Trophy or meat ?

Rooster52

I should draw an Either ..or elk tag in Colorado .My plan is take the first Elk I see.I have been there and passed on cows before and even on some small legal bulls but no more.
Any elk is a trophy to me. Elk meat in the freezer is whole lot better than tag soup.

Depending on how long your hunt is, you may not want to shoot the very first Elk you see especially if its at sunrise on the first day :) Even if you are happy with taking a cow, you may want to watch a few so you can get the biggest cow possible. Again this is just my opinion. I went on my very first Elk hunt last year so I'm not a very experience Elk hunter but just thinking from an experience/opportunity perspective. Like you I would have been happy killing anything; however, some of the guys hunting at the same time as me killed a spike and another guy killed a 0x3 at sunrise of the first day only to see a large 5x5 and 6x6 come out not an hour after that. This was a 5 day hunt and I personally didn't see anything until day 3 so I came to the same conclusion that I was going to shoot the first Elk that stepped out. Lucky for me, that turned out to be a nice 6x6 so I was happy but again several of the other guys were pretty unhappy to have jumped the gun so early in their hunts.

The beauty of hunting - the tag holder gets to decide what they want from the hunt. It is really no concern to anyone else. If you want meat, great. If you want to hold out and extend your hunt, great. No matter the choice, so long as it is the hunter's choice and not pressure from others, it will be a great outcome.

I've eaten a lot of tags while trying to sort out the meat or antlers issue. I now subscribe to the hunters version of "Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," which is commonly stated as "Don't pass on the first day that which you would shoot on the last."

Good luck.

After 50+ elk I see the all as wonderful trophies but even though I am a meat hunter, I still kill the biggest bull if given a choice. Elk hunting is just so exciting because you never know what will come over the hill.

That works for me, I usually only get to Elk Hunt for about 7 or 8 days a year, the 1st 3 days I try for a Bull, but after that a cow is fine with me. and they taste a lot better than tag soup.

Kevin

My Son was here the other day and we applied for the limited draw in Colorado. He shot a really great bull in 2009 (my greatest day of hunting because I was with him when he took the bull). I told him to apply for a bull tag this year, he said Dad, I wont shoot something smaller than I shot in 2009. I said that's where you and I differ. I'll shoot the first legal elk I see, bull or cow, spike or calf. I make a lot if memories when I'm hunting. I don't have to harvest an elk to have a good time but they sure do taste good on a cold Pennsylvania night.

The meat is the trophy. My hiking is pretty limited so just to have a chance at any elk is a great thing to me. Tonight's dinner, elk backstrap.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_2175.JPG
    1-IMG_2175.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 571
I'm a meat hunter to the core. If I'm hunting a general area here in Wyoming I take the first legal animal I can. If it's a limited quota hunt I like to look around. My wife get nervous if it's late in the season and there are only a couple antelope in the freezer.

After last year not scoring in Wyoming ,my wife said this year I better come home with some meat.We both love elk ,deer,moose and antelope meat,with elk and moose high on the list.

The trophy is in the eye of the beholder and can include taking home the experience of the hunt itself without anything for the freezer or the wall.

Some days I sit and look at my wall full of antlers. They remind me of friends from school I have not seen in decades. They remind me of a time when my dad could get out and it was just him, me and the mountain. Looking at the freezer does not give me the same results.
For me, every day is different. Some mornings I am really just out for a walk and would hate to ruin it by taking an elk. Other days I am desperate for meat to share with family and friends. Generally I hate tag soup, but some hunts are hero or bust hunts-that's just how it is.

For me it is the hunt and every thing that goes into it. So far I have only applied for bull tags, but they do not have to be a "trophy". I don't have enough time, money or years left in this body to pass on a nice 5x5, waiting to see that majestic 7x7. In the future there may be more cow tags in my pocket ... I do love those backstraps.

Bull or cow- it's all good! I shot my first cow this year and it was one of my favorite, most memorable elk hunts. Our household eats elk almost everyday and it's ALWAYS a trophy at our dinner table!
Good luck this year and have a great hunt!

Back