Caribou Gear

Uh Oh

I think it is a good thing that Kolbe has begun work on a Montana Mountain Lion Management Plan. Science needs to direct management.

This is a good example of semantics. They are not lying to state, "a former president of the Bitterroot Houndsmen Association and now a mountain lion advocate." But for their audience, they will immediately think - Cal used to hunt mountain lions, now he has seen the light, no longer does and is INSTEAD a mountain lion advocate. Rather than the truth that Cal has BEEN a mountain lion advocate or CONTINUES TO BE a mountain lion advocate.

They want to remove the hunter from the equation through linguistic loopholes.

I agree with elkantlers. This seemed pretty fishy to me the first time I read it and saw the pictures. I believe it was staged to gain support for the anti-trapping movement.
I agree, why is there no blood to be seen on the trap or even any loose or matted fur.

I just can't figure out any possible way that the paw could have been placed in the trap the way it is now without someone placing it in there.

The paw is in the opposite direction that it should be if the cat sprung the trap.

I just can't figure out any possible way that the paw could have been placed in the trap the way it is now without someone placing it in there.

The paw is in the opposite direction that it should be if the cat sprung the trap.

I can't understand your continual referencing of the paw being in the opposite direction, but I do think the paw was placed there and it wasn't even a trap placed out in the wild by a legal trapper. It looks to me like the toes/nails are barely touching the pan of the trap, rather than the pad being down on the pan the way the animal should have been walking. Are you saying the paw is upside down to what I think I'm seeing?

I can't understand your continual referencing of the paw being in the opposite direction, but I do think the paw was placed there and it wasn't even a trap placed out in the wild by a legal trapper. It looks to me like the toes/nails are barely touching the pan of the trap, rather than the pad being down on the pan the way the animal should have been walking. Are you saying the paw is upside down to what I think I'm seeing?

Nope. I was just looking at the picture wrong. I thought the black part sticking up out of the top of the trap was a toe pad. Looking at it again, I guess that is dried blood/tissue not a toe pad. So the foot is in the trap the right direction. My mistake.

That would have been a solid catch though, still not sure how the lion could have pulled or even chewed his foot off that close to the trap.

This doesn't surprise me one bit, that a cat hunter with an agenda would resort to this type of agenda.

I routinely attended general MTFWP meetings in Montana and the largest group of cry-babies in the crowd were always the cat hunters.

So add one more to the group of hunters that you dislike. I find it funny how you spend most of your time telling everyone lese how dumb they area and how their style of hunting sucks and then you make statements like this one from the thread about hunters coming together.
You have no idea how much I wish that hunters in the U.S. would show up for a common cause like that.
The ironic part is you make more negative statement about hunters than anti hunting groups. Then you want all hunters to come together. LOL.

You are entertaining to say the least. Thanks for the laughs.

Roadhunter,

Just curious how many MTFWP meetings you've ever attended?

Thanks for that laugh.

There was, and still is, a bunch of cry-babies within the lion hunting community. To gain my support, lion hunters had better learn to present some facts into the discussion, a bit of science and wildlife biology may be good as well. They also better learn to compromise.

Decisions on quotas were/are not being made based on science, past harvest, current harvest, or lion populations. It was/is being driven by an agenda and has resulted in a multitude of things including a severe decline in big-game numbers.

It really comes down to this: are hunters in Montana willing to sacrifice 400-500 deer/elk to produce a single trophy cat?

I'm willing to give up some deer/elk to hunt to have cats, but I'm not going to sell the ranch just to make it easier for lion hunters either. I'm done being the only one to compromise.

I realize that sticking to the real issues isn't your strong-suit, mainly because you don't have the background, knowledge, and ability to do so.

What I dislike is agenda driven game management, and those practicing same aren't going to be given any quarter by me...

I would like to see a steel cage, argue to the death, match between roadhunter and Topgun,

The flatlander 500...

Flatlander? I"m from Casper, then lived in Laramie and Cheyenne and now I have Whitetail, Mule deer, Antelope, Elk, and Big Horn Sheep within 10 miles of my house at all times. Keep em coming. I always get a laugh when people like you find yet another group of hunters to bash, toady is no different, flatlanders and houndsmen. You must be really insecure to feel the need to bash people the way you do. Would be interesting to have a psychologist take a look at your behavior to see what exactly what causes you to act the way you do while online. Clearly there is an issue.

How about we call it the Buzz version of how the world turns since watching you is basically like a soap opera with nonstop drama. You and the few people who can stand to be around you can think of groups of hunters that you don't like and bash away like you always do on here. Here are a few to get you started, people who hunt with dogs, people who use crossbows, people who use lighted nocks, people from anywhere but a mountain state or even worse, hunters from Texas, hunters who don't spend lots of time shooting at the range, most TV hunting shows, etc.. You literally spend hundreds of hours each year bashing other hunters on forums then at surprised when hunters are not united when it comes to serious issues that you care about. Literally happens over and over as you never seem to figure out why. IMO your actions are juvenile much like your other buddies such as Greenhorn. I think you will find many people who read your posts share the same opinion of you but choose not to say anything. You might think you speak for the hunting community but in reality you are nothing but an outspoken government employee who thinks you knows it all and who has major insecurities that cause you to act the way you do and have such a negative outlook on most other people who share the sport of hunting with you. You might not agree with everything they do but you will do more good in the big picture to keep those folks on your side when you need numbers to be heard in this political climate. Telling everyone they are stupid and then asking for their support does not work.

Being against one person who is responsible for this one thing but calling out all houndsmen like you did is uncalled for and a perfect example of what we don't need.

Last edited:
I would like to see a steel cage, argue to the death, match between roadhunter and Topgun,
I've got one better.

You and Buzz can come up with a speech about your views and opinions on hunting and post it on you tube and see what the comments bring. I'd pay money to watch you faces as the comments poured in. Finding out that only a few dozen people in Montana and Wyoming see things the way you do would be priceless in facial expressions.

You might be kings on this site but look at the # of people on here compared to all hunters and you will find you are simply a small group of hunters whose opinions are not shared by most other hunters. Literally a few dozen.

But don't let the reality of the situation stop you. It does have entertainment value. Like feeding fish. Kat post an article, few dozen people are outraged, e-mials sent to politicians, lots of internet opinions are given, and the politicians could care less and do what wealthy people want. Wash, rinse, repeat. Between the political drama and the hunter bashing it's become my go so site for entertainment. I still remember how fired up you were about crossbows a couple of years ago, LOL. Can't wait to visit this site when crossbows are legalized in Montana. Going to be epic. Keep up the fine work.

Last edited:
I think Buzz would agree that a large portion of "Houndsmen" are straight forward, and willing to kill a few cats to keep them balanced with the rest of our game. Maybe even a majority, because they hunt deer and elk too. They just don't show up when we need them to nutralize the minority.

The vocal minority "Houndsmen" don't want any females killed and very few Toms. The guy in the article has a history.

Flatlander? I"m from Casper, then lived in Laramie and Cheyenne and now I have Whitetail, Mule deer, Antelope, Elk, and Big Horn Sheep within 10 miles of my house at all times.

Riddle solved.

You live year a zoo.

What do I win for a prize?

Roadhunter,

Since when is stating facts "bashing"?

Tell me again how many MTFWP meetings you've attended.

I think Buzz would agree that a large portion of "Houndsmen" are straight forward, and willing to kill a few cats to keep them balanced with the rest of our game. Maybe even a majority, because they hunt deer and elk too. They just don't show up when we need them to nutralize the minority.

The vocal minority "Houndsmen" don't want any females killed and very few Toms. The guy in the article has a history.

This is pretty spot on with my observations also, for whatever that's worth.

Roadhunter,

Since when is stating facts "bashing"?

Tell me again how many MTFWP meetings you've attended.

LOL. What does attending MTFWP meeting have to do with anything? You say some of the strangest stuff. . As if you think the world revolves around Montana. I dont' have to attend a MTFWP meeting to know that most Houndsmen are good people.

As to your unnecessary bashing here is another recent example where you and your buddies got all fired up about $10 sheep apps only to find out the pricing changed last year. Priceless.
Well, we cant "exclude" anyone based on price.

We have to allow those that are on SS, disability, etc. the "right" to apply for a sheep tag.

We have to allow disabled folks to shoot crossbows during archery season.

The list goes on and on and on and on.

IMO, you either front the money for the tags or you sit on the sidelines.

You either shoot a legal bow or you hunt during rifle season.

This BS of having to accommodate the lowest common denominator in everything, hunting included, is getting out of hand.

You make more negative comments about hunters than many anti hunting groups do. That is a fact. As was mentioned in that thread I'd like to see you make those statements to a group of disabled vets.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back