Tyvek - DIY Bivy, canopy, tarp, etc!

Sytes

Tyvek holds interesting advantages simply due to the breathable, waterproof, and durable aspects. Also the cost factor is great especially considering scraps from construction yards or simply asking for a piece to fit your design.

Canopy tents seem a good starting point, though I found this YouTube video on a bivy sack that has detoured my initial canopy idea. Seems others have beat me to the punch on my Nobel prize endeavor...:W: haha!

Thought I would share this and see whatcha think... I especially like this guy's idea for washing / drying the material to get the noise factor reduced and make the material more... user friendly.

Here is the YouTube video. Skip to about 1/2 way through as he rambles on about sleeping bags fot the first half. REALLY INTERESTING how simple he creates a very usable bivy sack! He also notes he has painted a couple in the past w/o issue. (edit added: 8:40 into video is the start of the tyvek bivy.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UHoJwLiWs

I think I burnt out my mother in law for sewing from my 13lb wall tent and my wife is catching on to my ploy that it is somehow cheaper for me to build items than to just buy... it's an ass kicker when she is the house accountant. Haha!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Link no worky for me.

(I went back and edited out the m. at the start of the link and it worked. I guess you are posting from your phone)

Oops. Thanks Npaden :) I removed the m. Portion. Should work good now(?)

Tyvek also works great as a sled for sliding out meat on the snow. Just wrap the critter in it and hold on. Slicker than snot. It will tear on rocks and sharp branchs but if you are in some deeper snow it slides like crazy. Lightweight and easy to pack.

tyvek

I have used it to make wind sock style snow goose decoys. I made about 400 and they are easy to transport and set up. A slight breeze gives them movement

It should work now... I am on my computer versus my tablet. Apologies - It is really interesting. If your not interested in the sleeping bag portion he covers... go about 1/2 way through the video and that is about where he starts his portion on the tyvek bivy. (edit added: 8:40 into video is the start of the tyvek bivy.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UHoJwLiWs

Updated on opening post as well with the above link.

Interesting video. Looks like a great product for making a tent, bivy, or even goose blind when it snows.

That is awesome! I see he has some other videos, one making a teepee. I wonder if he could make some Tyvek waders :D

Wow creative...I came home with one from a deployment by accident that was issued at combat skills training...whoops. Guess I beat his price by a bit. Still really creative.

That is awesome! I see he has some other videos, one making a teepee. I wonder if he could make some Tyvek waders :D

Heh, no kidding! Waders would take the cake! While viewing that video, there was a video link to a kayak or canoe... haha! May just be the new 'duct tape' of all survival uses. :D 9x12 piece washed, dried... folded and incorporatedinto the pack! Lawnboy's use as a snow sled sounds so darn interesting, it may be more an encouraging factor to knock down that button head whitey or muley while in elk country hunt next year... simply to try the sled aspect! Haha! Maybe not... though wouldn't take much more than a button head to slide away. I must remember though, hike UPHILL, pack or sled DOWNHILL... :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back