U.S. says it will cut costs for clean energy projects on public lands

Europe is not the only place facing a looming energy crisis, @wllm

"While all eyes have been on Europe for how their energy crisis will play out, the reality is many American consumers face similar reliability issues here at home, particularly in New England,” Andryszak said, but noted that there’s one significant difference between New England and Europe.

“The U.S. is the No. 1 gas producer in the world, and New England is a stone’s throw away from the most prolific natural gas resource basin in the country — the Marcellus and Utica shale formations in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia,” Andryszak wrote."

I hope we figure this out because the woke youth are totally cereal.

Looks like Europe is finally starting to figure out how to deal with the woke youth there.

When you look at the demand on the transmission grid that’s projected, then consider the mW of fossil fuels being taken off line in the next decade, there’s some real concern to be had.

Sure there’s all these renewable projects in the pipeline, but when I see a data center being built with a 450 mw load, I realize that those 1200 acre, 250 mW solar projects are just a step forward that offsets on of the three steps being taken backwards.

The SW needs some serious generation added in the next decade or two just to replace what’s going away, and that doesn’t even look at the enormous load growth that is coming.

Good article. Good to hear Wyoming holds some independent promise for America. Then again, seems we could break free of...

"Mining is only the first step for rare earths. They still have to be processed and separated, and nearly all of that also takes place in China.

According to Glen Murrell, executive director of the Wyoming Energy Authority, that secondary piece of the rare earths supply chain, not the mining, is the state’s biggest obstacle.

Rare earths face similar supply chain challenges, he said, to uranium, which must be milled and enriched before being turned into the fuel rods used by nuclear reactors.

The uranium mined in Wyoming — a tiny fraction of what it produced in the 1980s — is mostly shipped out of the country, including to Russia and China, to be converted into fuel. There’s no alternative.

“It’s not that we don’t have the resources,” Murrell said. “We don’t have the facilities to actually take the raw resource and then upgrade it to something that is useful for our manufacturing industry.”

Sourcing the more highly enriched uranium needed for advanced nuclear reactors, including the plant TerraPower plans to build in southwestern Wyoming, is even trickier: Russia is its only commercial supplier.

After Russia invaded Ukraine and trade relationships soured, advanced nuclear developers realized they’d have to procure their fuel somewhere else.

Unless the U.S. builds more rare earths processing capacity, ore mined in Wyoming will still have to go through China, where it will continue to face risk of disruption."

"Unless the U.S. builds more rare earths processing capacity, ore mined in Wyoming will still have to go through China, where it will continue to face risk of disruption."

We'll just be 10 years behind and the mess will be left like always, with us footing the bill in the end, and no new grid nor decent road to be found anywhere.
Like now. Like it has been. With 1870's laws.

But hey! My team almost won. LOL

Not In My Backyard:

"Going Green" is the product I buy, not where (except in my backyard) nor who (child labor is Fake News) mines the necessary minerals...

Not In My Backyard:

"Going Green" is the product I buy, not where (except in my backyard) nor who (child labor is Fake News) mines the necessary minerals...

Emily winter looks like her parents paid for her college, which automatically qualifies her for an ev.

I’m so torn on this.
On one hand, wind farms basically financed my hunting trip this summer.
On the same hand, I absolutely do not want those things in my back yard and or a bunch of drunk degenerate truck drivers and construction workers making a living off them.
I feel terrible for the people with the no smoking signs with a windmill through them when I drive by you their houses.
But I guess you can’t fight town hall.
#*^@#* em!
Get some money from your parents, go be a fifth generation college graduate and move to town you hay seed pieces of shit.
Duh.

During the pandemic, oil dropped to record low prices as demand and use dropped, and yet CO2 emissions dipped slightly.
View attachment 249839
A tough global problem with China and India resisting. China emits more CO2 than the rest of the world's countries combined.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...reater-co2-reductions-china-and-india-do-not/
Yep, but it makes everybody feel all warm and fuzzy inside, shutting down relatively clean coal burners here in the states who at least have scrubbers, SCR's and functioning ESP's, but don't bat an eye at all the coal being shipped to the two worst polluters in the world, China and India. I'm in one of the remaining dirt burners, and we still make the difference on peak load days, winter and summer.
Lots of folks seem to think this country is powered on wishes, rainbows and unicorn farts. Drove by some pretty big wind farms in Eastern MT last week that couldn't run because it was too windy that day.

A tough global problem with China and India resisting. China emits more CO2 than the rest of the world's countries combined.
That is not exactly true, but they certainly lead. But is total emission the only way to look at it? CO2 emissions per capita below *uses 2016 data but the trend still holds. We have to ask if is it easier to for US to cut emissions or India and China? China also leads the world in the total energy produced by renewables and they aren't doing it for the ESG rating.

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 6.38.48 AM.png

Yep, but it makes everybody feel all warm and fuzzy inside, shutting down relatively clean coal burners here in the states who at least have scrubbers, SCR's and functioning ESP's, but don't bat an eye at all the coal being shipped to the two worst polluters in the world, China and India. I'm in one of the remaining dirt burners, and we still make the difference on peak load days, winter and summer.
Lots of folks seem to think this country is powered on wishes, rainbows and unicorn farts. Drove by some pretty big wind farms in Eastern MT last week that couldn't run because it was too windy that day.
China isn't doing it to make people, theirs or ours, feel warm and fuzzy. Coal plants are being shut because they can't compete with nat gas, and that is the trend that has been going on for decades. The change has to happen, but it isn't going to happen overnight. You just happen to be in the industry that loses, so your view is understandable.
Storage and land use requirements remain a problem so wind and solar. There are numerous new wind "turbine" designs that are being developed. Some without blades, some with hidden blades, some with blades that generate 3x the amount of electricity. You generally have to have faith in the ability of the human mind to solve problems.

Joe's $500 billion student loan forgiveness plan got shut down in court. Frees up $500 of the $580 billion.🙂
To be honest, our primary customers service area covers several states that have embraced the strategy of "don't worry smart folks will figure out solutions to the problems with renewables". It has been one of the best things to happen to this coal mine. We have to turn customers away as we cannot produce to there current demands. Many of our competitors are able to export to Asia and they are. Alot! This has driven up prices in the domestic market. We are getting calls from customers we have not dealt with, ever in 40+ years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back