Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Two Dogs Killed by Wolves in Colorado Less Than 24-Hours Apart 3-17-23

Yep Hank Meyers...i saw a few of his casualties and my uncle had his dog shot in the butt. My uncle took it in stride...my aunt wasn't happy with Hank. His son is much nicer i believe. He hung the dogs on Middle Burnt Fork road across from the old school/ church.
Grew up there. Never heard of him. Somehow missed that. mtmuley

More cattle and sheep are killed by domestic dogs than wolves each year. More humans are killed by domestic dogs each year. People don't take care of their dogs and then wonder why they get killed or injured. How about this...since more dogs are killed by vehicles each year...near the dogs house, maybe we should ban vehicles where dogs live. Or perhaps, just maybe...people can quit having their dogs roam all over hell. I'm sure every working dog stays within the owners land...which is why cattle and sheep predation from domestic dogs is so high. A sheep farmer in the bitterroot had an easy answer...he shot the dogs and tied them to his corner fence by the main road. He had a sign set up saying you can retrieve your dog here. Amazing how well people round him adapted to watching their dogs.
This has what to do with the article?

This has what to do with the article?
That if you want to cure a problem...deal with the real problem. I'm good with wolf hunting and controlling their population but i have little to no sympathy for a guy who has no idea where his dog is and the dog is killed. I feel bad for the dog who has a crappy owner. Wolves aren't nearly as big a problem as hunters make them out to be...but they are a very easy scapegoat.

Years? mtmuley
His name was Jay Meyer...he taught elementary school for 25 years according to the article I just read. I only met him a couple times. I think he just recently retired (within the past 5-6 years).

That if you want to cure a problem...deal with the real problem. I'm good with wolf hunting and controlling their population but i have little to no sympathy for a guy who has no idea where his dog is and the dog is killed. I feel bad for the dog who has a crappy owner. Wolves aren't nearly as big a problem as hunters make them out to be...but they are a very easy scapegoat.

You must not have hunted where I hunted for 30 years.

And in the article the guy said, "That’s 40 yards from my front door,” “It’s kind of an eerie feeling. My kids play out there every day."

If he was a "crappy owner" for letting his dog be 40 yards from his house, then how do you feel about the kids playing outside? Should they just stay inside? Or move to town?

You must not have hunted where I hunted for 30 years.

And in the article the guy said, "That’s 40 yards from my front door,” “It’s kind of an eerie feeling. My kids play out there every day."

If he was a "crappy owner" for letting his dog be 40 yards from his house, then how do you feel about the kids playing outside? Should they just stay inside? Or move to town?
Correct...never hunted in Oregon. There's been 2 wolf attacks on humans in the lower 48...so not a lot of risk to humans. If you live in an area that you've tracked wolves near your house...i would probably keep pretty good track of my kids as well as my dog. That's what good owners/ parents do. You know why these attacks make the news...because they aren't common. No one talks about a dog being hit by a car or killed by another domestic dog which are both far more common. It's easier to have outrage when you put wolf in the article. It sure garners a lot more attention.

And one punchline to the reintro of wolves in CO is that the plan calls for transplanting with wolves from several states, including Oregon.

Meaning Oregon has a surplus of wolves, apparently.

Last edited:
I hope with all the hope I can muster they roll in to Estes park area and RMNP sooner then later.

It garners attention because urban/suburban Coloradans voted to force reintroduction of wolves upon rural Coloradans despite the fact that wolves already exist in Colorado and are expanding further as habitat allows.
If they are already there...then it's not re-introduction. It's bolstering the existing population. If it's like MT, there's a good chance they will be allowed to hunt them quicker due to the extra wolves being brought in. They will have a connected population with WY and also ID and MT. It garners attention because you have something that isn't routine (doesn't happen often) and there are two groups fighting over current legislation. All in all, wolves aren't the end of the world. They have been proven in a couple studies to not be the most detrimental thing on ungulates...they are just the easiest to blame.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back