Caribou Gear Tarp

U.S. says it will cut costs for clean energy projects on public lands

Energy independence vs China owned minerals and state owned majority stock in largest mineral extraction companies, worldwide... Meanwhile we laugh over California's inept electrical supply while pandering the Green initiatives.
Yet those who laugh at California now are those who wonder why China is the #1world power and U.S. must kiss China's ass for their minerals.

I hope we figure this out because the woke youth are totally cereal.

U K have themselves in an economic death spiral that I don't see a way out of.

Energy independence vs China owned minerals and state owned majority stock in largest mineral extraction companies, worldwide... Meanwhile we laugh over California's inept electrical supply while pandering the Green initiatives.
Yet those who laugh at California now are those who wonder why China is the #1world power and U.S. must kiss China's ass for their minerals.
Every mining or drilling project that comes up is fought vigorously by the usual collection of leftists. See what happened with Pebble mine.
And for what it's worth those Pebble mine opponents have zero problem with a mine in Papua or south America where environmental regulations are much less stringent. In other words NIMBY'ists masquerading as giving a chit about the environment.

Every mining or drilling project that comes up is fought vigorously by the usual collection of leftists. See what happened with Pebble mine.
And for what it's worth those Pebble mine opponents have zero problem with a mine in Papua or south America where environmental regulations are much less stringent. In other words NIMBY'ists masquerading as giving a chit about the environment.
BS

Brent, not in my backyard is popular U.S. fanfare. Meanwhile, the conditions for labor, mining minerals for their green ideology, is far from acceptable if they wanted to remove their blinders.

I could go on though you get the idea.

I am certainly not opposed to the government subsidizing green energy production. We need to get away from fossil fuels and there has been a long tradition of government subsidies for energy production. But using large tracts of public land to build solar power plants seems environmentally unsound and needless. I know several people including two of my daughters that have solar panels on their houses. They are on a program where they power their home with solar as long as the panels are producing and the power company banks any excess power produced, then sends it back when the panels are not producing. They pay almost nothing for electricity but of course they are paying off the solar panels over a 30-year period.
I looked into it when I was building my house, but I use very little electricity compared to most and I am getting old so the chance of me living long enough for the solar to pay for itself is slim. So, I didn't go solar

However, if a company wanted to lease my roof to put up solar panels or reduce my eclectic rate for the use of my roof, I would be more than willing to let them cover my house with panels. I am sure there are millions of other roof tops and open unused private land they could lease as well, and they are already connected to the grid. Basically, the same model that cell phone companies use to locate their towers. I don't know, maybe there is a reason this isn't being done but it sure makes sense to me.

I am certainly not opposed to the government subsidizing green energy production. We need to get away from fossil fuels and there has been a long tradition of government subsidies for energy production. But using large tracts of public land to build solar power plants seems environmentally unsound and needless. I know several people including two of my daughters that have solar panels on their houses. They are on a program where they power their home with solar as long as the panels are producing and the power company banks any excess power produced, then sends it back when the panels are not producing. They pay almost nothing for electricity but of course they are paying off the solar panels over a 30-year period.
I looked into it when I was building my house, but I use very little electricity compared to most and I am getting old so the chance of me living long enough for the solar to pay for itself is slim. So, I didn't go solar

However, if a company wanted to lease my roof to put up solar panels or reduce my eclectic rate for the use of my roof, I would be more than willing to let them cover my house with panels. I am sure there are millions of other roof tops and open unused private land they could lease as well, and they are already connected to the grid. Basically, the same model that cell phone companies use to locate their towers. I don't know, maybe there is a reason this isn't being done but it sure makes sense to me.

One of the criticisms I've seen of rooftop solar is the difficulty for the utility in moderating the grid. I guess I get that.

But locally it seems like we could cover Harry and David, Coast Aluminum, the south Medford hotels, and the remainder of the Armory and it would be a heck of a start. That would be just a few points of connection to the grid that would equate to many homes. I'd prefer that every day over those big old fenced monstrosities they have on highway 140 on the east side.

Leasing (TPO third party owner) has been done at incredible levels, many solar companies were built on that model. I worked on a couple of funds worth nearly a half billion with funding from Citi, HSBC and BofA.

Not sure where everything is at now and the mix of lease or buy.

worked on a couple of funds worth nearly a half billion with funding from Citi, HSBC and BofA.
Publicly traded? Do you know their ticker?

Looks like TAN is the ETF for Solar shingles, etc.

DQ and CSIQ appear to be the larger of the collective.

CAFD, it was the pet project of our CFO at the time who wanted a YieldCo. It all wrapped up now, but that was after my time. We had a lot of other TPO financing done in house as well at the time.

Here in Billings,MT USA we get hail storms on a regular basis that would damage the hell out of roof top solar panels. I've had 3 new roofs put on in 6 years. Plus the northern half of the country is not ideally suited to solar.
Of course that didn't stop a solar project from being built just outside of town here...with US taxpayer dollars no doubt. And this project will completely destroy 150 acres of virgin land. At least wind is a bit more friendly in that regard.
In truth wind a solar are a complete joke. If we wanted to get serious about clean energy nuclear is the only way.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back