Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Two Dogs Killed by Wolves in Colorado Less Than 24-Hours Apart 3-17-23

No doubt bold predators can be a problem, but MN has way more wolves than CO or MT and they just aren’t a big problem for people or pets.

I think given the option, I'd rather have my dog end up a wolf meal rather than being put down by a vet because it's too old to walk and crap outside.

Coyotes kill lots of dogs in my neighborhood. We had a stray bear cub a couple years ago and coyotes were stalking it when we called fish and game to intervene. I guess it would make the news if wolves were involved.

A Professor teaching college level ecology class in my home State in the late 90's said, with authority, that dogs kill more deer than hunters. I found that fact shocking at the time and I wasn't sure I believed it. Soon afterwards, I was visiting a neighbor (very rural area) and I noticed two fawn carcasses and numerous little deer hooves in his yard. I asked about them and he proceeded to brag on his dogs and how good they were at killing young deer. One dog was a greyhound mix and another was part pit bull. He said the greyhound would chase them down and the big dog would finish them off. He said there were several more carcasses just beyond his yard. Every rural resident in my home State (seems like) has multiple dogs that run loose and most of the dog owners believe we need predator control to protect game species. Irony?

Coyotes kill lots of dogs in my neighborhood. We had a stray bear cub a couple years ago and coyotes were stalking it when we called fish and game to intervene. I guess it would make the news if wolves were involved.

A Professor teaching college level ecology class in my home State in the late 90's said, with authority, that dogs kill more deer than hunters. I found that fact shocking at the time and I wasn't sure I believed it. Soon afterwards, I was visiting a neighbor (very rural area) and I noticed two fawn carcasses and numerous little deer hooves in his yard. I asked about them and he proceeded to brag on his dogs and how good they were at killing young deer. One dog was a greyhound mix and another was part pit bull. He said the greyhound would chase them down and the big dog would finish them off. He said there were several more carcasses just beyond his yard. Every rural resident in my home State (seems like) has multiple dogs that run loose and most of the dog owners believe we need predator control to protect game species. Irony?
Yup domestic dogs should be shot to if harassing wildlife and that guy should be charged with wildlife violations IMO!! Did you report this to authorities?

I know some guys that are really good at killing wolves. mtmuley

Sure, some guys are better hunters than others. People make that clear all the time on this site.

Looks like Montana Fish and Game website shows only 258 wolves were harvested in 2022.
Previous poster said there were 1500 estimated wolves in MT, and hunters had a 25 to 33 percent success rate.

Setting aside that if anything, the 1500 estimate is lower than actual numbers, 258 / 1500 wolves isn't that close to a claimed 33 harvest success rate

Sure, some guys are better hunters than others. People make that clear all the time on this site.

Looks like Montana Fish and Game website shows only 258 wolves were harvested in 2022.
Previous poster said there were 1500 estimated wolves in MT, and hunters had a 25 to 33 percent success rate.

Setting aside that if anything, the 1500 estimate is lower than actual numbers, 258 / 1500 wolves isn't that close to a claimed 33 harvest success rate
The biologist's estimate was around 1100 wolves based on actual count and population estimates. He said that at the top end assuming a lot of wolves were hiding, the number would be 1500. You are also picking this year which is the lowest number of wolves killed in Montana and when I spoke to him, he was basing it off the last reported year 2021 where 329 wolves were killed. 329/1100 = 29.9%...well within the 25-33.3% that he had given me. Another interesting fact is the 258...MT has increased quotas, hunting/trapping/snaring is allowed and the quota around yellowstone was increased as well as an increase to the number of days, yet the number of wolves killed went down quite a lot.

Wait, 1100? You only mentioned 1500 in the earlier post. And hunters kill up to 33% of that 1100 number every year — although I think your guy was including trapper numbers which is what I did.

The earlier post also omitted the year when you talked to him. Working with the info I had but feels like I’m trying to nail JellO to the wall!

Wait, 1100? You only mentioned 1500 in the earlier post. And hunters kill up to 33% of that 1100 number every year — although I think your guy was including trapper numbers which is what I did.

The earlier post also omitted the year when you talked to him. Working with the info I had but feels like I’m trying to nail JellO to the wall!
I didn't talk to him yesterday...i spoke to him last year prior to hunting season. I also wrote his top end estimate...which it was...which is why he gave a 25% kill rate. Also, the percentage is a bit higher due to non-hunting or trapping deaths...if you want to add more jello. Name another hunted species in Montana that we take 1/4-1/3 of the total population in just hunting/trapping each year.

Name another hunted species in Montana that we take 1/4-1/3 of the total population in just hunting/trapping each year.
Sure, that's why I expressed some surprise but sounds like the wolves keep populating. Though now that I think about it, my math or assumptions was wrong anyway. I was slow and took it in a bad direction by saying the number of wolves taken out of total population was X percent hunter success rate. Instead I should have looked at the almost 21K wolf licenses sold in 2021, with a harvest number (hunters and trappers) of 273. So success rate would be calculated much differently, but even at that lower rate, "up to" 1/3 of the wolves are taken out each year.

2021 stats show 4 archery hunters took a wolf. And that 2 hunters took 5 wolves and another hunter took 10 wolves. Must be the guys mtmuley knows

Last edited:

Dogs that run deer and elk are shot on sight if I see them. There’s wardens here that will tell you shoot them leave them lay.

Dogs that run deer and elk are shot on sight if I see them. There’s wardens here that will tell you shoot them leave them lay.
Now try that with the upcoming wolves in CO and see what the warden says. Does it make any difference to the elk? Bet they rather would choose to deal with the dogs.

Now try that with the upcoming wolves in CO and see what the warden says. Does it make any difference to the elk? Bet they rather would choose to deal with the dogs.
Did I say I was gonna try that? I would very much like to try that but for obvious reasons can’t. Im sure some people will shoot them. I’m sure the elk and deer rather deal with the dogs any day. Best I can do is hope they end up in southern wyoming and are eradicated.

Back