Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Tripod shooting stick?

3855WIN

Like Primos makes. Is this a good option for antelope, or just shoot prone over a pack?

both. my plan is to use shooting sticks or pack...also try shooting off your pack using the frame in a sitting/kneeling position.

This. I've got the sticks & the tripod from Primos, but honestly, they're heavy as heck. I carry the trigger stick, but mostly end up using my pack as a rest, or a rock.

I use a set of sticks that is a tri pod you can unscrew the third leg and use as a bi pod as well. They at a bit cumbersome when moving around but are a good shooting platform.

I used a Harris bipod and it worked wonderfully for me. I shot my buck with it prone, and then my doe in a sitting position. I don't remember the exact model, but get the one that pivots. Mine is something like 9-25". 6" may be better for prone, but mine worked just fine for my 340 yard shot. It's always on your gun, quick to deploy, and fully adjustable.

I had my first trip out west this season and shot two goats. One I shot off my pack, the other off the trigger sticks. Sage was just too high. Wouldn't of had a shot without it!

I'm pretty happy with my Bogpod. Take it with me on every antelope trip.

I have mine if I am not going far. It is really nice and you can spread those legs far and get low. But my bipod works well too.

I just got back from my first antelope hunt and the one thing I said I would change about my gear was adding a bi-pod to my rifle. I got it done without the use of one, but found myself a couple times stalking after dumping my pack and all other gear to keep a low profile. With a bi-pod mounted on the rifle it would always be there with you and along for the ride without having to figure out how to carry your shooting sticks efficiently and quietly. If you are thinking of getting a shooting stick set up i would just recommend buying a decent set of trekking poles and crossing them through each others sling handle to create a shooting platform that way you get something that is dual purpose instead of just a shooting aid.

For antelope hunting I'm always going to have a bipod on my rifle and a bogpod tripod setup because quite often the sage brush is too high for a prone 13" bipod. At this point I might even go so far as to carry a rear bag for shots from a bipod because of the opportunities from 300-400 yard that often come up on big flat areas and that really helps stabilize you.

You can definitely shoot off of a pack like a Mystery Ranch Metcalf from a sitting position, but weight isn't a huge concern day hunting for antelope so I'll carry the extra gear. I've seen way too many antelope shots get missed to not carry shooting aids and to be familiar with them shooting at the range before hand.

I too just finished my first antelope hunt. I had a 9-14" bipod and a pair of shooting sticks. I killed a buck and doe and both times wished I had a longer bipod. I killed both off the sticks, one at 279 yards and the other I didn't range but it was 275-300. The sage and grass was too tall for that short bipod, and the sticks just aren't steady enough for me at distance. Next time I will for sure have a pivoting bipod that extends to 20"+.

I just got back and had a 9-27 inch bipod (Junk Cadwell - never again going Harris next time. ) It was perfect and much needed!

I prefer the bog pod tripod over the primos trigger stick tripod. This year I got a Caldwell dead shot feild pod it's heavier and more bulky then other tripods but it's also far more stable I feel it really makes a difference on 300+ yard shots.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back