraine and the West’s support for it while rallying more countries to the cause."
What's the source and date Nathan?

I have no idea how far down the crazy road Putin is. But we do have historic records of at least one crazy dictator (Hitler), who in the end welcomed the demise of his own nation and the suffering of his own people as they had "not been good enough and true enough to realize his vision". I doubt during tactical moments like right now Putin (or some Iranian mulah at Isreal for that matter) would launch a nuclear weapon with the belief it would result in success. The real fear when tyrants fail is how much damage can/will they do on the way to their own funeral - and that is not a reasoned act so it is impossible to place odds on.

I have no idea how far down the crazy road Putin is. But we do have historic records of at least one crazy dictator (Hitler), who in the end welcomed the demise of his own nation and the suffering of his own people as they had "not been good enough and true enough to realize his vision". I doubt during tactical moments like right now Putin (or some Iranian mulah at Isreal for that matter) would launch a nuclear weapon with the belief it would result in success. The real fear when tyrants fail is how much damage can/will they do on the way to their own funeral - and that is not a reasoned act so it is impossible to place odds on.
Samuel L. Jackson could've said that in two words...

Back