Trophy or meat ?

Totally agree with Randy. My wall is not full, but my freezer is!

I let NM determine that for me since I put in for bull, then cow and cow every year. If I get lucky enough to draw the first choice on my app then I aim for a trophy knowing that most years I draw will be cow - the best meat.

I think it depends on how often you get to hunt elk. Some of you lucky people live in states where you get to hunt bull elk every year and even both bull and cow elk every year.
Since I only hunt in my own state of NV the first and only bull elk tag I drew in 1996 took 14 years. Thankfully I took a 340 bull, then a 10 year waiting peiod to start applying again. Should I ever draw again it will be a trophy only or a spike on the last day.
Seems like I can draw a cow elk tag every other year.

I think it depends on how often you get to hunt elk. Some of you lucky people live in states where you get to hunt bull elk every year and even both bull and cow elk every year.
Since I only hunt in my own state of NV the first and only bull elk tag I drew in 1996 took 14 years. Thankfully I took a 340 bull, then a 10 year waiting peiod to start applying again. Should I ever draw again it will be a trophy only or a spike on the last day.
Seems like I can draw a cow elk tag every other year.

Congrats on the great bull, bummer that your not eating elk more often though. With that amount of application fees you could hop, skip or jump to a neighboring state for an OTC tag.

For me it all depends on the tag. If I have an OTC tag or an easy draw tag than it's going to be a meat hunt. If I draw a premium or once-in-a-lifetime tag than it's a trophy hunt.
A few years ago I drew a Tule tag.The hunt area was new and only 2 tags a year were issued. I drew on the 3rd year, tag #6. I saw pictures of bulls #5, 4, 3, and 2. All awesome bulls. I wondered what #1 looked like, what a monster the first bull ever taken from this herd must have been............but never saw a pic of it. The local game warden said it was a small 6x6 meat bull. What a waste of a tag IMO.

To each their own. Luckily I live in a state where I can hunt elk every year for several months. I've never bought beef for my freezer my entire adult life. If I try to kill an elk these days it will have to be something special to me, otherwise I'll be letting one survive, helping somebody else pack it out, and/or continuing to hunt. The more I can be out hunting elk, the happier I am. Nothing more wrong than killing an animal you wished you hadn't. Good luck with your elk hunt.

Last edited:
I'm primarily a meat hunter, hence my preference for certain game animals and does or cows. I just think the meat is better. That said, on my hunts, when a trophy walks by I'll give real consideration to it.

I usually do a 5 day hunt every year (I only hunt Bulls). I am in no hurry to end the hunt with taking the first Elk, because I have 50 weeks before I am able to come back and do it again, and that is a long time !! Of course I don't want to make that long drive home with empty ice chests either (then the 50 weeks wait is REALLY long) !
So, my solution is- I will shoot a 6 X 6 the first day, a 5 X 5 the second day, a 4X4 the third day, then any legal Bull days four or five. After 26 years I haven't had to wait past day two except twice, and came home empty handed only once.

The beauty of hunting - the tag holder gets to decide what they want from the hunt. It is really no concern to anyone else. If you want meat, great. If you want to hold out and extend your hunt, great. No matter the choice, so long as it is the hunter's choice and not pressure from others, it will be a great outcome.

I've eaten a lot of tags while trying to sort out the meat or antlers issue. I now subscribe to the hunters version of "Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," which is commonly stated as "Don't pass on the first day that which you would shoot on the last."

Good luck.

That last sentence is exactly right Fin. I've killed enough big old tough bulls. I now shoot what looks to be the best eater. I usually settle for a fat old cow or a raghorn these days.

The beauty of hunting - the tag holder gets to decide what they want from the hunt. It is really no concern to anyone else. If you want meat, great. If you want to hold out and extend your hunt, great. No matter the choice, so long as it is the hunter's choice and not pressure from others, it will be a great outcome.

I've eaten a lot of tags while trying to sort out the meat or antlers issue. I now subscribe to the hunters version of "Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," which is commonly stated as "Don't pass on the first day that which you would shoot on the last."

Good luck.

NAILED IT. The dilemma is easy for me.. I've never had a chance at a "wall mounter" before, so I shoot my meat and fill my freezers. Some day though, I'll accomplish both on the same hunt.

I have hunted hard looking for the biggest bull or buck and I have also ended up with tag soup. I try to hunt ducks as much as possible and absolutely do that for the meat. Besides, I get a little tired of people wanting to scale or judge your trophy. When was the last time someone said "your mallard doesn't score well"?

Montana hunters enjoy the opportunity to hold two elk tags in many hunting districts. A general either sex or brow-tined bull tag allows for trophy hunting, while a second antlerless elk tag provides the opportunity to harvest a cow elk for meat. Now with the "shoulder seasons" expanded opportunity, meat hunting can occur from mid August until the end of February. Although I have taken advantage of the great hunting opportunity for many years, I am now concerned about the future opportunity for my grandkids, especially if the extended seasons result in the significant elk population reductions sought in Montana.

Elk hunting opportunity in Montana may go from feast to famine in the near future, with the potential for truly having to make a choice between trophy or meat ... and perhaps with the opportunity available not so frequently as now.

I go looking for a better then average animal,but not true trophy sized.I've passed a lot of small bulls,bucks and have no problem doing that.I do like to bring the meat home though.I wouldn't consider myself a trophy hunter though.I will shoot any decent 5x5 or better bull,a 150-160 class deer if more then fine for me.None of which would be considered trophies to a true trophy hunter.I just like to try and find the best representative of the unit I'm hunting with only a week to do it.This year I got a Wy cow elk tag so I can hunt with my son on his type 1 tag.I will shoot any cow and fill the freezer while trying to find him a good bull.I do enjoy elk and antelope meat;deer not so much unless its a blacktail.I basically hunt for the challenge and benefit with the meat if I find what I'm looking for.I always have a goal as to what I want to try and find ahead of my hunt based on what the unit can produce

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moko
Back