Ukraine / Russia

I would like to say "I'm not paying for that either." The point @wllm is making, at least I think, is that those people you described aren't going to pay those loans no matter what. So it's more fiscally prudent to forgive them, than to keep trying to get money from them, paying people to manage that debt.
Iget what your saying but surely that'll give people incentive to work hard and finish school...

@neffa3 @BisonGuy … but again this conversation entirely irrelevant because the issue is millions of folks who went community/jco/state schools and didn’t finish and can’t pay.

It’s not civil engineers in WA it’s someone trying to get out of a minimum wage job in Georgia who failed.
My point was not geared towards debt, but towards the pothole analogy where benefit dictated give-a-shit; when really everyone is constantly benefitting from someone else's education in almost all walks of life. Hell, look at the medium we're using to debate this over.

People have been dropping out of school since before our were born with or without any incentives. Not to mention every generation has complained about the next not working hard.
How bout this if the forgiveness goes through, if you have no degree no foregiveness. Go back finish your degree and then you can bless society with your education.

So why not swallow the "I'm not paying for it because..." idea and just make the prudent choice to write it off. And maybe pass the legislation on the front end to weed those people out.

IDK man. I'm tapping out. I'm already out too far over me skis. I'm not paid to be an expert on national collegiate debt loads.

I would like to say "I'm not paying for that either." The point @wllm is making, at least I think, is that those people you described aren't going to pay those loans no matter what. So it's more fiscally prudent to forgive them, than to keep trying to get money from them, paying people to manage that debt.
That makes me feel good inside. I too need forgiveness. mtmuley

Did you actually think about that before you said it?

Ever drink water? Flush a toilet? Drive a car? Been on a road? Fly in a plane? Use electricity? You are absolutely benefiting from someone else's college degree. The idea that society doesn't benefit from everyone's improved education is absurd.
And they are compensated for it, I still don’t need to pay for their college. They can pay it back. I don’t care if it takes them 5 years or 15.

@neffa3 @BisonGuy … but again this conversation entirely irrelevant because the issue is millions of folks who went community/jco/state schools and didn’t finish and can’t pay.

It’s not civil engineers in WA it’s someone trying to get out of a minimum wage job in Georgia who failed.
Fine - waive juco and comm college loans. Or change the bankruptcy laws so only the truely broke get the advantage? Because they are buying votes, not promoting sound economic or social policy.

Fairness to a poor family who overpaid for a fly by night for profit beauty college or a local community college when there were actually no jobs in the local area in that field is not what this is really about. The behind-the-scenes push is for folks who went to 4 yr schools and either didn't graduate due to their own choices, picked an economically worthless degree or doubled down on even more worthless graduate programs. And throw in plenty of "civil engineers" who just want the break. My son-in-law is a great, hard working young man who is off to a good start, but is already to buy a boat this summer "when" his are forgiven.

There is a reason this is a broad blanket program, it is vote buying plain and simple.

Last edited:
So why not swallow the "I'm not paying for it because..." idea and just make the prudent choice to write it off. And maybe pass the legislation on the front end to weed those people out.
And that is what bankruptcy court is for. Rather than unconstitutionally write a $400 billion dollar check to benefit (in addition to the needy) millions who would be fine without it, why not just constitutionally amend the bankruptcy laws via congress? Because a lot of the voters they were buying don't want to give up their shiny brand new SUV to take advantage of the program - they don't want to have to show actual need, they just want the govt $$.

And that is what bankruptcy court is for. Rather than unconstitutionally write a $400 billion dollar check to benefit (in addition to the needy) millions who would be fine without it, why not just constitutionally amend the bankruptcy laws via congress?
Or because that can't/won't happen. The same people who point out that the gov't isn't effective at x,y,z, calling for some detailed plan with effective nuance and execution.

Though I do see the irony of in my position, compared to many of my previous policy positions, I'm not blind.

Or because that can't/won't happen. The same people who point out that the gov't isn't effective at x,y,z, calling for some detailed plan with effective nuance and execution.

Though I do see the irony of in my position, compared to many of my previous policy positions, I'm not blind.
I will never accept a president of any party acting beyond his/her legal authority under the guise that congress won't perform its role (to their liking). I have no interest in a government wielded by a string of democratically elected 4 yr dictators. If congress is broke then let's fix it by becoming engaged at the precinct-level pre-primaries. I reject picking and choosing between various unlawful presidential edicts - celebrating the ones I may like and running to court for those I don't - as an acceptable alternative to fixing what we have.

Please stop with the altruistic analogies...it's strategically timed voter influence, that's all it is/was/or will be.
I think you're confusing the timing of action with the thought behind the action.

Timing: strategically timed voter influence
Thought: A long-held goal of many progressives based on a sincere desire to do good for the nation.

I will never accept a president of any party acting beyond his/her legal authority under the guise that congress won't perform its role (to their liking). I have no interest in a government wielded by a string of democratically elected 4 yr dictators. If congress is broke then let's fix it by becoming engaged at the precinct-level pre-primaries. I reject picking and choosing between various unlawful presidential edicts - celebrating the ones I may like and running to court for those I don't - as an acceptable alternative to fixing what we have.
While i like your sentiments, I don't think they are very pragmatic. If we stick with primitive voting and political partyism, then the statis quo will remain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back