Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Truck bed camp.

Are you able to fold down your softtop with the bed and cooler in the back?

I’m on the poverty camper too!

Opted for the flat coverage so I can still slide a full sheet of ply in and strap it from the rear.

I got extra nerdy and made some curtains out of dowel rods that roll down and block a full moon and/or go incognito for long-distance parking lot snoozes. Added some stretch netting in the ceiling to store sleeping bags uncompressed during the day. Cabside is divided off from tailgate and lifts up for east access to extra storage.
DC398D9C-1F47-4A66-ACAF-75D77308D024.jpeg29153014-5325-4019-9E02-234B6C0F8CE6.jpeg

Are you able to fold down your softtop with the bed and cooler in the back?
I *could* but I'd have to pull out the whole drawer box over to do that. The arm sits on top of it on the side there, and it needs to swing down to fold the topper over.

Those sleeping setups look really nice. What are they going to look like after 50 miles of dusty gravel roads?
Mine mostly get slurped underneath the sleeping platform itself, where the bed is vented. In the four or so years I've had this set up I've never actually seen dust accumulate on the sleeping surface. Not much of a cloud even when I give it a good whack. Pine needles are another story. That carpet seems like a magnet for them.

Reactions: Oak
After my first long “dusty” hunt; I realized that the bed was not sealed, so I used hard foam to plug the areas dust could get in; some quick weather striping on the shell lift back took care of that. So the dust is not bad even on horrible dirt roads. The only issue I have is that the memory foam bed ends up moving around, if I’m lazy and pile stuff on it (which I do). I would encourage anyone building their truck bed to consider rain and dust management. Nothing worse than popping open your truck camper at 4am to hit the hunt and finding your gear wet or dusty…

I’m on the poverty camper too!

Opted for the flat coverage so I can still slide a full sheet of ply in and strap it from the rear.

I got extra nerdy and made some curtains out of dowel rods that roll down and block a full moon and/or go incognito for long-distance parking lot snoozes. Added some stretch netting in the ceiling to store sleeping bags uncompressed during the day. Cabside is divided off from tailgate and lifts up for east access to extra storage.
View attachment 240735View attachment 240736
Funny how all us truck guys base our decisions on being able to fit a full size piece of plywood in our trucks😆😆😆

That looks like a super comfortable setup.

If I camp out in my truck, it's either open air or I throw a tarp over the bed if it's cold/ rainy. It works but it's not exactly the Ritz.

I hate y’all. Tailgate is now sealed and I’m working replacing the seals for windows now.

Attachments

• ACC613FB-C40D-49EB-B48A-05716015D449.jpeg
    ACC613FB-C40D-49EB-B48A-05716015D449.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
  • 7EDF82C6-5743-42F4-8AE8-B1877A798C82.jpeg
    7EDF82C6-5743-42F4-8AE8-B1877A798C82.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • 89191DC8-BDCE-4AE1-A8AD-A8BA36E1C32B.jpeg
    89191DC8-BDCE-4AE1-A8AD-A8BA36E1C32B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
I hate y’all. Tailgate is now sealed and I’m working replacing the seals for windows now.
How big of a pain is it to scrape off all the old window seal? I’ve been putting it off for too long and finally ordered some butyl tape today.

How big of a pain is it to scrape off all the old window seal? I’ve been putting it off for too long and finally ordered some butyl tape today.
It was super easy. It came off in 2 pieces but it I would’ve started at the seam it would’ve came off in 1. I’m using butyl tape as well as the replacement. It took me about an hour from start to finish. The hardest part was prying the window out.

The hardest part for me is I’m going to be replacing the bottom seal where the topper meets the truck. I’m going to have to lift it up by myself.

It was super easy. It came off in 2 pieces but it I would’ve started at the seam it would’ve came off in 1. I’m using butyl tape as well as the replacement. It took me about an hour from start to finish. The hardest part was prying the window out.

The hardest part for me is I’m going to be replacing the bottom seal where the topper meets the truck. I’m going to have to lift it up by myself.
Yuppers. I’m gonna go ahead and redo the topper to bed seal as well. Did it last about four years ago but everything got a little weepy last time I drove a few hours in a big rainstorm. As far as I know the topper’s window seals haven’t been replaced since the truck was new in 1996. Glad to hear that part was pretty easy though!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back