PEAX Equipment

Truck bed camp.

I’ve got a question for you all. How many spiders have you had get into your truck bed with one of these toppers on?

The reason being my wife and I for years have been talking about getting a camper set up for our next vehicle. She really wants a camper van, something that is all self contained and seals up tight.
I want a pickup with one of these cabover toppers. It seems way more versatile, as we can still use the truck bed for daily uses or take it off if we need to haul large items, plus the truck will have greater ground clearance than a van, which will be a boon on these logging roads.

Her main objection? “Spiders will get in, and I’ll wake up covered in them” (I should note she has a VERY strong, deep rooted fear of spiders, and they seem to always crawl on her. Can’t say why, they leave me alone, but no kidding it’s like they seek her out to perch on).

I’m pretty sure any modern truck bed with a topper will seal up tight enough to keep out all but the most determined spiders, but I’ll let you all tell me.

So, what’s your experience been on that?
Probably more spiders in your house than what you'll get in the cap.

I’ve got a question for you all. How many spiders have you had get into your truck bed with one of these toppers on?

The reason being my wife and I for years have been talking about getting a camper set up for our next vehicle. She really wants a camper van, something that is all self contained and seals up tight.
I want a pickup with one of these cabover toppers. It seems way more versatile, as we can still use the truck bed for daily uses or take it off if we need to haul large items, plus the truck will have greater ground clearance than a van, which will be a boon on these logging roads.

Her main objection? “Spiders will get in, and I’ll wake up covered in them” (I should note she has a VERY strong, deep rooted fear of spiders, and they seem to always crawl on her. Can’t say why, they leave me alone, but no kidding it’s like they seek her out to perch on).

I’m pretty sure any modern truck bed with a topper will seal up tight enough to keep out all but the most determined spiders, but I’ll let you all tell me.

So, what’s your experience been on that?
I've never seen a spider in mine but I probably wouldn't notice either way. But if you think a camper shell like the OP seals anything out besides weather you'd be wrong

Nice system. I just redid mine to accommodate work and play. I even included the yeti sticker so that I could be part of the club
I made a VERY similar setup for my ‘76 C10 8’ back in my construction days. Bonus was the added weight so it didn’t get stuck too easily. I miss that truck and setup

The bottle opener at the bottom of the bed is a key detail. Nicely done!

Here is my hunting truck setup; 2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3L

Works out great, I made the bed frame just high enough to accommodate the containers; two carriage bolts hold it in place. 1/2 wafer panel and some 1x1's, this was a fast build back in 2018 the day before leaving for an Idaho hunt, figured I would rebuild it after, but this has lasted me for the last 5 seasons. Food and kitchen stuff in the one nearest the tailgate, sleeping bag, tent, tarp, chair in the center container, and I keep my camo's in the far container. My fishing poles fit right in the far right under the panel and rest on the wheel well. I usually keep my ice chest in the rear seats in the cab.

Attachments

• IMG_1944.jpg
    IMG_1944.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4522.jpg
    IMG_4522.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4523.jpg
    IMG_4523.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9134.JPG
    IMG_9134.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 130
SDO, is that a 5.5 or 6.5’ bed?
I have the short bed; I’m also 5’4” so no issue with me fitting into the space and stretching out to sleep. Maybe the only advantage to being short… that and I use less soap😜
Finding a long bed crew cab was virtually impossible when I was buying the truck, the long beds were usually on the extra cab versions, which I did not want.

I have the short bed; I’m also 5’4” so no issue with me fitting into the space and stretching out to sleep. Maybe the only advantage to being short… that and I use less soap😜
Finding a long bed crew cab was virtually impossible when I was buying the truck, the long beds were usually on the extra cab versions, which I did not want.
Well, that…and coach seats on planes are more like First Class!

(*I’m 5’8” and you’ve got me wondering if I could pull off a diagonal bed in my short-bed Tundra…)

If her fear of spiders is the same as my wife's fear of frogs you better just put that money into a hotel lol

Probably more spiders in your house than what you'll get in the cap.
I have an occasional spider, usually ends up int the bed because of something I put in the back. Worse than spiders, I had mice coming in the back, crawling up thru the frame and between the walls of the bed. I ended this by pushing hard foam into all the openings of the truck bed.

that’s cool, do you have slides or bearing on the bottom of that drawer? I could see using that as a work space or cooking space.
No slides, it's on two 'runners', just waxed wood is all. I was trying to keep it under budget and it works. There's a pull out board under it that comes out like a cooktop space. I'll pull the coolers out and set them down and work off both surfaces, before closing up camp and packing it all in again

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back