Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Two Dogs Killed by Wolves in Colorado Less Than 24-Hours Apart 3-17-23

You don't seem like the type that would let your dog roam around in a field full of sheep and cattle so i doubt he would have gotten your dog. I had a lab that got loose from my house when it was young. A rancher brought it back and let me know i was really lucky but i wouldn't be lucky twice. My dog went to training and i used a leash a lot more. In cattle country...dogs have to be watched really close, at least in the bitterroot. I will say Hank was pretty well known and quite cantankerous to talk to. He did let me fish through his property pre-stream access.

Great video by Cliff Gray on the reintro of wolves in Colorado.

I hate to laugh at this guy but i am...he thinks all the money is "pro wolf" as he makes money and gets on the Joe Rogan show being "anti-wolf". Money is on both sides of this issue to fight it for a long time. Fact is...a non-public land/wildlife user has just as much of a say as a public land/ wildlife user when it comes to the public trust(which is both land AND wildlife). Funny an outfitter looks at this from a perspective of how many elk permits for the area he hunts...oh, and he likes wolves...if he can hunt them. "Mountain lions should be here and are great too...i've been on a lot of those hunts". His perspective is as a profiteer of a public resource...not saying his perspective is completely wrong...but it is chalk full of bias. Personally, i believe wolves have increased ungulate populations in some areas by getting rid of mt lions, bears and mostly coyotes. I never hear that perspective...how they effect other predators.

I hate to laugh at this guy but i am...he thinks all the money is "pro wolf" as he makes money and gets on the Joe Rogan show being "anti-wolf". Money is on both sides of this issue to fight it for a long time. Fact is...a non-public land/wildlife user has just as much of a say as a public land/ wildlife user when it comes to the public trust(which is both land AND wildlife). Funny an outfitter looks at this from a perspective of how many elk permits for the area he hunts...oh, and he likes wolves...if he can hunt them. "Mountain lions should be here and are great too...i've been on a lot of those hunts". His perspective is as a profiteer of a public resource...not saying his perspective is completely wrong...but it is chock full of bias. Personally, i believe wolves have increased ungulate populations in some areas by getting rid of mt lions, bears and mostly coyotes. I never hear that perspective...how they effect other predators.
Not trying to be a dick, but I pretty much don’t agree with a single thing you have said in these posts. No amount of internet arguing is going to change your mind so I won’t even try.

Fact is...a non-public land/wildlife user has just as much of a say as a public land/ wildlife user when it comes to the public trust(which is both land AND wildlife). Funny an outfitter looks at this from a perspective of how many elk permits for the area he hunts...oh, and he likes wolves...if he can hunt them.

Obviously the “non public land/wildlife user” has the same say, when it’s by ballot initiative vote to push through what voters “feel” should happen in some other part of a state or the country they’ve never been to, or where they don’t live and it doesn’t affect them personally.

And many are voting without being informed. If it doesn’t affect them, then why be informed? Just vote for whichever ballot summary (and presumably lots of ad $$$) makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. (Side note: a lot of work and maneuvering can go into what information is or is not in the ballot summary, next to the yes and no. The description isn’t always neutral, on purpose.)

Gray also pointed out there are professional ballot petition signature seekers. That’s apparently what happened with the latest CO wolf reintroduction. The same type of thing happens with other hot button issues.

As for your comment that he likes wolves if he can hunt them—based on their comments, there are people on this thread who I’m sure feel the same way and I don’t blame them. (And MT wolf hunters and trappers get reimbursed by the state for expenses.).

Maybe I would be ok with some wolves too, if they could be managed, but in NE Oregon its a no go. For a long time I’ve had a front row seat to wolves showing up.

The latest CO reintroduction plan calls for relocating wolves from other states, including Oregon. Guess what that means? Oregon has a surplus of wolves (over concentrated in the NE corner).

Because that’s how the Oregon non public land users want it. They’re controlling the narrative. What could possibly go wrong? Oh wait, it already has in Oregon. Colorado may be next.

His perspective is as a profiteer of a public resource...

The federal government proposals I’ve seen concerning the reintroduction of wolves, have included an estimate of how much of a financial impact wolves would have on an area of reintroduction.

Maybe that’s part of the required analysis, but they say things like, the presence of wolves may result in an increase of $X tourism dollars. Profit is involved in that side too.

The federal government proposals I’ve seen concerning the reintroduction of wolves, have included an estimate of how much of a financial impact wolves would have on an area of reintroduction.

Maybe that’s part of the required analysis, but they say things like, the presence of wolves may result in an increase of $X tourism dollars. Profit is involved in that side too.
Get off your ass and do something constructive about getting wolf hunting in Oregon as part of the state management plan.

Your crying is annoying.

Get off your ass and do something constructive about getting wolf hunting in Oregon as part of the state management plan.

Your crying is annoying.

Sorry buddy, no one forced you to read it.

I’d hunt wolves but it’s illegal in Oregon.

By getting off my ass, do you mean start a ballot initiative to ask Oregon voters pass a wolf hunting bill? LOL.

Maybe I’ll have a chance if I throw $$$ at the same signature petition professionals who worked over CO. [Or throw a couple hundred grand at ODFW??]

I’d tell you to have a nice day, but to do that you’d need to first get a personality transplant.

Edit: I’m posting info from Oregon to let people know what happens when there’s wolf reintroduction and no hunting. Like what may happen in CO.

Last edited:
Sorry buddy, no one forced you to read it.

I’d hunt wolves but it’s illegal in Oregon.

By getting off my ass, do you mean start a ballot initiative to ask Oregon voters pass a wolf hunting bill? LOL.

Maybe I’ll have a chance if I throw $$$ at the same signature petition professionals who worked over CO. [Or throw a couple hundred grand at ODFW??]

I’d tell you to have a nice day, but to do that you’d need to first get a personality transplant.

Edit: I’m posting info from Oregon to let people know what happens when there’s wolf reintroduction and no hunting. Like what may happen in CO.

You gotta remember that Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming had these problems long before we did. Most folks here know the frustrations of wolf reintroduction.

And I hope you're an OHA member. They're one of the few organizations that has fought to retain lethal control as a management tool.

You gotta remember that Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming had these problems long before we did. Most folks here know the frustrations of wolf reintroduction.

Sure, and people in those states can hunt and trap wolves. I may be mistaken, but doesn’t the CO law prevent hunting? Good luck guys. Yes I’m an OHA member

It's a voter demographic issue dummy. The big city's in Colorado, Oregon, and Washington control the politics and policies.
So, you're doing nothing about it...got it.

You can't out-work, out-think, or educate the non-hunting public, and I'm the dummy?

Hilarious...stay on that couch and yell into the echo chamber, and at clouds.

So, you're doing nothing about it...got it.

You can't out-work, out-think, or educate the non-hunting public, and I'm the dummy?

Hilarious...stay on that couch and yell into the echo chamber.

First off, sounds like someone found a turd on their wheaties this morning

Second, one theme here seems to be that all one needs to do is “educate” the public, and then they’ll vote whatever you believe. Can you outspend the pro wolf “nonprofits”?

This is not completely unlike out of state anti firearm groups pouring millions of dollars into vulnerable states to pass their agenda.

First off, sounds like someone found a turd on their wheaties this morning

Second, one theme here seems to be that all one needs to do is “educate” the public, and then they’ll vote whatever you believe. Can you outspend the pro wolf “nonprofits”?

This is not completely unlike out of state anti firearm groups pouring millions of dollars into vulnerable states to pass their agenda.
Hunters seem to find plenty of vacation time and money to buy rifles, clothing, glass, atv's, applications in 20 states, trucks, campers, tents,...as well as the time to hunt.

But, ask them to show up and take a day of vacation to attend a legislative session, a commission meeting...yeah, just cant swing it. Ask them to throw $500 at a cause...yeah, you know the budget is just a little tight.

Cry me a river...

Sure, and people in those states can hunt and trap wolves.
Right, and guess what, it took a lot of work that you didn't do...for them to make that happen.

Many of them are posting on this board.

They took action rather than do nothing...funny how that moves the needle.

Cry me a river...

I already did, I thought. Sounds like you’ve been watching too many social media influencers, based on how much gear you think every hunter has.

But is the logic that all hunters in Oregon should sell most of their hunting gear, $20k side by sides, etc., and use that to buy some YouTube ads to educate Portland and Eugene voters that wolf hunting is necessary?

Then whatever’s left over, hire some petition signature gatherers. Ok. Probably cheaper to move to or hunt in another state like yours! That’s what guys are doing.

I already did, I thought. Sounds like you’ve been watching too many social media influencers, based on how much gear you think every hunter has.

But is the logic that all hunters in Oregon should sell most of their hunting gear, $20k side by sides, etc., and use that to buy some YouTube ads to educate Portland and Eugene voters that wolf hunting is necessary?

Then whatever’s left over, hire some petition signature gatherers. Ok. Probably cheaper to move to or hunt in another state like yours! That’s what guys are doing.
Right, because hunters are walking to their hunting spots, whittling arrows, knapping broadheads, and hunting in their buckskin thongs.

The fact is that 99.99% of the hunters do absolutely NOTHING but maybe buy a license once a year and think they're going "all out".

Want some examples? Go watch a commission meeting, go to a legislative session where a hunting related bill is being heard.

Even now that people can testify remotely, maybe 5-6 people testify and in at least 80% of the cases, I know the people testifying...both in person and remotely.

You aren't going to BS me...I've been at this a long, long time and its a very tiny handful of very over-worked and under-appreciated folks that do 99.99% of the heavy lifting.

If not for them, you wouldn't even have anything to cry about regarding hunting...it would have been gone a long time ago.

Keep making excuses for doing nothing...

Back